Windows 10: Microsoft - Apathy or Intent

Discus and support Microsoft - Apathy or Intent in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Microsoft - Apathy or Intent VI Keeton started on November 12, 2015 [img] I posted this on another Microsoft website last night and am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vicky, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Vicky Win User

Microsoft - Apathy or Intent

Microsoft - Apathy or Intent VI

Keeton started on November 12, 2015
    Microsoft - Apathy or Intent [​IMG]

I posted this on another Microsoft website last night and am following the suggestion given that I post on this website.

I could bore you with pages and pages of my interactions with Microsoft for the past 1 1/2 weeks but I'll make it as brief as I can.

If you have searched as many places as I have for fixes for Win 10, you'll know many of the people who tested different builds of the software, even up to a few days of release, told the powers at Microsoft that Win 10 was not ready for release and they told them why. Unfortunately for me, my research was too late. I upgraded, trusting Microsoft. My husband was quite ill and, two days after I upgraded, we left town for two months. Not until my return 1 1/2 weeks ago, when I started using the desktop again, did I realize what a horrible mistake I made...too late to go back to Win 7. I have overcome many issues and learned many work-arounds by spending hours and hours reading and researching and following advice of many on Microsoft forums like this; however, one issue remains and that is of constant high cpu and memory issues any time I open a website/page. If I dare to open more than one page, I'm at 99%-100% and the system freezes making my computer useless.

Yesterday Microsoft tech spent 3 hours remotely checking computer, doing many of the same diagnostic tests I had already done. After those three hours, when she could find nothing wrong, she told me she had done everything she could do and she really felt I had a hardware problem. I told her I had already talked with Asus and updated all drivers. She then said I could pay $149 for level 2 tech support. I questioned why I need to pay Microsoft for something that had all the appearances of being a problem with their software. Again, she said I had a hardware problem.

Today, after 1 1/2 hours with tech support, remotely doing all the same things the tech did yesterday, I'm told I really needed to get rid of Kaspersky, that it was causing all my problems. I explained I had Kaspersky for years and never had an issue. I suggested we disable Kaspersky to show her the problem would still exist. She said it wouldn't make any difference, the "infection" was already in my system and only she could fix the problem with her "tools" but I would need to pay $149 before she could use her "tools". She further said many clients with Kaspersky had the same issues as mine and all was fixed when they uninstalled Kaspersky and used only Windows Defender....again after they paid $149 for her "tools" to fix the infection. (I offered to make a bet with a level 2 tech that if he/she found an infection, I would pay but if he/she found a software issue, I would not pay but it didn't work.) During her time on my computer, I started getting warning pop-ups that memory was low and I should take precautions. She initially said this was part of the infection until she verified it was an actual warning from Microsoft at which time she admitted this was a "known issue" with Microsoft and they were taking steps to correct the issue. After hours with Kaspersky UPPER LEVEL TECHNICIANS (for no additional cost), I'm quite sure my computer is not infected.
    This evening, I spent over an hour with a Microsoft tech who said my problem was most likely involving the old Win 7 software on my machine and I could pay to have level 2 techs fix the issue. None of the three people could address the fact I didn't have an update to Win 10 that was supposed to have come down since I got my computer. None could tell me what actual updates I should have. All looked at "installed updates" and I had all I needed because it said so. After I pressed the issue, the third tech. looked up the number I gave him and I heard him muttering something about that update not going through...something Microsoft was well aware of. All three people said I could go back to Win 7 and I told them I was far beyond the one-month period where you could automatically do that. Then they said I could re-install Win 7, on my own, with the software cd. I don't have that. Software was already installed and I only had the key number. The third person did give me a product key to do a "clean install" of Windows 10. When I asked for advice about doing this myself, he started talking about me needing "...only to delete all the partitions on the disk but one...". I don't know what the hell a "partition" is but it looks like I'm going to find out if I want a functioning computer. This brings me to another major issue with Microsoft written material, tech conversations, etc.

I am an average computer user. I do research, browse, send emails, etc. I AM NOT A COMPUTER GEEK/NERD. I AM NOT EXPERIENCED IN TERMINOLOGY. I DO NOT BUILD MY OWN COMPUTERS. I DO NOT HAVE $149 TO GIVE MICROSOFT OR ANY OTHER COMPUTER EXPERT. I do manage, with my limited knowledge, to do more than just the basic things on the computer but I and millions of others shouldn't have to deal with software issues that 1) we know nothing about and 2) that Microsoft techs know nothing about. My experience yesterday and today, having three different techs give me three different excuses for an apparent software failure just about put me over the edge. With regard to Win 10 and all updates, Microsoft needs to understand they're not giving enough support and that support needs to be presented in such a way the average user can understand. Don't start reeling off instructions, explanations, (or excuses) using terminology most don't understand. After reading many of the discussions on this sight, I know why people don't respond after asking for and getting well intentioned advice. It's because they have no idea how to use the advice they've been given. To those with all the knowledge, please don't say we shouldn't have computers. Just say Microsoft needs to do a better job of developing software before they push it on the public. Please have patience with those of us who struggle to simply have a properly functioning computer. Thanks for letting me rant before I go try to do a clean install of Win 10. If that doesn't solve my problem, where do I go from there?

11/12/15 Today, I did a clean install of Windows 10 and, guess what? My cpu and memory numbers are as high as they've been since I started this ordeal....freezing. First call to support tonight, without any identifying information, I was told it was my "processor" at fault and I needed to call the computer manufacturer. I told the man, I had again, checked drivers today both with Microsoft and a 3rd party program and everything was as it should be. When I told the man his was the fourth excuse and I needed specific information, he hung up on me. Second phone call to support....I'm told my system is not compatible with Win 10. This is after two phone calls earlier today with support techs who told me, as long as I had at least 4g, everything was fine for a clean install. (I hate to state the obvious but, when initiating the upgrade, I distinctly remember the system checking for "compatibility".) Second tech tonight tells me my system is not on the Microsoft "list" of manufacturers/models that are compatible. When I asked why multiple techs had not told me that before, she started her spiel all over again. I have invested not hours, but days in this mess and, initially I was dumb enough to think I was talking to half-way intelligent, trained technicians; however, I was wrong. I will not put in print what I think about Microsoft and Win 10 but I will express my thoughts to every single person I know and to many I don't know in whatever way I can find. I am left with a computer that is not functioning. I didn't realize last night when I "titled" this how much more meaningful it would be this evening. Thank you Microsoft for your attention to your customers and I'm so sorry I stupid enough to believe.

:)

Vicky, Nov 12, 2015

2. Microsoft - Apathy or Intent

I could bore you with pages and pages of my interactions with Microsoft for the past 1 1/2 weeks but I'll make it as brief as I can.

If you have searched as many places as I have for fixes for Win 10, you'll know many of the people who tested different builds of the software, even up to a few days of release, told the powers at Microsoft that Win 10 was not ready for release and they
    told them why. Unfortunately for me, my research was too late. I upgraded, trusting Microsoft. My husband was quite ill and, two days after I upgraded, we left town for two months. Not until my return 1 1/2 weeks ago, when I started using the desktop again,
    did I realize what a horrible mistake I made...too late to go back to Win 7. I have overcome many issues and learned many work-arounds by spending hours and hours reading and researching and following advice of many on Microsoft forums like this; however,
    one issue remains and that is of constant high cpu and memory issues any time I open a website/page. If I dare to open more than one page, I'm at 99%-100% and the system freezes making my computer useless.

Yesterday Microsoft tech spent 3 hours remotely checking computer, doing many of the same diagnostic tests I had already done. After those three hours, when she could find nothing wrong, she told me she had done everything she could do and she really felt
    I had a hardware problem. I told her I had already talked with Asus and updated all drivers. She then said I could pay $149 for level 2 tech support. I questioned why I need to pay Microsoft for something that had all the appearances of being a problem with
    their software. Again, she said I had a hardware problem.

Today, after 1 1/2 hours with tech support, remotely doing all the same things the tech did yesterday, I'm told I really needed to get rid of Kaspersky, that it was causing all my problems. I explained I had Kaspersky for years and never had an issue. I
    suggested we disable Kaspersky to show her the problem would still exist. She said it wouldn't make any difference, the "infection" was already in my system and only she could fix the problem with her "tools" but I would need to pay $149 before she could
    use her "tools". She further said many clients with Kaspersky had the same issues as mine and all was fixed when they uninstalled Kaspersky and used only Windows Defender....again after they paid $149 for her "tools" to fix the infection. (I offered to make
    a bet with a level 2 tech that if he/she found an infection, I would pay but if he/she found a software issue, I would not pay but it didn't work.) During her time on my computer, I started getting warning pop-ups that memory was low and I should take precautions.
    She initially said this was part of the infection until she verified it was an actual warning from Microsoft at which time she admitted this was a "known issue" with Microsoft and they were taking steps to correct the issue. After hours with Kaspersky
    UPPER LEVEL TECHNICIANS (for no additional cost), I'm quite sure my computer is not infected.

This evening, I spent over an hour with a Microsoft tech who said my problem was most likely involving the old Win 7 software on my machine and I could pay to have level 2 techs fix the issue. None of the three people could address the fact I didn't have
    an update to Win 10 that was supposed to have come down since I got my computer. None could tell me what actual updates I should have. All looked at "installed updates" and I had all I needed because it said so. After I pressed the issue, the third tech. looked
    up the number I gave him and I heard him muttering something about that update not going through...something Microsoft was well aware of. All three people said I could go back to Win 7 and I told them I was far beyond the one-month period where you could automatically
    do that. Then they said I could re-install Win 7, on my own, with the software cd. I don't have that. Software was already installed and I only had the key number. The third person did give me a product key to do a "clean install" of Windows 10. When I
    asked for advice about doing this myself, he started talking about me needing "...only to delete all the partitions on the disk but one...". I don't know what the hell a "partition" is but it looks like I'm going to find out if I want a functioning computer.
    This brings me to another major issue with Microsoft written material, tech conversations, etc.

I am an average computer user. I do research, browse, send emails, etc. I AM NOT A COMPUTER GEEK/NERD. I AM NOT EXPERIENCED IN TERMINOLOGY. I DO NOT BUILD MY OWN COMPUTERS. I DO NOT HAVE $149 TO GIVE MICROSOFT OR ANY OTHER COMPUTER EXPERT.
    I do manage, with my limited knowledge, to do more than just the basic things on the computer but I and millions of others shouldn't have to deal with software issues that 1) we know nothing about and 2) that Microsoft techs know nothing about. My
    experience yesterday and today, having three different techs give me three different excuses for an apparent software failure just about put me over the edge. With regard to Win 10 and all updates, Microsoft needs to understand they're not giving enough support
    and that support needs to be presented in such a way the average user can understand. Don't start reeling off instructions, explanations, (or excuses) using terminology most don't understand. After reading many of the discussions on this sight, I know why
    people don't respond after asking for and getting well intentioned advice. It's because they have no idea how to use the advice they've been given. To those with all the knowledge, please don't say we shouldn't have computers. Just say Microsoft needs to do
    a better job of developing software before they push it on the public. Please have patience with those of us who struggle to simply have a properly functioning computer. Thanks for letting me rant before I go try to do a clean install of Win 10. If that
    doesn't solve my problem, where do I go from there?

VickyKeeton, Nov 12, 2015
  3. BradWP Win User

"Then they said I could re-install Win 7, on my own, with the software cd. I don't have that. Software was already installed and I only had the key number."

You can make your own win 7 media

Where to Download Windows 10, 8.1, and 7 ISOs Legally

Don't forget to make backups, copies of all your important stuff if you do go ahead with reinstall

Edited 16/11/2015 my apologies this won't work, i typed my product key (manufacturer) in the space provided and it won't accept it.

BradWP, Nov 12, 2015
  4. Microsoft - Apathy or Intent

The last time I had a similar issue it was a fried cpu and a fried temperature control circuit. The PC would start and immediately use all the memory and the cpu would load to 100 %, superheat beyond limits then crash. Real expensive laptop. RIP. BTW you probably are more knowledgeable than MS tech support. If this is your case and it sounds like it. The only remedy is to replace either the motherboard, and cpu or get a new pc/laptop. Not what you wanted to hear probably. BTW I doubt it has anything to do with drivers. A real thermal stability issue in my opinion and I have seen several.

lopedoggie, Nov 12, 2015
  5. Dude Win User
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. You should list your specs. Also, it is not to late to go back to Windows 7.

This is not a Microsoft forum, it is users who help other users.

6. badrobot Win User
    Sorry for your issues. Do you mind sharing with us the specs of your PC?

badrobot, Nov 12, 2015
  7. Atomic77 Win User
    I personally think that WINDOWS 10 will not and could not cause a computer to over heat. I think the problem is alot of people don't know what they are doing to begin with and depending on the age of the system Windows 10 may not be the best fit for some systems. Microsoft is a good company. if this newest OS wasn't ready Im sure that Microsoft would of waited alot longer on it.

Atomic77, Nov 12, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

I really don't mean to be disrespectful, so please don't take it as that. BUT... I couldn't bring myself to care enough to read more than a few sentences of your tirade.

You had problems with the upgrade. Lots of people did. Just like lots of people had problems with the Windows 8 upgrade, and the 8.1 upgrade, and the windows 7 upgrade. Most people don't do OS upgrades, they simply buy new computers and get the new OS on a machine that was designed for it.

Simply put, OS upgrades are at best a 90% successful activity, and a certain percentage of people will always have issues that require reinstalling from scratch. Not all computers will be compatible with the new OS. Not all existing software will be compatible, and Microsoft simply cannot ensure that every possible configuration is thoroughly tested as there are trillions of permutations of hardware, software, and firmware.

You aren't forced to upgrade. You could have stayed on your old OS. And no, it's not too late to go back to Windows 7. Whoever told you that is an idiot.

Yes, you will find thousands, if not millions of people who had problems with the upgrade, but consider well over 100 Million people have done so, that probably means less than 1 or 2% of the population had trouble. Those are very good statistics.

Mystere, Nov 12, 2015
  9. Vicky Win User
    Thanks for your responses. As explained, I don't pretend to be tech savvy; however, when I talked to people who are paid to have some basic knowledge about their software and each of them tells me something different, I get a little frustrated. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to depend on level one techs at Microsoft. I called Microsoft and Asus before I upgraded in August and was assured my simple desktop unit was adequate. I won't go through more of the nightmare.

I have an Asus desktop, CM1630, AMD Athlon II x2 220, 2.8 Ghz, with 4g (1.9 used, 3.7 available). I don't do gaming, watch movies, download music. etc. I don't have it loaded down with anything but the very basic operating system that worked perfectly with Win 7. I have screenshots but I don't know how to resize them for you. When I attach, they are much too small to read. I will learn how to re-size and provide them.

Vicky, Nov 12, 2015
  10. AveYo Win User
    Just stop using Internet Explorer, there are far better alternatives. Like Firefox. Or your installed Chrome.

And cleanup your pup(potentially unwanted programs). Stuff like driver support
    You seem more than able to follow instructions and diy, for free. But first you need to uninstall your Kaspersky AV. Temporarily. Then use softare to help you clean up things:
    rkill
    adwcleaner
    junkware
    In that order. Afterwards, you can reinstall your Kaspersky AV.

You could post more detail info about your system, there's an app at the BSOD section I believe that can gather that data, or AIDA64 Extreme (trial) or you could use my old, simple list_my_programs.bat script - just right-click - Run as Administrator - it will create a report on your desktop (dxdiag+installed programs+running tasks).

It sure does not look like a hardware issue.

AveYo, Nov 12, 2015
  11. bro67 Win User
    Is there any way that we can get the condensed version of what is going on.

bro67, Nov 12, 2015
  12. badrobot Win User
    If you are switching to Windows 10, you should stop using Internet Explorer. Either use the new Edge browser that comes with Win 10 or install a third party like Chrome, Firefox, Nitro, etc.
    Also, do yourself a little favor and add more RAM to that PC (maybe another 4GB?). If you don't know how to find the right RAM for your PC, you can go to crucial.com website and use the system scanner. It will help you determine compatible RAM modules for your PC (it will give you suggestions what to get).

Also, go to ASUS website to download the latest drivers for your PC. I just checked it out and there are no Windows 10 drivers for your PC but I am sure Windows 8.1 driver will work fine. Since you did a clean install, I am sure you are only using generic drivers that came with Windows 10.

https://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/Essen...Desk_Download/

badrobot, Nov 12, 2015
  13. bro67 Win User

Badrobot 10 will work fine with 4 GB of RAM, if the person is just doing Web Browsing, checking email or using an Office program. I run with 12 GB on my wife's laptop. Windows 10 only touches maybe 2.5 GB of the RAM. The rest is used as Swap, to help speed up browsing, etc..

10 is a lot better at memory management then 8 was.

bro67, Nov 12, 2015
  14. Vicky Win User
    The same cpu/memory situation happens on Edge and Google

I will do as all of you have suggested and let you know what happens. Thanks so much for your time!

Vicky, Nov 12, 2015
  15. badrobot Win User
    That's just a suggestion. But adding RAM will go a long way of course and 4GB is really just pushing it if you are on desktop. But I think her main issue is the CPU usage and not the RAM.

badrobot, Nov 12, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft - Apathy or Intent - Similar Threads - Microsoft Apathy Intent

2. Is this intentional? If not, could it be fixed?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Is this intentional? If not, could it be fixed?: when you REQUEST screen time, it always uses up the time even if i log out, so if i was given 4 hours via a request, 2 hours in I would sign out and come back in a few hours, only to see that I have run out of screen time...
  3. Is this intentional? If not, could it be fixed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this intentional? If not, could it be fixed?: when you REQUEST screen time, it always uses up the time even if i log out, so if i was given 4 hours via a request, 2 hours in I would sign out and come back in a few hours, only to see that I have run out of screen time...
  4. Is this intentional? If not, could it be fixed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is "Microsoft Search" intention to show also hits for mails and onenotes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is "Microsoft Search" intention to show also hits for mails and onenotes?: Hi,Is "Microsoft Search" intention to show also hits for mails and onenotes? When i use windows search, it search only in these areas:AppsDocumentsWebSettingsPersonsFolders PhotosMy index settings are default, and shows me also OneNote and Outlook as Index options.Many...
  6. Is Microsoft Photos intentionally bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Microsoft Photos intentionally bad?: I am old. I remember 2001 or something. CPU Celeron 1000 MHz. 1 core. Single threaded. Drive with actual magnet disks. Any photo viewer JUST WORKS. You click a photo file, and it opens in 0.5 second. You scroll your mouse wheel, and photos are chanings one another. It is so...
  7. Is Microsoft Photos intentionally bad?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Microsoft Photos intentionally bad?: I am old. I remember 2001 or something. CPU Celeron 1000 MHz. 1 core. Single threaded. Drive with actual magnet disks. Any photo viewer JUST WORKS. You click a photo file, and it opens in 0.5 second. You scroll your mouse wheel, and photos are chanings one another. It is so...
  8. Microsoft AMD Drivers Intentional Breaking of my laptops Features

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft AMD Drivers Intentional Breaking of my laptops Features: I want to know how and what to look for the 2 Microsoft AMD Drivers installed everytime you wipe with ddu and to remove all drivers from pc... I tried the guides on turning off microsoft auto updates and i tried manual update... I want to find the 2 microsoft drivers and...
  9. Slowing PC down intentionally?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slowing PC down intentionally?: I make games using Unity, but my PC can’t even handle my own games. Is there any way I can slow down Unity so it doesn’t skip frames but slows them all down so that I can record the “slow-motion” version and speed it up in a video editor? I want to record my game for a...
  10. Does microsoft intentionally infect users with the com surrogate virus?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does microsoft intentionally infect users with the com surrogate virus?: I am a novice when it comes to using the computer. I recently had some problems and asked for help from some "professionals" at eset. I think they accused me of having tried to circumvent some microsoft rules and said that you intentionally infected users with the com...