Windows 10: Microsoft Boot Option in My Bios

Discus and support Microsoft Boot Option in My Bios in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I run windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8920 computer. Until just a few days ago there were only (3) boot options in my bios and they are Windows Boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ChuckClausen, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Microsoft Boot Option in My Bios

Hi,

I run windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8920 computer. Until just a few days ago there were only (3) boot options in my bios and they are Windows Boot Manager, Onboard NIC (IPV4) and (IPV6). Now, suddenly, out of nowhere, there is a fourth option named (microsoft).

I have no idea where this fourth option came from or why it's on my computer. Microsoft certainly never told me in anyway that they were changing or adding a new boot option in my bios and I never asked them to do so. I want to know how and why this additional option was put on my computer. I'm concerned that this may be a security breech because Microsoft didn't tell me that they were making changes to my computer. Does Microsoft even know that this kind of change is happening? So far, all of the tech support people who I have spoken to say they are completely unaware of this issue. The Dell Support representative who I spoke with connected with a Microsoft representative who said he had never heard of such a change taking place and dismissed my concern. Of course that only heighted my concern and made me more determined than ever to find out why the boot bios on my computer has been altered.

If somebody could enlighten me about this change I would seriously appreciate the help and the education.

Thanks.

C.C.

:)

ChuckClausen, Jul 24, 2018

2. Powercolor RX480 BIOS required

Find the unverified bios option.

eidairaman1, Jul 24, 2018
  3. UEFI boot options disappeared from BIOS; now getting reboot and select proper boot device

In short, I need to get the system/BIOS to allow UEFI booting of the SSD.

Computer started up today with default BIOS settings.

• Only SSD 1(Windows boot) and SSD 2 were listed in BIOS; HDD 1 and HDD 2 were not visible
    • System would not boot. Gave the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message
    • Boot menu has no UEFI/EFI (or Windows Boot Manager) entries anymore
    I went into Partition Magic/Gparted and confirmed :

• All drives are still showing
    • All drives' data is in tact [EFI volume/partition is still listed (and can be browsed/files accessible)]
    Gparted print out (note dev/sda2 apparently that is normal behavior) :

/dev/sda1 (locked) EFI System Partition--Fat32--/media/sda1--100.00mb--46.81MiB--53.19MiB--boot,esp
    /dev/sda2 (exclamation mark) Microsoft reserved partition--unknown file system--no mount point--128.00MiB--unused spaced--msftres
    /dev/sda3 basic data partition--ntfs--/media/sda3--118.58GiB--70.78GiB--47.80GiB--msftdata
    /dev/sda4--ntfs--/media/sda4--450.00MiB--327.71MiB--122.29MiB--hidden,diag

As I am able to boot Windows installation from USB, I tried the standard startup repair. It said it was not able to fix any problems.

Next I tried to repair the EFI with Diskpart in the shell:

• sel vol 1 (note that Diskpart states EFI partition is 'hidden')
    • assign letter=z:
    • cd /d z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s vz /f ALL
    It completed all tasks successfully. Unfortunately that did not work.

Other things I have tried :

• Removing CMOS battery and replacing with a new one - my HDD started showing up again after doing this.
    • Using the old MBR commands(in hopes it would force the Windows startup repair to recognize and fix a problem)
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd​
    • Loaded BIOS 'optimized'/defaults (the system did this already once before, hence why I am in this situation, though doing it manually seemed like an option worth trying. Note that after doing this and restarting the system, HDD's stopped showing again)
    • Removed new CMOS battery and left it out of the system for thirty minutes
    • Formatted EFI and msftres partitions, then rebuilt the EFI boot records
    In summary, am looking to force the BIOS to see the EFI partition on the SSD boot drive, as it is not an option any longer.

newconroer, Jul 24, 2018
  4. Microsoft Boot Option in My Bios

Booting to BIOS

look to see if it has some sort of "boot to bios" option. im lost with this one....i cant think of much more than what ive suggested. Most Motherboards have different Bios/booting options. Try them all , see if makes a change.

if nothing works, time to contact the Manufacturer.

Sorry I couldnt be of help

jboydgolfer, Jul 24, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Boot Option in My Bios

1. Microsoft Boot Option in My Bios - Similar Threads - Microsoft Boot Option

2. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  3. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  4. Why is there no USB option in my BIOS boot menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is there no USB option in my BIOS boot menu?: How do I fix this? So far, but without success, I have tried:Resetting BIOS to default settings Activated F12 & restarted pressing F12 the USB does not appear Checked so that my ports and the USB version is compatible YES & so that the USB works to boot from, on another...
  5. Why is there no USB option in my BIOS boot menu?

Why is there no USB option in my BIOS boot menu?: How do I fix this? So far, but without success, I have tried:Resetting BIOS to default settings Activated F12 & restarted pressing F12 the USB does not appear Checked so that my ports and the USB version is compatible YES & so that the USB works to boot from, on another...
  6. Missing "Add Boot Option" in BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing "Add Boot Option" in BIOS: I recently removed my HDD and added an empty SSD into my ASUS laptop, after I turn on my laptop it boots me into BIOS and the Boot Menu is empty, in Advanced Settings -> Boot there are just two options, Fast Boot and Delete Boot Option, there's no Add Boot Option and my...
  7. Missing "Add Boot Option" in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing "Add Boot Option" in BIOS: I recently removed my HDD and added an empty SSD into my ASUS laptop, after I turn on my laptop it boots me into BIOS and the Boot Menu is empty, in Advanced Settings -> Boot there are just two options, Fast Boot and Delete Boot Option, there's no Add Boot Option and my...
  8. Missing "Add Boot Option" in BIOS

9. Can’t access boot options in BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t access boot options in BIOS: In the BIOS I can’t get into the boot settings unless I have my HDD plugged in. So I took the HDD out and installed e SSD so that it could only launch off SSD and now in the bios it’s not even letting me choose what to use as boot option 1. If I check the boot sequence by...
  10. SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS: I recently cloned my system to my SSD (laptop crashed, when it got fixed windows was installed on my hard drive instead, but laptop came with SSD). I am trying to set it as the boot option in BIOS, but it isn't appearing. The SSD is working fine normally, as I said I...