Windows 10: Microsoft Confirms the Windows 10 Start Menu Is Getting New Features

Discus and support Microsoft Confirms the Windows 10 Start Menu Is Getting New Features in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Third-party apps that bring back the Start menu on modern Windows and try to make the desktop a better world might not be needed anymore, as Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Mar 9, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Microsoft Confirms the Windows 10 Start Menu Is Getting New Features

Source

labeeman, Mar 9, 2015
  2. swarfega Win User

Waiting is the hard part.

:)

swarfega, Mar 9, 2015
  3. Win+X context menu shortcuts not working

I can confirm (on my Windows 10 notebook) that Airdroid Desktop Client 3.1.4 causes the right click start context menu (clicking the icons) to stop working, i.e., the context menu pops up, but clicking on any icon does nothing.

I uninstalled Airdroid 3.1.4 and used CCleaner to fix any Airdroid related registry issues, restarted Windows 10 and the context menu works just fine.

There is a new desktop "widget" feature in the Airdroid Client 3.1.4 that most likely conflicts with the shell extensions of the start context menu in Windows 10.

I'll be using a previous version of Airdroid in order to avoid the issue until Airdroid and/or Microsoft fixes it.

P.S. the widget feature works pretty good...

randallhill, Mar 9, 2015
  4. Microsoft Confirms the Windows 10 Start Menu Is Getting New Features

Microsoft gives too little information

This post is not so much about the content of Microsoft Windows 10 but the campaign that Microsoft has built around it, with Windows 10 Microsoft introduced a lot of new features that would make power-users drool, but instead of showing everyone how handy
    the operating system is, Microsoft has launched a horrible marketing campaign that gives almost no-one information about the awesome new features.

This is the state of the marketing campaign.

The campaign around Microsoft Windows 10 has been lackluster, instead of focusing on new features Microsoft is only saying ''hey everyone, we welcome back ''THE TRADITIONAL START MENU, AND IT'S BACK, AND IT'S BACK FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER'',
    so take a grab of Microsoft Windows 10, hooray, everyone, hooray, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU, START-MENU,
    START-MENU, START-MENU.'' which is, basically the entire marketing campaign right now. I can understand this from a certain point as people who have been tricked into believing that Windows 8.x is mouse-unfriendly wouldn't upgrade, or the fact that Microsoft
    is basically forced to concede and bring the start-menu back as the Media is holding Microsoft Windows hostage until it returns, and 99.999 out of the 100.000 reviews written on Microsoft Windows 10 concentrate almost
    exclusively on the return of Windows 7's Start-Menu.

The above wouldn't be that bad if only... Now let's look at the video's, Microsoft portrays us as babies, meanwhile the people who swear by Windows are usually power-users, but the whole ''Baby campaign'' is basically saying that we're all babies who are
    afraid of change and need FAMILIARITY in order to upgrade, and nothing else, until now none of the 10 reasons given were new features, not virtual desktops, not improved security, or Xbox Gaming, not even Cortana.

If I wanted to buy products from a company who sees their users are dumb babies I'd go to Apple, in fact they're quite open about how they see their users in their ads, Microsoft shouldn't stoop to this level, please make some power-user centric ads soon,
    you can have both demographics.

Don't get me wrong, the whole campaign with Windows Phone 8.1 (Blue) failed because Microsoft was obsessed about showing Cortana as the main reason to switch despite iOS and Android users having more mature personal voice assistants in the form of Siri and
    Google Now, and deep down I'm glad to see Microsoft not emphisising on Cortana this much again, at all in fact, but Cortana does translate to interconnectivity and is a prime reason for people to switch to Bing.

What can be improved.

Please, just please showcase more new features in order to switch, I fully understand the strategy, to Windows 8.x users ''hey, you'll get Windows 7 back'', and to Windows 7 users ''Hey, you'll just get a better computer, FREE'', but Microsoft forgets that
    almost no features were removed from Windows 7 in Windows 8, only 2 things the media picked up on, the start-button (which swiftly returned) and the start-menu, both are back now, instead of obsessing over the return of old features, it's time to teach users
    the power of Microsoft Windows 10.

So far the marketing campaign makes no mention about the interconnectivity between devices in Microsoft Windows 10, it barely even mentions the Phone Companion application, and Cortana is only talked about with those who've reserved, I do understand it though,
    with the initial launch of Windows 10 FULLY focus on THE TRADITIONAL START-MENU, fully show consumers something familiar is back, new features will be marketed in future updates, when Skype applications will come, and when Windows 10 Mobile launches we'll
    probably see that, but I hope that the year ''thinking time'' Microsoft has given users will come with a better marketing campaing, because the only people that will upgrade on ''day 1'' will be START-MENU-LOVERS, only afterwards will people upgrade for the
    stability, new features, Etc.

Please market those things, market improved security more, give us a reason to love Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Xbox, Microsoft Skype, Microsoft Cortana, Etc.

Randomalianfromvietnam, Mar 9, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    I don't think transparency and effects are the primary reasons people use a replacement...

Mystere, Mar 9, 2015
  6. Trust_No1 Win User
    *Wink I got it

I agree

But again this is a Softpedia statement, so who knows

Trust_No1, Mar 9, 2015
  7. BRKKAB Win User
    They really need to add the ability to make it taller. All you can do now is make it smaller. That's not exactly of any use to a desktop user or someone that plugs a display into their laptop or tablet.

BRKKAB, Mar 9, 2015
  8. Boozad Win User

You can make it taller. Start Menu - Resize in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Boozad, Mar 9, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Can't wait to see what the changes are. Should be fun.. I hope. *Smile

BunnyJ, Mar 9, 2015
  10. badrobot Win User
    MS is just making things complicated when it comes to start menu. All they need to add is a toggle button to switch between classic and modern start menu if they want to make everyone happy.

badrobot, Mar 9, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I still would like to see some new features. Well, I would like to see what ideas that MS is coming up with. Having a toggle button would be nice but I think I would love to have more than that.

BunnyJ, Mar 9, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    I'll be honest, I only need the start menu/screen for the modern apps I use. What I use most has a shortcut to desktop(hidden to desktop toolbar) and Even with windows 7 if I needed something I just used the search box in the menu and on 8 the charms search box, The start screen is is better if I want a quick over view but that's it, desktop search/Cortana will probably be faster for me.

Cliff S, Mar 9, 2015
  13. Microsoft Confirms the Windows 10 Start Menu Is Getting New Features

It isn't,
    But third parties give what Microsoft fails to do options that should be built in.

ThrashZone, Mar 9, 2015
  14. badrobot Win User
    I don't think MS will give us everything anyway. It's other live tiles or glass. But I don't personally go for the looks. I just need a functional start menu.

badrobot, Mar 9, 2015
  15. Get rid of that side bar waste of space for Places and the singular recently installed entry, I'll be dandy.

On a similar note, I don't really like how live tiles update visually. It's a fade through effect and looks very dull. The old 8.1 style of sliding up and down catches your attention. In 10, I sometimes feel like tiles aren't updating.

Coke Robot, Mar 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft Confirms the Windows 10 Start Menu Is Getting New Features - Similar Threads - Microsoft Confirms Start

2. Microsoft confirms Windows 10 22H2 will ship with a scoped set of new features

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 10 22H2 will ship with a scoped set of new features: The world can’t stop talking about Windows 11 as it continues to ship on millions of new devices around the world. Windows 11 has received mixed reviews, with some users criticizing the “sweeping visual rejuvenation” of the Start menu and taskbar. On the other hand, some...
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu is getting a new option under the power menu

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Start Menu is getting a new option under the power menu: Microsoft is testing multiple new features for Windows 10 and the last preview build introduced a few big changes, including the ability to update Paint through the Microsoft Store. In the preview builds, another noticeable change is a new option under the power menu that let...
  4. Microsoft confirms Windows 10’s new feature will suggest tools and services

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 10’s new feature will suggest tools and services: For the past two months, Microsoft has been testing a new personalization setting that will suggest tools to help you optimize Windows 10. Based on your device usage, Microsoft says it will provide suggestions for tools, services and tips from various categories, such as...
  5. Microsoft confirms Windows 10 21H1 update, reveals one new feature

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 10 21H1 update, reveals one new feature: Microsoft has quietly confirmed that Windows 10 21H1 would be the next feature update and it will arrive in early 2021, as previously rumoured. There have been clues over the past few months that Microsoft is shifting to a new ‘minor-major’ update cadence in 2021 to focus on...
  6. Microsoft confirms Windows 10 issues with network, Start Menu tiles

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 10 issues with network, Start Menu tiles: Microsoft has confirmed two new bugs in Windows 10 and promised that it has already started working on a fix. As we recently reported, Windows 10 has got a nasty bug that’s disrupting the internet connection of some folks when users launch Microsoft Store apps or enable VPN...
  7. Windows 10 gets new refresh rate feature, Start Menu search tweaks

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 gets new refresh rate feature, Start Menu search tweaks: Microsoft is rolling out a new Windows 10 update with improvements for built-in display monitor settings and Windows Search experience. In the preview builds, Microsoft is testing a new feature that will allow you to change the refresh rate of your display. The feature is...
  8. Microsoft Edge gets a new security feature on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge gets a new security feature on Windows 10: Microsoft’s new Edge browser ships with Windows Defender Application Gaud to protect the rest of the Windows 10 operating system from potentially harmful websites. Microsoft remains committed to enhancing the security of its browser and the software giant is now testing PUA...
  9. Microsoft confirms Windows 10 KB4515384 breaks Start menu

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms Windows 10 KB4515384 breaks Start menu: Start menu and Windows Search are two of the most important features that are bundled in Windows 10, but both fail to work on some PCs with Windows 10 KB4515384. Windows 10 KB4515384 was released on September 10 and the update is downloaded in the background automatically....
  10. Microsoft Photos app for Windows 10 gets a new feature

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Photos app for Windows 10 gets a new feature: Microsoft’s image search is a breeze in Edge web browsers. In old or new Edge, you have to right-click on any image to find similar images on the web through Bing. But what when you’re on desktop and want to do a reverse image search? Microsoft Photos app can help you do...