Windows 10: Microsoft Edge Cache Database - please make it stop!

Discus and support Microsoft Edge Cache Database - please make it stop! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Just installed Windows 10. Microsoft Edge stinks, so I continue using Chrome, using IE11 for a backup. I run CCleaner regularly, usually more than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DennisHallack, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Microsoft Edge Cache Database - please make it stop!

Just installed Windows 10. Microsoft Edge stinks, so I continue using Chrome, using IE11 for a backup.

I run CCleaner regularly, usually more than once a day. Disregarding the notion of whether I ought to be running it that often, I write to complain of the message I get (see screen grab attached) that the Microsoft Edge Cache Database must be closed for CCleaner to run.

Since I'm not even using Edge, I am left to wonder why its cache database is running. I would like to disable the stupid thing, but haven't found a way, as yet. I'm perfectly comfortable making changes in group policy, the registry, etc., as may be necessary to accomplish my goal.

Your perspectives and observations will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

:)

DennisHallack, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Tobus' Win User

Internet Explorer & MS Edge turning on(and staying on) upon startup by themselves.

Every time I use my "C Cleaner", when I hit "Run Cleaner" this message pops up. " Microsoft Edge Cache Database and Internet Explorer needs to be closed to clean Internet cache. Do you want CCleaner to close Microsoft Edge Cache Database and Internet Explorer?".
    Does anyone happen to know why they do this, and possibly, how do I stop them from doing this? Any,and all, help would be awesome! Thank You!

Tobus', Jul 30, 2015
  3. edge website visits cache in ie11 when invoked from outlook 2016

When accessing a link in a Outlook 2016 email, the site opens in Edge(the default browser). The Cookies are cached in IE 11, which is set to delete history on exit and is not checked for ":Allow caches and databases" Cookies and other files in IE 11
    from Outlook/Edge sessions remain after IE11 opens and closes. Deleting files in Edge do not effect the files left in IE11 caches.

daleranspach, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Phone Man Win User

Microsoft Edge Cache Database - please make it stop!

If you tell it Yes it should clean that cache and unless you use Edge it should not show again. Also on the left just uncheck everything under Edge.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    Have you tried clicking the "do not show this message again" link? And unchecking all the Edge checkboxes? If you don't use edge, you don't have to clean it.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Good suggestions, and thank you.

At first, it appeared that Edge still cached files in the cache database, even when not used. I tried using IE11 (not Edge) and it still appeared that Edge would have cached some files.

Now, trying your suggestion, I do not see where Edge has cached anything. I'm going to keep watching and try a few more times to see if it pops up again.

Thanks!

7. So, the two attachments show what happened just now.

Didn't use, open, or even think of Edge. I did, however, use IE11. Yet, CCleaner (Capture2) says its cache database is up and running and must be closed. So, I let CCleaner close it and ran the cleaner. As you can see in Capture3, there weren't any Edge files cleaned.

Mystery.

8. Microsoft Edge Cache Database - please make it stop!

My Edge started loading and navigating really slow today. CCleaner says that the Edge cache is a whopping 1.3 Billion bytes and over 6,000 cookies are being stored. Since Edge's brain isn't using common sense, is there a way to reduce the size of Edge Temp Files, like we can do with I.E. and every other browser?

AllenChicago, Sep 21, 2015
  9. Finally I was able to somehow get CCleaner to clean the Edge cache/cookies. It's now screaming fast again at loading all webpages. But I sure would like to know how to make Edge act more like IE by dumping older cache items as new ones arrive, once the cache size limit is reached. Right now, it just eventually clogs up like a freeway as rush-hour approaches.

Edit to add: After using CCleaner to clear the Edge cache, I turned off the "Enable Page Prediction" feature of Edge. It seems that this was the culprit behind filling up Edge's cache so quickly. Also, it looks like Page Prediction tries to load all pages that are linked-to on the navigated-to webpage, at the same time Edge is trying to block pop-ups while fully loading this page into the browser.

IMO, you don't need page prediction-preload turned on in this high-speed connection era. In fact, do you even need to have a persistent/permanent Internet Cache at all, if you have a fast connection?

ac

AllenChicago, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Edge Cache Database - please make it stop!

1. Microsoft Edge Cache Database - please make it stop! - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge Cache

2. edge caches

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    edge caches: Edge tracks my browsing even though I use only Firefox. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-caches/4160f1ed-d54b-4fa3-980d-0b326d335c39
  3. Please make Cortana stop!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please make Cortana stop!: Hi everyone, I have tried, Spydish, Debotnet, O&O Shutup10 and a random Uninstall Cortana.cmd. to stop/delete Cortana. I also disable it in Task Manager. Each time I reboot, the bloody thing is back using 21% of my CPU. I have the latest 10 update as of 21.07.2020 Is there a...
  4. Please make Cortana stop!

in Windows 10 Support
    Please make Cortana stop!: Hi everyone, I have tried, Spydish, Debotnet, O&O Shutup10 and a random Uninstall Cortana.cmd. to stop/delete Cortana. I also disable it in Task Manager. Each time I reboot, the bloody thing is back using 21% of my CPU. I have the latest 10 update as of 21.07.2020 Is there a...
  5. KB4484238 causing problems with Microsoft Access Database engine 2010 and making database...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4484238 causing problems with Microsoft Access Database engine 2010 and making database...: Ever since I installed KB4484238, my Microsoft Access database has begun to bloat. The filesize gets excessively large and all my program is doing is polling the database every five seconds for data. I use a stored procedure to do this. Before KB4484238 was installed, there...
  6. "Edge" Cache files

in Browsers and Email
    "Edge" Cache files: Hello,Although I have disabled "Edge" (I do not use it), by adding at the end of the folder in "System Apps" this "(old)". When I open "CCleaner" to clean cache files (and cookies) - there are lot of cache files from "Edge" - I recognize them by their icon.I am the only user...
  7. "Edge" Cache files

in Windows 10 Support
    "Edge" Cache files: Hello,Although I have disabled "Edge" (I do not use it), by adding at the end of the folder in "System Apps" this "(old)". When I open "CCleaner" to clean cache files (and cookies) - there are lot of cache files from "Edge" - I recognize them by their icon.I am the only user...
  8. Please stop deleting people's thumbnail cache already

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Please stop deleting people's thumbnail cache already: I'm writing about an ongoing thumbnail cache problem that keeps clearing itself every some period of time. This problem has been going on for years since Windows 8, and there is no permanent solution at all. I know how Microsoft recommends deleting thumbnail cache to help...
  9. ssl cache clear in microsoft edge

in Browsers and Email
    ssl cache clear in microsoft edge: hi, I really want to know if somebody here know, if it possible to clean the ssl cache on edge, like the content tab on ie, or not, and if not, are if I clean it on the tab in ie, are it works also on edge? thank you very much. 49578
  10. Microsoft please stop making things difficult in Edge!

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft please stop making things difficult in Edge!: 1) When I open a new tab (in Edge) theres a very good chance I know what website I want to go to so why don't you make the url box viewable by default when you open a new tab? Why do I need to click the empty space to make the url box open? Whats the advantage of doing this?...