Windows 10: Microsoft Edge crashing on startup since most recent windows update

Discus and support Microsoft Edge crashing on startup since most recent windows update in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hoping you all can help me with a sticky issue here, as my google-fu is failing me. The issue: Since installing the most recent windows updates... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by disposablintern, May 18, 2017.

1. Microsoft Edge crashing on startup since most recent windows update

Hoping you all can help me with a sticky issue here, as my google-fu is failing me.

The issue:
    Since installing the most recent windows updates (May 2017) Certain users at my organization are reporting that Edge is crashing almost immediately after opening. No error messages, the program just disappears. I've replicated the issue (so far) on four separate systems with very different hardware configurations.

I've tried the usual recommended steps to solve the problem with no success. So far I've tried:
    On command line -
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    sfc /scannow

I've also tried:
    - Deleting the Microsoft Edge folder in %localappdata% and reinstalling edge through powershell
    - Deleting the registry entries under "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local ---Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wek yb3d8bbwe\Children" (obviously after backing up the registry)
    - Creating a new user profile on the affected machine(s)

So far, none of these solutions have helped. I'm stumped and my desk is going to have a permanent imprint of my face soon if I don't stop beating my head against it. Any suggestions?

:)

disposablintern, May 18, 2017
  2. JayBurch Win User

Lumia 640 Sites Automatically Restarting

Hi,

I have a Lumia 640 with Microsoft Edge, and ever since the most recent Windows Mobile update, Edge starts to restart sites on its own. What can I do to solve this problem?

burchland2

JayBurch, May 18, 2017
  3. Microsoft edge

Since installing the most recent critical download from Microsoft July 12th 2017, Microsoft edge continually crashes upon opening a web page. My anti-virus programme has also blocked content from dangerous sites ie. 190.34.95.250 & 194.87.95.60. No information
    is registered re these sites but gives locations as Panama & Moscow. The most recent Microsoft download changed my BIOS. Furthermore, the critical download appears to have consumed roughly 4.5 - 5 GB from my hard drive and accessing a page seems to be taking
    much longer before it crashes.

I completed this exercise on my wife's computer and all appears to be in order and works as expected.

What has gone wrong with my critical update download?

ballpointdry, May 18, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

Microsoft Edge crashing on startup since most recent windows update

Firstly, I've no quick fix or answer but I think you need to be asking questions...

Four different PC's, all with the same issue which apparently followed the latest cumulative update. That's odd for sure. Is the original W10 installation standard, or was it from some custom company tweaked deployment image ? Does Edge crash if you take the PC off line ?

Perhaps just things to explore, as I say, I've no real answer other than eliminating things and proving things by trial and error. There has to be a common link somewhere between the four setups and how they are deployed.

Mooly, May 18, 2017
  5. This is a bone standard windows 10 install. We're a small shop, so there's no deployment images. They either shipped with windows 10 preinstalled from Dell, or were upgraded from Windows 7 (which was also preinstalled by Dell)
    There doesn't seem to be any common thread between these four machines that would cause the problem. I'll try taking a machine offline and see if edge still crashes like you suggested, though.

disposablintern, May 18, 2017
  6. This may be completely unrelated to your issue but I had a very similar problem after installing and using the Intel Driver Update Utility a day after I loaded the 16199 insider update. I did a Restore back to pre Intel download and all was good after that.

Fisher Mann, May 19, 2017
  7. Interesting. I'll check to see if any of the affected machines are using that utility.

disposablintern, May 21, 2017
  8. Microsoft Edge crashing on startup since most recent windows update

Hello all. Checking back in to see if anyone else has any ideas. I can confirm that the affected machines are not using the Intel Driver Update Utility and that disconnecting the machine from the network does not prevent the issue from occurring.

Following advice from a thread on another web site, I opened the "Problem Reports" app and found several related to edge. The fault module is ntdll.dll. I also noticed during my testing that the address bar in edge "flashes"; it intermittently stops accepting input. The app crashes after a short amount of time whether I attempt to open a web site or not, it crashed while I was clicking through the settings menu looking for anything I might have missed.

disposablintern, May 31, 2017
  9. Mooly Win User
    Very very odd. If you are not connected to a network and Edge still crashes on all four machines then the only thing I can think of is that the update was in some way corrupted. W10 has the ability to obtain updates from other PC's on a network (if you have that setting enabled).

Four different PC's all with the same issue... have you tried uninstalling the update ?

(this is where system image backups come into there own, if you have one then you can recover back prior to this and try the update afresh)

Mooly, Jun 1, 2017
  10. We have not tried uninstalling the update, but might be worth a shot. I'm pretty sure we have the "Updates from more than one place" setting disabled company wide (it is on my machine, at least.) but I'd have to check to be sure. Another disadvantage of not using system images, unfortunately. I'll convince my boss to use them at some point!

disposablintern, Jun 1, 2017
  11. Update : Rolling back the update appears to have worked for one machine, at least. I'm re-applying the update to see if the issue occurs again. My boss is adamant that we have this update because it's supposed to protect against the recent WannaCry attack.
    *edit* Did not work on the other machine I've tested so far, though. Back to the drawing board...

12. Mooly Win User
    Hmmm... very strange (as I keep saying). You will have to have words with your boss *Smile

Mooly, Jun 1, 2017
  13. Microsoft Edge crashing on startup since most recent windows update

Yup. Can also confirm that the problem re-occurs as soon as the 1703 update is applied, so rolling back won't be an option for us.
    I think for now we're going to have to encourage our users to use other browsers. Thanks for your help.

14. Mooly Win User
    Its just a pity we couldn't come up with a solution. It would be interesting to try the problem PC's deployed a normal home network (to update them as well) and see if the problem persists.

Mooly, Jun 1, 2017
  15. Yes, it would. Unfortunately, because most of the affected machines are off site, I don't have physical access to them.

Thema:

Microsoft Edge crashing on startup since most recent windows update

1. Microsoft Edge crashing on startup since most recent windows update - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge crashing

2. Most recent update crashing my games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Most recent update crashing my games: Everything was working fine yesterday, Updated my computer and now one of my games is unplayable.SourceSniper Ghost Warrior 3SummaryStopped workingDate‎16/‎04/‎2023 1:53 AMStatusReport sentDescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\Program Files...
  3. Most recent update crashing my games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Most recent update crashing my games: Everything was working fine yesterday, Updated my computer and now one of my games is unplayable.SourceSniper Ghost Warrior 3SummaryStopped workingDate‎16/‎04/‎2023 1:53 AMStatusReport sentDescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\Program Files...
  4. Most recent update crashing my games

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. None of the Microsoft apps AND store I use are working since the most recent update

None of the Microsoft apps AND store I use are working since the most recent update: Before I downloaded and installed the newest update, the store, the photos app, everything was working. Ever since downloading and installing the newest update, nothing works. I can't open anything. The Microsoft store blinks my screen white but never opens. I tried going to...
  6. Mouse micro-stutters and frequent game crashes since most recent update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse micro-stutters and frequent game crashes since most recent update.: Since the most windows update my pc has been feeling really laggy. What I've noticed the most is what I mentioned in the title, so that my mouse cursor "stutters" as if the reception was bad (it's wireless), but I know it isn't. It has also happened to me a bunch of time that...
  7. Most recent updates

Most recent updates: How do I know I'm operating on updated version of Microsoft windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/most-recent-updates/88d75eee-19a0-4633-962f-17af33c3dab4
  8. Updated to the most recent windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updated to the most recent windows update: I updated to the most recent windows update and I keep on getting the bsod for random reasons each time. I've ran the scannow and verify to make sure there are no bad drivers. I've reinstalled my amd drivers. Nothing is overclocked either. It's exactly the same way it was...
  9. All 3 of our laptops are slow since the most recent update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All 3 of our laptops are slow since the most recent update: Last week all of our our laptops got the mandatory Windows 10 updates. Since then all 3 of our laptops have been running EXTREMELY slowly. Any notion what's causing it and how to fix? Thanks! Maryanna...
  10. Most recent update

Most recent update: I am an "Insider" and have installed the latest update. All sorts of strange things have started to happen. Examples: 1. The audio out on my camera no longer works for conversations on Skype. 2, The voice recorder no longer works. 3, When I try to open Edge I receive the...