Windows 10: Microsoft Edge: How to disable annoying Nag Screen?

Discus and support Microsoft Edge: How to disable annoying Nag Screen? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have updated to Windows 10. I didn't like Microsoft Edge (I use the favourites bar a lot for basic navigation, and it doesn't work very well in Edge... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Trumplert, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Trumplert Win User

Microsoft Edge: How to disable annoying Nag Screen?

I have updated to Windows 10.
    I didn't like Microsoft Edge (I use the favourites bar a lot for basic navigation, and it doesn't work very well in Edge - Folders cannot be added, titles cannot be edited etc...), so I reverted back to IE11, and made this my default.
    Now every time I click on a hyperlink in an email I get a nag screen asking me if I want to switch to Microsoft Edge. Any way I can disable this?

Microsoft Edge: How to disable annoying Nag Screen? [​IMG]

:)

Trumplert, Jul 30, 2015

2. how to disable microsoft edge nagging banner

how to disable microsoft edge nagging banner

* Moved from Internet Explorer 10

JosieHarmon, Jul 30, 2015
  3. how to disable microsoft edge nagging banner

Are you seeing this when viewing Microsoft webpages or when using IE or another browser on non-Microsoft pages?

Or when you open a PDF file or perform some other non-browsing operation?

Don

Don Varnau, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Trumplert Win User

Many thanks to whomever moved this to the correct forum for me, and apologies for having posted incorrectly.

Trumplert, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Mine doesn't nag when I set mine as default under the new control panel (Don't use the classic control panel)

theveterans, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Trumplert Win User
    Great - there's hope *Smile

I just tried that - I went to the "new control panel" (Settings) / System / Default App and my Web Browser was already set to Internet Explorer. I reselected it, made no difference.

I changed it back to Edge, Opened Edge, then changed it back to IE, and still got the nag screen *Sad

When I check the "Choose Default Applications by Protocol" - some are ok with IE, but some are still Edge - they don't give me the option to select IE.

Trumplert, Jul 31, 2015
  7. No idea now since mine just works fine. Clicking Mail app hyperlinks goes to IE 11. Maybe a Cortana issue since mine is disabled.

theveterans, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Trumplert Win User

Ok - thanks for trying.

I don't think its Cortana, because I have it disabled as well.

One thing I didn't say, which I now imagine is very significant - I'm using Outlook 2010!

Trumplert, Jul 31, 2015
  9. kenatug Win User
    I'm having the same problem. It doesn't matter which browser I try to make the default, it still continues to ask me which browser to use. I'm hoping that Microsoft will post a solution to this. We can't be the only ones having this problem. The strange thing is that I first noticed this with links from Outlook 2013. When I tried the same link opening the file from Thunderbird, the default browser did come up. So I thought it might be an Outlook problem. But then I opened an unrelated program and clicked on a link to their web site and the nag screen came up again. I hope somebody can come up with a solution to this. It really is very annoying.

kenatug, Aug 4, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    FYI, you can rename your favorites, and create folders all you want.

Click the Hub icon (4th icon from the right, looks like three horizontal lines of different length), then click on the Star for favorites.

In the hub, you can right click on an entry and choose "Rename". You can also create new folders by typing CTRL-D, then choosing the folder you want to create the new folder in, and click the Create New Folder link.

Mystere, Aug 5, 2015
  11. Trumplert Win User
    Wow - can't believe I couldn't work that out .... thanks - looks great (and simple) .... now I have a decision on whether to go back to Edge or not - only reason I currently have for not going back is pigheaded stubbornness because of frustration at the nag screen....I feel like I must resist and cannot give in to it......... (I'll probably capitulate and return to edge again today.....)

Trumplert, Aug 5, 2015
  12. neomatter Win User
    Go into Settings>System>Default Apps

Under Email: Select the Browser you want to open by default. This should remove the nag screen you see. Apparently this setting is tied to the URL:mailto protocol (not the actual email app). I only noticed this when I went in to change the default app by protocol as well as set defaults by app. I noticed by changing the URL:mailto setting to a browser, it changed the default email app to the browser I selected.

neomatter, Aug 5, 2015
  13. Trumplert Win User

Sorry, that's not working for me.

My URL:mailto protocol was previously set to Outlook. I could only change it to Outlook, Mail or Chrome. I tried Chrome, but this made no difference.

Trumplert, Aug 6, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    Uhh.. Edge is not an email program.

Mystere, Aug 6, 2015
  15. Trumplert Win User
    I appreciate that *Smile

I was just trying to follow the suggestion given to me by the previous poster

Trumplert, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft Edge: How to disable annoying Nag Screen? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge disable

2. Disable Windows Hello nag screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Disable Windows Hello nag screen: How do I stop this on my desktop, which has no biometric capability. I unchecked this, but it has no effect 183749
  3. Windows 10 is now nagging users with full screen Microsoft Edge ads

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 is now nagging users with full screen Microsoft Edge ads: In production builds, Microsoft is A/B testing a new ‘feature’ that is designed to nag users with fullscreen window-less Microsoft Edge recommendations in the OOBE screen. The nag will appear when users set up their PC, sign in to their system after applying updates, or when...
  4. How do I disable the screen that nags me to use a Microsoft account on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I disable the screen that nags me to use a Microsoft account on Windows 10?: It's this terrible screen. I don't want to sign in with a Microsoft account, and I don't want to see it again with "Skip for now." [ATTACH]...
  5. How To Disable "Get More Out Of Windows" Annoying Nag Screen?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How To Disable "Get More Out Of Windows" Annoying Nag Screen?: Greetings All, After just about every update to Windows 10 Monthly I see a nag screen on all of my Windows 10 devices asking me to "Get more out of Windows" or "Finish Setting Up Windows" or something similar. This "nag screen" takes up the entire display and prevents me...
  6. 'Try Microsoft Edge' nag when logging in

in Windows 10 Support
    'Try Microsoft Edge' nag when logging in: Hi, I've just recently upgraded my PC to Windows 10 from Win7 after months of putting it off. Surprisingly it all went smoothly. I even found I was already activated and was not expecting that. However there is 1 niggle. I use Firefox as my default browser which continues...
  7. get rid of windows edge nag screen at startup?

in Browsers and Email
    get rid of windows edge nag screen at startup?: hello all. when I boot to windows 10 I get a nag screen trying to get me to use edge. its a waste of time. how can I get rid of this screen and go straight to the login/password screen? fyi I have two log ins, one personal and one microsoft account we were forced to create...
  8. Google "Nag" on Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Google "Nag" on Edge: Anyone know how to eliminate the Google "nag" on Edge ? Pops up very, very frequently in the upper right corner of the page. MB adwcleaner is negative. [img] 91452
  9. Microsoft Edge annoyance ...

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge annoyance ...: I'd like to switch over to Microsoft Edge, but one simple problem prevents me from doing so. And that problem is how Microsoft Edge keeps opening up in different window positions onscreen every time I open it. Very, very, very annoying. I know Windows Explorer had this...
  10. How to stop Microsoft nagging

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop Microsoft nagging: Hello, As you already know from my previous posts about problems upgrading my windows 10 system, until I get it fixed, each time I turn on my pc, I notice lot of net traffic (something is downloading), I pull the line plug out, chk on C: and find brand new folder...