Windows 10: Microsoft Edge on or off?

Discus and support Microsoft Edge on or off? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I just installed latest version of CCleaner. When I run it asks to turn off MS Edge! Edge was not running to my knowledge. Does it run in background? I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by lvr181, Jan 29, 2016.

1. lvr181 Win User

Microsoft Edge on or off?

I just installed latest version of CCleaner. When I run it asks to turn off MS Edge! Edge was not running to my knowledge. Does it run in background? I did a start up of computer (after shutting down) and then copied CCleaner from USB stick to desktop and installed. No other programs were opened.

Anyone know what is happening?

:)

lvr181, Jan 29, 2016
  2. BrendaNHa Win User

Microsoft Edge does not appear on Start Menu or on the Task Bar after anniversary update

I also had this issue of Microsoft Edge disappearing from the task bar & even trying to create a new desktop icon from the exe file failed. This fix did indeed work however, in my case I had to go into the corrupt edge folder Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    and manually delete all of the subfolders & in some cases I had to go in to the folders themselves and delete the files within with administration privileges. Simply deleting the main folder with admin privileges did not successfully remove the files. Once
    I had all the underlying files and folders deleted I was able to remove this main folder and upon reboot I entered the Powershell command, rebooted again and HOORAY Edge was back.

Thank you for publishing this fix!

BrendaNHa, Jan 29, 2016
  3. Sharky18 Win User
    Microsoft Edge does not appear on Start Menu or on the Task Bar after anniversary update

I found this fix in a different thread and it worked:

GE
    GertHuisken replied on

I had faced similar issues with the edge browser. It disappeared one day. There was no way to manually launch the edge browser. I was finally able to fix it by following the below steps

First we need to delete the corrupt edge folder. The path => C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Delete the "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe" Folder

You may not able to delete the folder itself and 2 or 3 files. but it does'nt matter. Select the folder, Hit Delete, Then if it asks for admin privileges, Just hit skip and then ok . Restart the computer.

Then Launch Powershell as administrator and run the following command.
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

Hit enter and once the command is executed, Quit powershell and restart the computer to complete the process.

The edge browser will be back and running in all its glory.

Sharky18, Jan 29, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Weird.
    I would like to know what causes that too.
    I have Ccleaner and I also do not use Edge, and I don't have Ccleaner asking me to turn off Edge.

davidhk, Jan 29, 2016
  5. DerDonc Win User
    I'm using CCleaner too and I recognized the same thing. I don´t use Edge at all btw.

DerDonc, Jan 29, 2016
  6. Have you tried blocking it from running in the background and then tried

Settings, Privacy, Background Apps - Turn off Microsoft Edge

paulsalter, Jan 29, 2016
  7. Clint Win User
    I have the same thing.

Clint, Jan 29, 2016
  8. luarpc Win User

Hi paulsalter,

Yes, Edge was running in background, as some of other applications that i don´t use. I had disabled some of them, but when i updated W10 to another build, automatically the O.S just enabled the apps again.
    Thanks. I just did that and it worked.

Thanks again!

luarpc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft Edge on or off? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge off

2. Turning off Administrator mode from Microsoft Edge

in Cortana
    Turning off Administrator mode from Microsoft Edge: So I got a problem where I did troubleshooting As my Microsoft edge was working so slow so it turned into administrator mode . now I need to turn off the administrator mode if there is anyway possible kindly reply . Thanks...
  3. How to turn off "Help" on microsoft edge?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to turn off "Help" on microsoft edge?: I'm playing a game and the f1 button closes a window that opens up when I want help on MY GAME. But when I push f1 it pulls down my game and brings up Microsoft edge help. This is REALLY irritating me. I want tao turn off F1 FOR HELP!!!!!...
  4. display edges off.

in Windows 10 Customization
    display edges off.: display edges falling off screen after update. I have no graphic card, only using the one on board. also using a normal monitor. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/display-edges-off/c4927fe7-d947-41ad-b5a7-d67b4f65ac8e
  5. Turn On or Off Printing in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Printing in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Printing in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Printing in Application Guard for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for...
  6. “Turn Off the Lights” Extension for Microsoft Edge Released

in Windows 10 News
    “Turn Off the Lights” Extension for Microsoft Edge Released: “Turn Off the Lights” Extension for Microsoft Edge Released Another extension now available for the Windows 10 browser [img] Microsoft finally released extension support for Edge browser earlier this week as part of an insider preview build and developers have...
  7. Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Extensions in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible...
  8. Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be...
  9. Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows...
  10. Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Open Sites in Apps for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...