Windows 10: Microsoft Edge opening window position

Discus and support Microsoft Edge opening window position in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I know that this has been asked before, but I've not been able to find any resolution. My screen is of the 'wide' variety. When I open Edge, it... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Irene, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Irene Win User

Microsoft Edge opening window position

I know that this has been asked before, but I've not been able to find any resolution.

My screen is of the 'wide' variety. When I open Edge, it insists on opening on the left. Has anyone found a way to persuade it to remember to open centre screen?

I know it doesn't affect the actual operation, but it is irritating and it puts me off making Edge my default browser.

:)

Irene, Sep 9, 2016

2. Default Position of The Microsoft Edge Window

On the right click Edge and starting a new window. I wouldn't say that every other application in existence allows this. There are some like Quicken that would mess up if more than one copy was running at the same time trying to get at its database.
    So there are some that prevent it. But clearly a web browser should allow it. And in fact even though starting from the shortcuts don't allow it, you can create a new tab and drag it outside of the window and it will open another window. So it should in
    fact be trivial to code.

A_User_Here, Sep 9, 2016
  3. Default Position of The Microsoft Edge Window

Yeah totally agree. You know something that I really miss from Unix was that ability to give the location and size on the command line. As a default, remembering where you closed is OK, but there are just times where you want to have programs come up exactly
    where you want them. I really used that a lot for like when I wanted to have 4 source code editor windows up at the same time (non overlapping).

And on the subject of "amateurish" feeling, the "universal" applications sometimes feels that way to me when they keep crashing. It reminds me of Windows 3.1. And the whole packing of these seems not to well thought out.

A_User_Here, Sep 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, normal Windows operation is that a particular program will open its window in the same position when it was last closed. Certainly Edge behaves like that for me (although I don't use it routinely so have configured nothing in it).

However....

Some people do experience specific problems with this. I'm afraid all I can do is direct you to a couple of extensive threads on this sort of issue (not necessarily Edge in particular). Questions like this have been asked since at least Win 7.

Various addiitonal programs are mentioned from time to time- really that should not be so.
    Remember window position? - Windows 10 Forums
    Changing the default position of opening a program - Windows 7 Help Forums
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/general-computer-support/11293-windows-7-how-to-set-folders-window-position.html

More if you search for
    windows opening position

dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    I have the same experience when I open up FireFox. It is a bit annoying but it's not that much of an issue for me to want to do anything about it.. yet.

BunnyJ, Sep 9, 2016
  6. Irene Win User
    Irene, Sep 9, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Glad that worked out for you... thing is, it shouldn't be necessary. But hey, life's too short..

dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Great and thanks for sharing your fix.
    That might just help me out as well.

Jeff *Smile

BunnyJ, Sep 9, 2016
  9. Irene Win User
    I hope so, Jeff. *Wink

Irene, Sep 9, 2016
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Just remember:

That's from the Major Geeks download page. You can also use Task Manager to disable it, and kill the process, if need be.

Cliff S, Sep 9, 2016
  11. Irene Win User
    Excellent additional information Cliff. Thank you.

Irene, Sep 9, 2016
  12. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome*Smile

Cliff S, Sep 9, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi Cliff S, This is now packaged with a setup.exe

Microsoft Edge opening window position [​IMG]

- which creates a start menu entry, but by default, no Start-up shortcut.
    The default is not to start automatically:

Microsoft Edge opening window position [​IMG]

dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  14. Cliff S New Member
    Good to know dalchina*Smile
    I never used it myself(have never needed it)
    I just found it interesting that clicking the developers link, brought one to Seven Forums*Biggrin
    That it has a setup.exe, does it also show up in Programs & Features? Meaning is there an uninstaller included.

Cliff S, Sep 9, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Yep, surely is. Like you I'd never used it, just thought I'd take a look.

For interest, you may already know of Nir Sofer's Zipinstaller for programs without an installer downloaded as a zip file- and applicable too to portable exe's if you zip the exe-

Zipinstaller opens the zip file, creates uninstall and start menu entries, and lets you specify the install path.

I thought from the MajorGeeks para you posted that was going to be needed.

dalchina, Sep 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Microsoft Edge opening window position - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge opening

2. Opening up Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening up Microsoft Edge: I changed information on my Microsoft profile and now Microsoft edge will not open on my desktop. I tried restarting. I looked for updates. I need help. It is pinned on my bar, when I click it, nothing pops up on my on my screen. I can see the front page if I scroll over the...
  3. Microsoft Edge browser is not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge browser is not opening: I can't seem to open the Microsoft edge browser, it works welll with Chrome and Firefox browser, the Edge runs in the background but it wont display. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-browser-is-not-opening/5f4f6d33-2a2a-49c6-911d-eab74da57e74
  4. Microsoft Edge browser is not opening

Microsoft Edge browser is not opening: I can't seem to open the Microsoft edge browser, it works welll with Chrome and Firefox browser, the Edge runs in the background but it wont display. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-browser-is-not-opening/5f4f6d33-2a2a-49c6-911d-eab74da57e74
  5. Microsoft Edge browser is not opening

in Cortana
  6. Microsoft Edge is not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Edge is not opening: HiI am having problem to open Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 Version 20H1 OS Build: 19043, 1110.I have tried clean reboot, restarted my laptop, repaired/modified the browser and still no success in getting it to open. I don't know what to do next. Any helps? ThxAlain**...
  7. Microsoft Edge not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Edge not opening: Hi I am having problem to open Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 Version 20H1 OS Build: 19043, 1110.I have tried clean reboot, restarted my laptop, repaired/modified the browser and still no success in getting it to open. I don't know what to do next. Any helps? Thx Alain**...
  8. Microsoft Edge Not Opening Maximised

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge Not Opening Maximised: I am slowly using microsoft edge more with Windows 10. Today i altered the default search engine from Bing to Duck Duck Go and closed the browser. On reopening the browser I couldn't get Edge to open in a maximised state unless I clicked the option in top right corner. I...
  9. microsoft edge will not open

microsoft edge will not open: Microsoft edge will not open up How can I fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/microsoft-edge-will-not-open/36619b6f-011e-4bd7-ac98-29dd41a4377e
  10. Microsoft Edge open and close

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge open and close: After recent update MicrosoftEdge open and close immediately. No warning after it. *Mad 55881