Windows 10: Microsoft Edge: Possible to move browsing cache to secondary drive?

Discus and support Microsoft Edge: Possible to move browsing cache to secondary drive? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Title pretty much sums it up, is there a way to move the browsing cache from Microsoft Edge to a secondary drive? Thanks! 7287 Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by SlackerITGuy, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Microsoft Edge: Possible to move browsing cache to secondary drive?

Title pretty much sums it up, is there a way to move the browsing cache from Microsoft Edge to a secondary drive?

Thanks!

:)

SlackerITGuy, Jun 21, 2015

2. How to clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge?

Hello

CCLeaner cannot yet clean the cache of Microsoft Edge. You can clean your browsing data by following these steps.

• Open Microsoft Edge
    • Click on the three little dots on the top right corner
    • Under Clear Browsing Data click on Choose what to clear
    • Then make sure Cache is checked
    • Click on Clear
    If you don;'t understand exactly what I mean
    then see this post
    for a detailed step by step instruction with images.

Hope it helps you!

Yuri

Yuri Pustjens, Jun 21, 2015
  3. Microsoft edge Reset Itself to Default Settings, also Class not registered errors

clearing browsing history, cache etc does work. I'm still getting edge resetting itself randomly. if it happens one more time I'm moving over to firefox.

JackBauer83, Jun 21, 2015
  4. Microsoft Edge: Possible to move browsing cache to secondary drive?

Yes! It can be done pretty much as it was in Windows 7/8
    Just click start and select Settings.
    In Settings type cache into the search box
    select the first item 'Change temporary internet file settings'.
    Now you are on familiar ground, so just continue...

NigelBoreham, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Qwinn Win User
    I know this is an old thread, but it's one of the first to come up in a search on this topic. The proposed solution above is not correct. That changes the Internet Explorer cache, not the Edge cache. As far as I know, Edge offers no way to move the cache location through the app itself, which is the primary reason I'm still using IE. I'm currently contemplating using mklink to redirect the folder to a Ramdisk.

For anyone who's interested in trying that approach, the directory where Edge stores its cache files is:

C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\Cache

To execute the mklink command, you'd issue something like this at a command prompt run as administrator, obviously editing for your username and for your desired destination - my example is to a directory named EdgeCache on a volatile Ramdisk with driver letter R.

mklink /J "C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\Cac he" "R:\EdgeCache"

(EDIT: Not sure why the post is inserting a space in the word "cache" in that example, it's not there in edit mode. Be sure to remove it if you're doing a cut and paste.)

Full disclosure: I haven't tried this myself yet, but it should work. I'm just holding off trying to think of any way this could cause an issue. I presume mklink is still operative in safe mode, for example, but I am not 100% certain.

Qwinn, Dec 8, 2015
  6. larry609 Win User
    You had the link and target reversed - but, when fixed, it works as advertised. I set up a RAM disk and now it write to ram instead of my twin 750Gb Samsun 850 EVO's that are my primary drive. *Wink

larry609, Jan 7, 2016
  7. EliteData Win User
    i did this and i have a different result.
    why it successfully made a junction, the cache contents are now being written and read from both locations simultaneously.
    i did locate some registry keys for the cache folders and added additional string keys named "CachePath" but these did not work as well.
    my only real need to use "Edge" is to obtain 2K & 4K video from Netflix so i dont think a cache folder is that important in my case since my primary browsers all have their caches located to a secondary location.

EliteData, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Edge: Possible to move browsing cache to secondary drive?

1. Microsoft Edge: Possible to move browsing cache to secondary drive? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge Possible

2. Move windows to Secondary drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Move windows to Secondary drive: Hi All,I have a custom-built gaming PC. Originally, I had installed a SATA SSD, which was good. However, I was running low on storage. So I bought a new NVME M.2 SSD and added it to my build. I have heard that it's better to have windows in M.2 rather than SATA since M.2 is...
  3. Move windows to Secondary drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move windows to Secondary drive: Hi All,I have a custom-built gaming PC. Originally, I had installed a SATA SSD, which was good. However, I was running low on storage. So I bought a new NVME M.2 SSD and added it to my build. I have heard that it's better to have windows in M.2 rather than SATA since M.2 is...
  4. Move windows to Secondary drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Possible to move primary hard drive to new computer as secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Possible to move primary hard drive to new computer as secondary drive?: I have a laptop which won't boot due to a 'bad system config info' error.I also have a new desktop I'm building with a new SSD which I'll use as the primary drive. If I take out the primary SSD from my old laptop, and put it into my new desktop computer as a secondary drive...
  6. Move Edge cache files to a ramdrive?

Move Edge cache files to a ramdrive?: How can I move edges cache to a ram drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-edge-cache-files-to-a-ramdrive/56ebe5db-4334-40a7-9977-df0f218cca62
  7. edge caches

edge caches: Edge tracks my browsing even though I use only Firefox. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-caches/4160f1ed-d54b-4fa3-980d-0b326d335c39
  8. Moving Outlook Data Files to Secondary Drive

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Moving Outlook Data Files to Secondary Drive: Hello All Trying to setup Laptop finally with MS outlook, and wanted to move the Outlook data files to my secondary storage drive, to limit writes on SSD drive (128gb m.2 ssd in laptop) Is it worth the hassle of trying to get it setup properly? did same thing months back...
  9. Mklink created to move Edge cache but cache not in target location?

in Windows 10 Support
    Mklink created to move Edge cache but cache not in target location?: I have a curious MKLINK issue with Win 10 Pro. I wonder if someone could clarify for me. Latest updates as of 23/4/19. Desktop Intel i7. 16 Gig RAM. First, I have a folder on J:\XMKLINK TEST. I created mklink /D "L:\XMLINK TEST" "J:\XMLINK TEST" Explorer shows the orig folder...
  10. ssl cache clear in microsoft edge

in Browsers and Email
    ssl cache clear in microsoft edge: hi, I really want to know if somebody here know, if it possible to clean the ssl cache on edge, like the content tab on ie, or not, and if not, are if I clean it on the tab in ie, are it works also on edge? thank you very much. 49578