Windows 10: Microsoft Email - Access to Account from China

Discus and support Microsoft Email - Access to Account from China in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I got an email from Microsoft this morning for unusual activity -- basically someone accessed my account from China. I logged into live.com (directly)... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ericnixmd, Aug 16, 2017.

1. ericnixmd Win User

Microsoft Email - Access to Account from China

I got an email from Microsoft this morning for unusual activity -- basically someone accessed my account from China. I logged into live.com (directly) and noticed the activity in my log. So the email was legit. I changed my password.

Is there anything else that I should do to insure nobody has access to anything? I have OneDrive set up, but have never used it. Some of my OneNotes are online, but they aren't security sensitive. I mainly have the account for my Office 365 subscription.

They didn't add any info to security contacts (email/telephone) to authorize changing passwords, and my password wasn't changed. My credit card info is stored, but only the last 4 digits are visible. My address is online. The email I use (iCloud) uses a different password with two-factor authentication enabled.

:)

ericnixmd, Aug 16, 2017
  2. Deanll Win User

Definition of "Unusual Activity Detected"

To start off, this isn't about a phishing scam

Within my actual Microsoft Account page under Recent Activity, it states that yesterday there was "Unusual Activity Detected" from China...

Obviously I don't live in China so i've changed all my passwords as best as i can.

My question is, does this mean that they have accessed my account or does it mean they merely attempted and failed ?

Thank you very much Microsoft Email - Access to Account from China :)

Deanll, Aug 16, 2017
  3. Sheena M. Win User
    Why can't I access my microsoft account from my China Mobile in China?

Hi HamishNeale,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

Please read the following article for troubleshooting steps if you are not able to add your Microsoft Account to your phone:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2784236

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Sheena M., Aug 16, 2017
  4. Microsoft Email - Access to Account from China

Hi ericnixmd.

Last sentence hit it on the nail. Turn on Two factor in Outlook.com mail. It will not nag you on your daily drive computer.

If you are accessing email through an app on a phone you will need an app password, yes its long and painful, but entered once and done.

Once turned on, at least in Outlook, you can use text messages for codes or install Google Authenticator app on phone / tablet to get codes. Both have there place.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 17, 2017
Thema:

Microsoft Email - Access to Account from China

1. Microsoft Email - Access to Account from China - Similar Threads - Microsoft Email Access

2. Recover access to Microsoft Live account where there is no access to the associated email...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Recover access to Microsoft Live account where there is no access to the associated email...: Hi,My dad's PC is refusing to boot into Windows. I want to revert the OS to an earlier version however I need the bitlocker key to do that. Unfortunately my dad cannot recall the password for Microsoft Live to access the bitlocker key, and although I thought I had a note of...
  3. My Microsoft account is under attack from China.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microsoft account is under attack from China.: Someone has been trying to break into my Microsoft account for three weeks now. Can i do anything with it? How i can defend my account? Im from Czechia. Thanks...
  4. My Microsoft account is under attack from China.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Microsoft account is under attack from China.: Someone has been trying to break into my Microsoft account for three weeks now. Can i do anything with it? How i can defend my account? Im from Czechia. Thanks...
  5. Microsoft Unusual Account Activity for email accessed in Thunderbird.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Unusual Account Activity for email accessed in Thunderbird.: I'm running a MS account and accessing email using Thunderbird on W10. Everything up to date.Just recently when I open TBird to access the email I get a simultaneous email from the Microsoft account team saying they have detected unusual activity logging in from a different...
  6. Microsoft Unusual Account Activity for email accessed in Thunderbird.

Microsoft Unusual Account Activity for email accessed in Thunderbird.: I'm running a MS account and accessing email using Thunderbird on W10. Everything up to date.Just recently when I open TBird to access the email I get a simultaneous email from the Microsoft account team saying they have detected unusual activity logging in from a different...
  7. Microsoft Unusual Account Activity for email accessed in Thunderbird.

8. email removal from Microsoft Account

email removal from Microsoft Account: I am trying to remove an email account from my Microsoft account but with no success. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/email-removal-from-microsoft-account/661f5b24-72b2-43f8-908f-b0767d65e079
  9. Email from Microsoft account team

Email from Microsoft account team: Is this a legit email address.......Microsoft account team *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Email says to click on links in email to verify activity........
  10. Can't access email to old Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't access email to old Microsoft account: So I have an old microsoft account under an email that BT has long since deleted but the Microsoft account is the main one to my PC. I have a newer one I made to a new Email and I want to switch them over as the main administrator to my PC without losing my current setup and...