Windows 10: Microsoft Frontpage 2003

Discus and support Microsoft Frontpage 2003 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; An old program which Microsoft states has compatibility issues, but it does work except when inserting a url link by trying to open a folder to select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by WightWalker, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Microsoft Frontpage 2003

An old program which Microsoft states has compatibility issues, but it does work except when inserting a url link by trying to open a folder to select the destination.

Frontpage is fully functional on Windows 8.1; I can't see Windows 10 being so different to cause a problem, but obviously there's something different.

:)

WightWalker, Dec 9, 2014

2. Microsoft Frontpage 2003 problem

since I downloaded and installed windows 10 my cherished Microsoft FrontPage 2003 no longer opens for me to do my work on. what can i do to have my FrontPage back? Help please anyone.

EmekaOjukwu, Dec 9, 2014
  3. germck Win User
    Microsoft Frontpage 2003 problem

LinkThread regarding Frontpage 2003 and Windows 10 doesn't work ..I too would like to continue using Frontpage for my website,,..e

germck, Dec 9, 2014
  4. fireberd Win User

Microsoft Frontpage 2003

May have to install it in a compatibility mode to get full functionality? I have FP2003 (and Office 2003 Pro) but I'm not going to install it on Win 10.

fireberd, Dec 10, 2014
  5. davehc Win User
    Better. Grab a copy of Microsoft Expression. It is free for all and a lot up to date with modern procedure.

davehc, Dec 10, 2014
  6. Thanks for the info. Looks interesting; will give it a go.

Update: OK. Only just installed so I'm not too familiar with it but it's very similar to Frontpage 2003 but a tad awkward to use. My site uses a lot of images sequentially displayed. If I want to insert a new image I would simply highlight one, then copy & past, then overwrite the copied image with the one that I want. This also worked fine with Expression 4 for several copy/paste routines but then went a tad wrong, so I used undo BUT it didn't just delete the last step but went back several steps - haven't found a way to just undo the last step.

WightWalker, Dec 10, 2014
  7. davehc Win User
    It does need patience and working through the large number of customisation options. But stay with it - you'll like it.

davehc, Dec 10, 2014
  8. Microsoft Frontpage 2003

It takes quite a bit of effort to learn a new program like MS Expression especially when FrontPage 2003 still does everything I want. I installed it a long time ago, but I still have not used it. I also have to wonder how long will MS support Expression when it is free?

Ak

alkaufmann, Dec 11, 2014
  9. labeeman Win User
    It takes quite a bit of effort to learn a new program like MS Expression especially when FrontPage 2003 still does everything I want. I installed it a long time ago, but I still have not used it. I also have to wonder how long will MS support Expression when it is free?

Ak
    Expression Design 4 and Expression Web 4 are now available for download at no charge. Technical support will not be available for these free versions.

labeeman, Dec 11, 2014
  10. davehc Win User
    The Free edition has never been supported. I haven't use frontpage for a while, but I doubt if that is supported now? Other parts have branched off a little. You can read here:

Expression Home

But the program is strongly supported on third party sites. This one may guide you into a start:

Expression Web help

davehc, Dec 11, 2014
  11. It takes quite a bit of effort to learn a new program like MS Expression especially when FrontPage 2003 still does everything I want. I installed it a long time ago, but I still have not used it. I also have to wonder how long will MS support Expression when it is free?

Ak I'm with you there. In trying Expression4, I've encountered some problems:

1. When modifying existing test, Frontpage retains the format & text can be selected by clicking mouse at start, press Shift & select end of text.

Expression4 will highlight text by clicking mouse at beginning but format is lost so this has to done again.

I've tried following the Help file but haven't managed to make much sense of it.

2. In Frontpage you can undo the last action or more by pressing CTRL Z or the undo button but in Expression4 it seems to undo everything to the last saved position.

3. In Frontpage it's useful to select a position in the page with the mouse, then press Shift, scroll to the end position, click with the mouse & that complete area is then selected.

In Expression4 when you press the Shift key, you get a bold +. This prevents the above action & I've yet to find out what the bold + actually does.

4. Haven't found the option in Expression4 to be able to define top, sides & bottom cell properties; you only seem to be able to have a border or no border, not individual sides or top or bottom, or any combination.

WightWalker, Dec 11, 2014
  12. Berton Win User
    Two things I found about my FrontPage 2003, one is that it cannot be installed when Office 2010 64-bit is installed and the other is that my Domain Hosting service wanted me to change as they don't support FrontPage extensions. I went with Microsoft Expression Web 4.

Office 2010 is the first version to be available as either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Berton, Dec 12, 2014
  13. Microsoft Frontpage 2003

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit with media center and I do have FrontPage 2003 installed and it does what I want it to do. If I remember right when I installed it there was some complaint which I just ignored and it finished the install fine.

As for Expression Web I bought a big thick MS book and went through it and did all the tutorials, the problem is I don't use it often enough so every time I want to us it, it is like starting fresh. Maybe my short term memory is going :-( because I have no such problem using Frontpage.

alkaufmann, Dec 12, 2014
  14. I am running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit with media center and I do have FrontPage 2003 installed and it does what I want it to do. If I remember right when I installed it there was some complaint which I just ignored and it finished the install fine.

As for Expression Web I bought a big thick MS book and went through it and did all the tutorials, the problem is I don't use it often enough so every time I want to us it, it is like starting fresh. Maybe my short term memory is going :-( because I have no such problem using Frontpage. Frontpage also appears to work 99.9% on Windows 10 except that when creating a URL & attempt to open a folder to find the file to link to, the program crashes; if you navigate to the file by NOT opening a folder, it works.

One real disadvantage of Frontpage is the time it takes sometimes to open the site & save a simple 150k file - why does it have to work with a temporary file.

Expressions4 appears to access & save files much faster but there are simple things that Frontpage does which Expressions4 doesn't. OK. I'm not the most technically orientated person in the world & there are probably better ways to organise how pages acquire their data but here's a simple example: I want to copy the content from an Excel table which has 2 columns. I can copy/paste into Frontpage, press TAB to position the cursor in the next column, switch to Excel, copy the data, switch back to Frontpage & paste the data without a problem. In Expressions4 the cursor position is 'lost' during the 2nd paste & if you press TAB it selects a different option along the menu bar. The only way is to reselect the cell within the column & paste making the process rather tedious.

Another problem with Expressions4 is how to format an individual cell so that only, for example, 1, 2, 0r 3 sides are formatted; it's a separate action with the cell properties of Frontpage but it's missing from Expressions4.

When I open Expressions4, I immediately get an error. I've no idea what this means but pressing OK accesses the site OK.

WightWalker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Frontpage 2003

1. Microsoft Frontpage 2003 - Similar Threads - Microsoft Frontpage 2003

2. FrontPage Replacement?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    FrontPage Replacement?: Hi. I am using FrontPage 2003 to maintain a website. I understand that Expression Web replaced it however it also seems that even that has been discontinued? What should I be moving to to publish my website going forward? How much does it cost? Thanks....
  3. FrontPage Replacement?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FrontPage Replacement?: Hi. I am using FrontPage 2003 to maintain a website. I understand that Expression Web replaced it however it also seems that even that has been discontinued? What should I be moving to to publish my website going forward? How much does it cost? Thanks....
  4. FrontPage Replacement?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. frontpage 2003

frontpage 2003: i cant get frontpage 2003 to work, downgrading is not a option as this machine came with 11, and i need frontpage, anything else for me will not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/frontpage-2003/9553bf51-9787-4ad5-a506-550204a31d5a
  6. frontpage 2003

in Windows 10 Gaming
    frontpage 2003: i cant get frontpage 2003 to work, downgrading is not a option as this machine came with 11, and i need frontpage, anything else for me will not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/frontpage-2003/9553bf51-9787-4ad5-a506-550204a31d5a
  7. frontpage

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    frontpage: what comes in the frontpage 2000 box? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/frontpage/839f849b-1ac4-48f1-a1c4-87d2f79220ee
  8. Microsoft Office 2003

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Office 2003: Very recently Microsoft seems to have denied access to Office 2003 which is installed on my Windows 10 computer. I have the current Office also on my computer but prefer to use the old version. How can I access it?...
  9. Microsoft Frontpage

Microsoft Frontpage: Sorry, I can't find the list of compatible programs, doe's Microsoft Frontpage work with 10? 9287
  10. Microsoft Frontpage 2003 - Build10158

Microsoft Frontpage 2003 - Build10158: In previous builds this ancient & aged program worked with the exception of inserting hyperlinks but I can report that in this build (10158) all is working including hyperlinks. One less reason for me not to upgrade to Windows 10. 7657