Windows 10: Microsoft is working on a Game Mode for Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft is working on a Game Mode for Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft made a big gaming push with the initial launch of Windows 10. The company initially introduced Game DVR, Game Streaming, and DirectX12.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by swarfega, Dec 27, 2016.

1. swarfega Win User

Microsoft is working on a Game Mode for Windows 10

Read more: https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-working-game-mode-window

See also: Beam Streaming & Increased Performance Coming to Xbox One & Windows 10

:)

swarfega, Dec 27, 2016

2. Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour 2003

Microsoft should really sort this out quickly. There are many older games which do not work with Windows 10. There is no reason why Windows 10 should not be backwards compatible with older games. There could always be an emulator mode encoded in the o.s.
    to allow for playing older games. Many people have spent a lot of money on older games which are now completely useless in Windows 10. Sort it out Microsoft.

S.Roberts1955, Dec 27, 2016
  3. jheath303 Win User
    Steam Compatibility problem.

I am having issues as well with Steam. We have dozens of games, (total war, elder scrolls etc...) and since we received our windows 10 upgrade from Microsoft,
    all the games are locked in 3d mode. This does not appear to be an issue with the graphics card as I have updated to the latest Windows 10 drivers manually (obviously I have verified the 3d settings).
    I asked the game Devs and was told its a Microsoft issue.

I know its a bad idea to upgrade the OS so early if you play games, but i was told "if it worked on Windows 8.1, it will work on Windows 10 seamlessly". I have checked the forums for some of the games, but most of the issues are with individual games, and
    if they work or not. My games work, but they are all messed up in 3d mode with no way to understand what is driving the "3d" mode.

Any advice?

jheath303, Dec 27, 2016
  4. Microsoft is working on a Game Mode for Windows 10

Posted the Windows Central article on this in the gaming section. They seem pretty confident that it will show up in Insider builds soon. As someone who games on my PC every night, I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

blackroseMD1, Dec 27, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    Yea this should be genuinely useful if done right. Maybe the button will be added to the action centre.

swarfega, Dec 28, 2016
  6. BRKKAB Win User
    Hopefully it works with more than Windows Store games. Other wise it will be a waste of ssd and hard disk space.

BRKKAB, Dec 28, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Looks like an extension to Xbox mode does that mean UWP only ?
    "Moreover, it seems like the Game Mode will be part of Microsoft’s Xbox brand just like “Xbox Game Streaming” or “Xbox Game DVR”
    "Game Mode will apparently adjust the resource allocation in Windows 10 when it’s enabled to prioritize games over other applications and processes".
    That's what third party "Optimisers" tried to do ,failing miserably.

CountMike, Dec 28, 2016
  8. Microsoft is working on a Game Mode for Windows 10

I wonder if this will solve my COD Ghosts problem. (posted earlier).

dlwmacgregor, Dec 28, 2016
  9. Trust_No1 Win User
    They can't even solve their current DirectX 9 bug for Windows 8,8.1 & 10, where it limits video ram to only 4GB. Maybe it isn't a bug, they may have purposely broke DirectX 9, to try and force developers to use DirectX 10 and above. In any case, I am almost quite certain these are only for Windows Store games.

Trust_No1, Dec 28, 2016
  10. Sound interesting,i've been looking for that feature on Windows,lets hope that Game Mode will be integrated on Action Center,and with one click the Windows will close/disable all programs/services to provide best experience for gaming.

MariusPetran, Dec 28, 2016
  11. FerchogtX Win User
    That sounds to me like an architerture limitation... I guess I can be mistaken, but DX versions prior to 10 were designed to run on 32 bit enviornments, meaning the libraries and API's were designed to allocate just 4GB max. Again, I can be mistaken...

FerchogtX, Dec 29, 2016
  12. swarfega Win User
    swarfega, Jan 3, 2017
  13. CountMike New Member

Maybe even stupid but not at all surprising considering MS's relentless push to UWP.
    On the other hand, many tried to make game "Sped-em-uppers" and failed miserably.

CountMike, Jan 3, 2017
  14. FerchogtX Win User
    Why do I have the feeling this game mode only deactivates apps for "improving performance" but nothing else?

FerchogtX, Jan 4, 2017
  15. "third party"

Well there's your problem. Third partys try to butcher existing code, while Microsoft is free to rewrite code.

FuturDreamz, Jan 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Microsoft is working on a Game Mode for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft working Game

2. Windows key not working with game open - Game Mode off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows key not working with game open - Game Mode off: I don't game often, so I can't say for sure when this first started to happen, but I have just noticed that pressing the Windows key with a game open no longer opens the Start menu to quickly get out of a game in full screen mode. Several suggestions say to turn of Game Mode...
  3. Windows key not working with game open - Game Mode off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows key not working with game open - Game Mode off: I don't game often, so I can't say for sure when this first started to happen, but I have just noticed that pressing the Windows key with a game open no longer opens the Start menu to quickly get out of a game in full screen mode. Several suggestions say to turn of Game Mode...
  4. Game Mode keeps turning on and off on Windows 10, Game Mode is disabled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Mode keeps turning on and off on Windows 10, Game Mode is disabled.: I have gone in my settings and turned game mode off settings>gaming>game mode then turned the switch to off and also followed the steps I found in this answer...
  5. Windows 10 Safe Mode wont work with Microsoft Accounts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Safe Mode wont work with Microsoft Accounts: Hello everyone. I'm writing this post in order to see if someone out there also got hit with the same issue. The issue is simple: If you NEVER logged into your device with your Microsoft Account password it's IMPOSSIBLE to login into Safe Mode. You just can't, at all, it'll...
  6. Windows 10 N Gaming Mode.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 N Gaming Mode.: Hi I have installed the latest version of windows 10 1909 yesterday but have the pro N version. I know it does not come with the media pack and therefore does not have game mode built in. The solution I found online was to download the windows media feature pack for the N...
  7. Windows 10 Game Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Game Mode: Does the Windows 10 Game Mode only help with Xbox games played on the Xbox App in windows? Or does Game Mode help regular PC games as well? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-game-mode/a3e1ccc4-279b-4a79-a0c2-9e5d524581b3
  8. Microsoft game not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft game not working: I bought an dlc via microsoft store on my phone but it's not in my download list on my xbox or in my order history please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-game-not-working/45ac3956-929b-4196-ad87-989aa18e44dc"
  9. Game Mode missing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Game Mode missing in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Game Mode is a feature available to all users of Windows 10 that focuses system resources on games when enabled. In this post, we will give an explanation as to why this feature might be missing or not be available [...] This post Game Mode missing in...
  10. Microsoft bringing new 'Game Mode' to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft bringing new 'Game Mode' to Windows 10: Microsoft is working on a brand new "Game Mode" feature for Windows 10 that will enhance the PC gaming experience by minimizing resources used by running apps to almost nothing and allocating freed up resources to the game, making it run faster, better and smoother overall....