Windows 10: Microsoft makes biometrics focal point for Windows 10 security

Discus and support Microsoft makes biometrics focal point for Windows 10 security in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft makes biometrics focal point for Windows 10 security With Windows 10, you’ll have more options for password protection. In a recent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by A Guy, Feb 22, 2015.

1. A Guy Win User

Microsoft makes biometrics focal point for Windows 10 security

Source

:)

A Guy, Feb 22, 2015

2. "The Weakest Link" - Windows Hello Weaknesses

Hi there,

Windows Hello was intended to make Windows more secure, but based on the information that I see, it doesn't. It seems like Windows Hello is only as secure as the "weakest link" of security, whether it is the Windows password, the biometric sensor, or the
    Windows Hello PIN. Depending on how these security methods are configured, the weakest method could vary. If the Windows (or Microsoft) password is weak, then this method's lack of security makes Windows Hello pointless to implement. If someone doesn't enable
    symbolic and alphanumeric PINs, then this method's level of security becomes the same as a weak password. The only way that the biometric sensor would make logins more secure is if it was the only login option. However, it doesn't seem like the other login
    options can be disabled. Therefore, biometric sensors would only improve user login speed.

Am I correct on these observations, or am I missing a key detail?

Webmaster2015, Feb 22, 2015
  3. Hello feature in Windows is not working

Hi Jaffrey,

Thank you for the update.

Hello works with a credential technology called Microsoft Passport that’s easier, more convenient, and more secure than using a password, because it uses "biometric authentication" that means you sign in with your face, iris, or fingerprint (or a PIN).

Devices with face sensors or fingerprint readers running Windows 10 will work with Windows Hello with the compatible and updated biometric drivers from your biometric device manufacturer that will make smooth operation. If their updated drivers
    does not help, the same driver can be installed in Compatibility Mode.

Hope this helps.

Niranjan Manjhi, Feb 22, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Interesting,, thanks for post the link/article.

BunnyJ, Feb 22, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    Fingerprints are WORSE than passwords. You can't change your fingerprint if it gets compromised....

Mystere, Feb 22, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    But it would be harder to copy/duplicate a set of fingerprints than stealing a password. Well, unless you cut off a finger but that's not very likely to occur.

BunnyJ, Feb 22, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    Not really. Consider ApplePay... you get mugged and they find you have a nice iPhone, and they force you to use the fingerprint reader to unlock the phone at gunpoint. They see your bank accounts are all in your phone.. ok, what's easiest? Hint, taking your finger is not a stretch...

However, that's not really my point. My point was about compromise. Suppose the mathematical data points of your biometric are stolen due to a flaw in the software, which hackers take advantage of.. They can now upload that data and pretend to be you... and there is no way you can change the password!

The issue is more around the fact that we do not have the technology to ensure your biometric data stays secure, while at the same time providing no alternative if it gets compromised. It's just a bad idea.

In other words, no thought has been put into place as to how to deal with flaws in biometric security, and the safety of the biometric data. It's like when someone had the bright idea to use facial recognition for paswords... hey, all I need is your picture and I can get into your stuff!

Mystere, Feb 22, 2015
  8. groze Win User

What if you don't have or want to use a biometrics computer system? I think it is a bad idea for moral reasons as well. I also agree with Mystere that it could be comprised. In the U.S. Yahoo accounts now force you to use a cell phone or not have an account with them.

groze, Feb 22, 2015
  9. badrobot Win User
    "netplwiz" is one of the settings I change right after installation. So, this biometric thing is not for me. *Biggrin

badrobot, Feb 22, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    I do that same and it works just fine for me.

BunnyJ, Feb 22, 2015
  11. This scene from "Reservoir Dogs" sums it up: [youtube]BEc0JLSeEu4[/youtube]

If it replaces passwords I'd say it will be highly likely that criminals will try cutting a finger off.

Biometric security is a contradiction in terms.

lehnerus2000, Feb 22, 2015
  12. Arelem Win User
    I think all y'all have been watching to many bad TV detective shows. *really

Arelem, Feb 22, 2015
  13. Wynona Win User

Regardless, I ain't agonna use fingerprint stuff. And I don't have bank info on my phone either. That's just plain not smart.

Wynona, Feb 22, 2015
  14. Lets see here
    Touch screens and using a finger print security feature :/
    I believe iphone's were already hacked with that option once not easy but has been done.

ThrashZone, Feb 22, 2015
  15. Vladimir Win User
    Vladimir, Feb 22, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft makes biometrics focal point for Windows 10 security - Similar Threads - Microsoft makes biometrics

2. Windows security missing biometric options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows security missing biometric options: Hi, I have an issue with the biometric security options of my laptop: although I can access Windows through Windows Hello face recognition and fingerprint, I do not find this option when the Windows Security popup ask my password for instance, in chrome when I want to access...
  3. Windows security missing biometric options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows security missing biometric options: Hi, I have an issue with the biometric security options of my laptop: although I can access Windows through Windows Hello face recognition and fingerprint, I do not find this option when the Windows Security popup ask my password for instance, in chrome when I want to access...
  4. Biometrics security

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Biometrics security: I’m looking for help with biometric security, has anybody tried to use fingerprint technology to identify palm handprints? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/biometrics-security/9b1614ce-afba-4197-a0e5-f36aec5c68a6
  5. Biometrics security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Biometrics security: I’m looking for help with biometric security, has anybody tried to use fingerprint technology to identify palm handprints? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/biometrics-security/9b1614ce-afba-4197-a0e5-f36aec5c68a6
  6. Biometrics security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Microsoft Windows biometrics

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Microsoft Windows biometrics: Since the last update (maybe two), my Windows biometrics no longer works, so I can't log in with my fingerprint scanner anymore. I've tried the suggestions posted previously when this occurred before but it doesn't seem to work for me. Processor Intel Core i5-4310U CPU...
  8. Windows Hello brings biometric security to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Hello brings biometric security to Windows 10: While not yet present in the technical preview of Windows 10, a new feature called Windows Hello will bring biometric security to Windows 10 in a native format, essentially eliminating the need for passwords. Instead, you'll be able to log into your Windows device using your...
  9. Microsoft will support biometric password-killers on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will support biometric password-killers on Windows 10: Soon, you may be able to log in to Outlook with a fingerprint or an eyescan. At the Stanford Cybersecurity Summit on Friday, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would support the next version of the Fast Identification Online (FIDO) spec, allowing devices to work with a...
  10. Windows 10 Redstone: Continuum to be big focal point

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Redstone: Continuum to be big focal point: Windows 10 “Threshold 2” is almost ready. With final tests hopefully beginning next week (I’m told it won’t be launching November 2nd now, more on that here), Microsoft has begun focusing on its next planned update for Windows 10, codenamed Redstone and coming in the summer...