Windows 10: Microsoft messing me around with Windows 10-not sure what is going on

Discus and support Microsoft messing me around with Windows 10-not sure what is going on in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a laptop with Windows 7. A few weeks ago I suddenly found that Windows had appeared, I had not requested it-I assume that I must have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by peterofleo, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Microsoft messing me around with Windows 10-not sure what is going on

Hi,
    I have a laptop with Windows 7. A few weeks ago I suddenly found that Windows had appeared, I had not requested it-I assume that I must have ignored a message from MS saying that they were about to upgrade.
    I didn't really like it it messed up some activities but it appeared to be a bit quicker. Yesterday my pointer(mouse) stopped working so I managed to reboot it. The pointer re-appeared but I suddenly found that my desktop picture had disappeared, I then found all "links" from programs to data had all disappeared in fact my "documents" folder was empty. It seemed that W10 had completed the activation and left me in the lurch. Amongst problems were, no bookmarks or history for Mozzilla firefox, access to other computers in the network suddenly required an unknown user name & password, my editing video program lost its links. I managed to find the bookmarks and the files for my video editing program. I left everything else.
    This morning when I switched on my laptop everything was back to normal - the desktop picture was back and everything seems okay. What an is going on?

:)

peterofleo, Apr 24, 2016

2. What is going on with the Microsoft Solitaire Collection?

I have been playing the daily challenges for about 18 months with not too many problems but on 1st July was unable to play any more. As soon as I try to load a game I just get a white screen and cannot do anything. Is this a ploy by Microsoft to get me
    to pay to play or something else that other people are experiencing?

Player705698619, Apr 24, 2016
  3. What is going on with the Microsoft Solitaire Collection?

Thank you your response. Glad to hear things are running smooth. If
    you need anything, don't hesitate to
    get back to us anytime.

Jomari Arc, Apr 24, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Microsoft messing me around with Windows 10-not sure what is going on

Hello Peter, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It sounds like you may have been signed in to a temporary account or everything didn't sync yet when nothing was available.

Did you want to go back to Windows 7, or stick with Windows 10?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...s-windows.html

Brink, Apr 24, 2016
  5. Hi Brink,
    Thanks for your quick response.

I would probably have preferred to go back - then I would know what was going on. I was told that if I did some of my files may get lost - unlikely but diffcult to confirm or otherwise. Also it seemed sensible to convert to W10 before MS start charging for it. I would have left it a few months so that I could check with friends who might have converted for their experiences.
    The event yesterday included loss of many activities from the 4 box thing (which I assume is the new start button). This included no "control panel" in fact very little there at all.
    How could it have got out of Sync? Or set up a temporary account - I agree that something of that sort probably happened. How did it recover today and, probably more important, can it happen again?
    Regards,
    Peter

peterofleo, Apr 24, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It could have just been something temporarily gone wrong during the upgrade and now sorted. It should be fine.

If you wanted to go back to Windows 7, you will have up to 30 days to do so using the method in the tutorial above. This will give you some time to play with Widows 10 to see how you like it if wanted.

Brink, Apr 24, 2016
  7. Hi Brink,
    I suspect I am too late to go back to Windows 7. I think I found the bookmarks for firefox in a .old file. I cannot find any .old files today. Very odd.

peterofleo, Apr 24, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

If it's been over 30 days since you upgraded to Windows 10 or you deleted the Windows.old folder, then it would be too late other than to clean install back to Windows 7.

Brink, Apr 24, 2016
  9. I mentioned that today my system seems to have reverted to the situation before the loss of data links etc. Once I restablished the links including finding the video file I was editing using Pinnacle Studio, I continued editing that file. I saved the file last night.
    Now that everything has gone back to where it was I discover that the editing I did last night has disappeared. How did W10 manage rollback those amendments from my datafiles. Windows 10 is clearly in an unstable state and thanks to Microsoft's unwanted action to upgrade me without my permission I am potentially in a mess. I no longer trust this operating system. Any ideas how I can prevent Sundays mess occuring again please?

peterofleo, Apr 25, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you were signed in to a temporary profile, that could explain why it did that.

Windows 10 has been pretty stable for me, but it is best if clean installed instead of upgraded to.

Brink, Apr 25, 2016
  11. I have not clean installed on any of my systems yet
    But I can confirm that Windows 10 is the best most stable Windows I have ever installed and use

hTconeM9user, Apr 25, 2016
  12. Brink and others,
    Thanks for responses, now seems okay - still confused as to why the temporary blip occurred. The rollback is partially explained. I forgot that when I edited my video file on Sunday - the Temporary odd situation , I changed the name of the file in case it was currupt. I forgot this and on Monday when , normality returned (sort of!) the "last file updated" must have been "rolled back" to the original file. So Pinnacle was editing the original copy of the file.
    I will do a back up of my files in case this occurs again. Still don't fully understand W10, I will have to read it up when I get time. I am very busy as chairman of the LEO computers Society (a historical Society commemorating the World's first business computer LEO l).

peterofleo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft messing me around with Windows 10-not sure what is going on - Similar Threads - Microsoft messing around

2. Not sure, whats going on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not sure, whats going on: So, I think, my gpu is going bad, is just a guess.I have uploaded two mini dump files link. 2 Items Any, help appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-sure-whats-going-on/adfa7449-2b96-4a52-baa2-2af15b34913a
  3. Not sure, whats going on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not sure, whats going on: So, I think, my gpu is going bad, is just a guess.I have uploaded two mini dump files link. 2 Items Any, help appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-sure-whats-going-on/adfa7449-2b96-4a52-baa2-2af15b34913a
  4. Not sure what's going on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not sure what's going on: Hello, I'm not sure what's going on. But whenever I start my computer and it gets the the lock screen and I go to put in the password. It will freeze, go to a clack screen then keep freezing and going to a black screen. Sometimes I can get the password in and it unlocks and...
  5. Not sure what's going on

Not sure what's going on: Hello, I'm not sure what's going on. But whenever I start my computer and it gets the the lock screen and I go to put in the password. It will freeze, go to a clack screen then keep freezing and going to a black screen. Sometimes I can get the password in and it unlocks and...
  6. Not sure what's going on

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. Not Sure What To Do Anymore - Going To Purchase A New PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not Sure What To Do Anymore - Going To Purchase A New PC: At this point, I am not even angry anymore. I just don't give a s*** to even react, because it is what it is. I have had this desktop gaming pc for almost 3 years and never had am issue until about 3 weeks ago when my system updated. I really don't understand the issue....
  8. Not quite sure what's going on here

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not quite sure what's going on here: [ATTACH] I load a website, and get about 50 of these in one go, instantly. That entire black border is just popup stacked on popup. How do I stop this from happening altogether? PS - I have clicked 'Yes' and 'View Certificate' and even installed the certificate at points...
  9. not sure what this is?

not sure what this is?: versionCode:3068 versionName:1.7.0 sharedUserLabel:0 device id:F22FA39196261E59ACAB77F109943367470539AE22B3598FA419E1045161D907 packageName:com.audible.application sharedUserId:null RELEASE:4.4.4 SDK:19 BOARD: MSM8926 BRAND:Verizon DEVICE:matisseltevzw...
  10. Networking messing around

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking messing around: After you ms had made changes to the networking system in windows 10, after the June 2018 update. I am no longer able to have a stable connection with either my desktop pc or my laptop. Both these devices are using windows 10 64, pro which cost me a hell lot of money....