Windows 10: Microsoft Office for Android

Discus and support Microsoft Office for Android in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Microsoft goes all in with Android apps for business | ZDNet Wow! How did I miss this one? I tested Office for Android when there were only Word,... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Wynona, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Wynona Win User

Microsoft Office for Android

Microsoft goes all in with Android apps for business | ZDNet

Wow! How did I miss this one? I tested Office for Android when there were only Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Then Outlook became available. To be fair, I got an invite, but hadn't paid attention, since I didn't expect more than the base apps in the new Preview. *Sad My bad.

Now it seems that the whole enchilada is available for Android phones. I'm going to jump off the ledge and guess it's also available for Android tablets, since I haven't read Ed Bott's article. *Smile

Dogpile! That is if I got it wrong.

:)

Wynona, Mar 3, 2016
  2. rashferg Win User

Office Lens for Android

Fix the account login issue and allow saving to Onedrive again!

This bug has been in place for months! Worked fine previously. This is on Android OS, Samsung Galaxy S7. Has been broken thru multiple app updates and even an OS update. If the program is not supported on Android any longer than pull it from the Play store.
    BTW, the document scan feature recently added to Onedrive is inferior; it does not have automatic cropping and it comes in rotated 90 degrees.

rashferg, Mar 3, 2016
  3. Dave_0001 Win User
    So when is Microsoft Office Mobile going to get support for password protected MS Word files?

Come on Microsoft even Android supports password protected MS Office files

Dave_0001, Mar 3, 2016
  4. Microsoft Office for Android

It seems okay, I find myself still liking Google Docs, etc. I noticed when I tried Office on my Tablet it really soaked up the memory.
    I don't have a high end tablet either (Samsung Tab 4).

Windowsfree, Mar 3, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Well for 30 seconds I was excited at the prospect of outlook even if a bit cut down.

One of the big pluses of outlook on a pc is the ability to sort emails by name which cannot be done with the gmail on the web or the gmail app on android.

So I downloaded it thinking I must be able to sort gmail now.

What a major disappointment!

Cut down - hah! Totally eviscerated would be a better term.
    It is bordering on criminal to call this app outlook!

It basically does no more than the gmail or one of dozens of other email clients app.

What a waste of space.

cereberus, Mar 3, 2016
  6. Hmmm, not sure if I am missing something about the Gmail. When I want to sort by name, I just type name in search bar and it sorts. Perhaps I am not using this functionality as you mean.
    I admit I am not a power user by any means, Actually just started working with Windows since 10 was released. Still a linux user.

Windowsfree, Mar 3, 2016
  7. Wynona Win User
    Sigh . . . not everyone can be pleased.

I only use Outlook for email; I don't have a need for all the bells and whistles. I use my smartphone for communication, so I really don't need Outlook there either.

For me, Office for Android will be a "fill-in" when I'm not at my desktop computer with a full size monitor. So, it will be ideal for me when I need to refer to a document already created or to make notes of any meetings I attend.

Wynona, Mar 3, 2016
  8. Microsoft Office for Android

I agree with your thoughts, you use what works best for you. I think my android phone only has Gmail, Messenger and 1 time wasting game on it now.
    I have Office 2016 but found Outlook very slow when used for my Gmail, so I use Emclient on it and it sinks both ways for my Gmail calendar etc. Libreoffice is so similar to MS Office for my needs I use that on another computer.

My laptop is still running Manjaro Linux, which just works for me, but I find Windows 10 interesting.

Windowsfree, Mar 3, 2016
  9. Thanks for info, don't use Android anymore but nice to know these are there if I come back *Smile

Any ideas how Office for Android compares to Windows store version of office?

paulsalter, Mar 3, 2016
  10. Wynona Win User
    Nah, but I'm pretty sure they're very similar. It could be that the Windows Store version is the Windows 10 Office Online version.

My guess is that if I'm going to speak with any type of authority, I'm going to have to do some more research on the various Offices. Since I subscribed to Office 365 2013/2016, the Android Mobile Office, and was on the Preview for both, so many new things have happened that I've kinda lost track! As I said in my original post . . . How did I miss this one?

What I know to be fact at this moment:

1. Office 365 2016 has been released.
    2. Office 365 now has an insider Program like Windows 10.
    3. Office for Android has been expanded.
    4. According to Ed Bott, Office for Android may work on my tablet.
    5. Office for Android is free if installed on tablets up to 10.1".
    5. With my O365 subscription, I can put Office on five PCs (or Macs) and five tablets (any size).
    6. I am nowhere near to being an expert!

Wynona, Mar 3, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

The built in email app on my Samsung smart phone is an almost identical clone to Outlook -- I haven't a clue what it is but it works just like Outlook (I HATE Web based email stuff -- slow , riddled with ads etc).

As far as the rest of the Office suite is concerned why not just download WPS Office for android -- Free and seems 100% compatible with Ms Office for documents etc -- Good enough as I don't think anybody is going to design complex Office docs with loads of Macros and mega complex charts on a small smartphone screen. !!!!!

Office Suite for Android | WPS Office

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 3, 2016
  12. Wynona Win User
    Good one, Jimbo! However, I'm such a Beta Testing Junkie that I subscribed to Office 365 in order to test from the get-go rather than wait for the public Preview.

WPS . . . Word Perfect? Guess I'll have a look-see. *Smile

Wynona, Mar 3, 2016
  13. Wynona Win User

After looking at the site, it's not Word Perfect . . . it's Kingsoft. However, nowhere in the "ad" does it say anything about the apps being Kingsoft . . . so, so, so easily confused for Word Perfect!

I've used it in the past and it didn't measure up, but I'm sure it's better now.

Again, though, it seems that Office for Android is also free, so why not? I already have experience with Microsoft Office from way, way, way back, and it's everything I need, even for Android. *Smile

Wynona, Mar 3, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    I like to view a list of all emails in user name order sometimes as then it is easy to find a user whose name you cannot remember.

cereberus, Mar 4, 2016
  15. Barman58 Win User
    I've tried most of the Compatible Office suites over the years and have found that there are always minor issues if you are interacting with true Microsoft office - Either your own on a PC or customers, colleagues etc. this is not major but can be a deal breaker where layout is critical, lines may break at a slightly different place and spoiling the flow. Will have to check out the MS offerings on my tablet and see what happens

Barman58, Mar 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Microsoft Office for Android - Similar Threads - Microsoft Office Android

2. Google G Suite making Microsoft Office editing available on Android

in Windows 10 News
    Google G Suite making Microsoft Office editing available on Android: Quick launch summary We’re making Office editing available on Android. This feature brings the collaborative and assistive features of G Suite to your Microsoft Office files when you’re using your Android device. Already available on the web, it:...
  3. Microsoft bringing Fluent Design to Office for iOS and Android

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft bringing Fluent Design to Office for iOS and Android: In Seattle, an engineer thumbs through a Mumbai-based coworker's edits while walking between meetings. In rural China, an artisan uses their phone to sell their creations. In Johannesburg, a lawyer texts back a client before catching the bus. These real-life snapshots show...
  4. Office Insiders November feature update 16.0.12228.20168 for Android Office

in Windows 10 News
    Office Insiders November feature update 16.0.12228.20168 for Android Office: We are pleased to announce a preview of the November feature update for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for Office Insiders on Android. Release details Here's everything you need to know about this feature update. Released: November 12, 2019 Version: 16.0.12228.20168...
  5. Introducing the Office mobile app public preview for Android and iOS Office

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing the Office mobile app public preview for Android and iOS Office: Today we are excited to share a new vision for how people get work done on a phone – a new app that’s ambitious enough to simply be called Office. Download for Android (public preview) | Download for iOS (public preview)* Vision for working on mobile devices We all rely...
  6. Office Insiders October feature update 16.0.12130.20112 for Android Office

in Windows 10 News
    Office Insiders October feature update 16.0.12130.20112 for Android Office: October 7, 2019 Build 16.0.12130.20112 Outlook Actionable Messages Quickly act on actionable messages when senders include the appropriate markup. Learn more [ATTACH] Tablet Search Experience Update See more! Searching for items is now an optimized experience with a...
  7. April feature update 16.0.11601.20000 for Office for Android

in Windows 10 News
    April feature update 16.0.11601.20000 for Office for Android: We are pleased to announce a preview of the April feature update for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for Office Insiders on Android. Release details Here's everything you need to know about this feature update. Released: April 3, 2019 Version: 16.0.11601.20000 Platform:...
  8. March feature update 16.0.11425.20132 for Office for Android

in Windows 10 News
    March feature update 16.0.11425.20132 for Office for Android: Announcing February feature update for Office for AndroidWe are pleased to announce the monthly feature update for Office for Android, now generally available to Office customers. Release details Released: March 18, 2019 Package version: 16.0.11425.20132 Platform: Android...
  9. Using Microsoft Office 365 on an android tablet

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Using Microsoft Office 365 on an android tablet: I've recently bought the above and have installed in on my laptop, and would now like to be able to edit and see my documents on Word and Excel on my android tablet. I'm at a bit of a loss on how to achieve this. I've looked at the support given on the Microsoft website...
  10. Microsoft Office on your Android tablet? Not yet - if Intel's inside

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Office on your Android tablet? Not yet - if Intel's inside: Microsoft is doing a good job getting its flagship products on Android and iOS. Office for Android was released a few weeks ago, and in our testing is a sterling implementation. Those planning on using Office on an Android tablet need to be aware that it doesn't yet run on...