Windows 10: Microsoft Onedrive system tray icon failing to display properly?

Discus and support Microsoft Onedrive system tray icon failing to display properly? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On my HP laptop running windows 10 home edition (laptop specs are intel cpu 4 core, 2.2 ghz, 16 gig or ram), I think a recent update caused the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Willabong, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Willabong Win User

Microsoft Onedrive system tray icon failing to display properly?

On my HP laptop running windows 10 home edition (laptop specs are intel cpu 4 core, 2.2 ghz, 16 gig or ram), I think a recent update caused the Onedrive icon on start up of laptop to display 4 instances in the system tray, and when clicking on each icon they disappear. The result is I cannot access Onedrive from the system tray?
    I have checked "Settings" and the Onedrive icon is set to display, but ticking this option on and off makes no difference.
    I now have to rely on a desktop Onedrive icon to access my files? My "Box" cloud account also fails to display a system tray icon?
    Any ideas on how to correct this fault please?*Sad

:)

Willabong, Mar 7, 2018

2. OneDrive Icon

The OneDrive Icon is being displayed in the system tray (bottom right of screen).

How do you disable the display of the OneDrive Icon?

Thanks for your help

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Kenneth Pincus, Mar 7, 2018
  3. Windows 10 and OneDrive

Hi,

I suggest you to reset OneDrive and check if it helps you. You can follow the steps given below to reset OneDrive.

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run
    Window.

2. In the Run
    Window enter the following: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset

3. Click OK. The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should disappear and re-appear after a minute or two.

4. If the OneDrive system tray icon does not re-appear after a few minutes, do the following. In the Run Window Enter:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

After reset it done, right click on OneDrive icon present on the System Tray and click on Settings, then click on Chose Folder and make sure that all the folder which you want to sync must be checked.

Let us know if you need more help from us.

PranavMishra5582, Mar 7, 2018
  4. spunk Win User

if you open a file and save it in OneDrive, it will pop up on the Taskbar to sync

spunk, Mar 8, 2018
  5. Willabong Win User
    No! The icon appears in the system tray when I add a file/files to the onedrive folder, and seems to be syncing, but when I move the mouse pointer over the icon it disappears again?

Willabong, Mar 8, 2018
  6. tracit99 Win User
    Welcome to the wonderful world of OneDrive. No disrespect to OneDrive users (Willabong I feel your pain) but the way I fixed this problem was to completely uninstall OneDrive on all of my computers and install Backup and Sync from Google. I started using OneDrive when it was first released as SkyDrive. Over the years I have been committed to using it with my systems and I have spent countless hours installing/uninstalling/reinstalling and waiting while it was "Processing changes". Finally, about a month ago I gave up and made the switch. I hope to never look back. So far Backup and Sync/Google Drive is doing well. Sayōnara OneDrive.

Michael T

tracit99, Mar 8, 2018
  7. Willabong Win User
    Onedrive works perfectly well on my desktop and other HP laptop, and all three should be synced, I think the one with the disappearing system tray icon is synced, and I can use it successfully from the desktop icon, but I would rather use a system tray icon instead?
    I have a 100 gig account with microsoft, so am reluctant to switch at the moment?

Willabong, Mar 8, 2018
  8. AndreTen Win User

Does the icon disappear completely or just move to hidden area?

Microsoft Onedrive system tray icon failing to display properly? [​IMG]

AndreTen, Mar 8, 2018
  9. Willabong Win User
    It vanishes completely, not in the hidden area?

Willabong, Mar 8, 2018
  10. AndreTen Win User
    few things to check..

- could Onedrive have been disabled at Startup? Check in TaskManager / Startup..
    - is start with Windows checked in OneDrive settings?
    - can you browse files in explorer?
    - setup new Windows account and see if it works there
    edit: any crash reports regarding Onedrive in Reliability history?

AndreTen, Mar 8, 2018
  11. Willabong Win User
    In Task Manager/Startup there are two instances of Onedrive: "Microsoft Onedrive" and "Microsoft Onedrive (2)", only Onedrive (2) is enabled ..... Should there be two entries? If not, how do I remove one of them?

Willabong, Mar 9, 2018
  12. AndreTen Win User
    AndreTen, Mar 9, 2018
  13. Willabong Win User

After uninstalling Onedrive, how do I go about re-installing?
    PS: I do not have Microsoft Office?

Willabong, Mar 9, 2018
  14. AndreTen Win User
    Sorry for late reply, was out

Install Onedrive from Microsoft Store,
    or

www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/onedrive/9wzdncrfj1p3

also this should work (in admin command prompt):

Code: %Systemroot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe[/quote]

AndreTen, Mar 9, 2018
  15. EdTittel Win User
    Search for OneDriveSetup.exe on your system drive. Once you've found it, run the newest version you can find that's not in the WinSxS folder hierarchy. That should do the trick!
    I point to the one(s) that qualify in this screencap taken using voidtools Search Everything:

Microsoft Onedrive system tray icon failing to display properly? [​IMG]

Either of the two files with arrows pointing to them in the preceding screencap would do the trick on my system. Yours should show something similiar, too.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft Onedrive system tray icon failing to display properly? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Onedrive system

2. System Tray Icon Will Not Display.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Tray Icon Will Not Display.: Win 10 x64On my system tray I have several icons for running programs. I know to to set them up to display.One of the programs is running, as confirmed by various methods but refuses to display on the system tray.The icon is activated but it just does not show. As all the...
  3. System Tray Icon Will Not Display.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Tray Icon Will Not Display.: Win 10 x64On my system tray I have several icons for running programs. I know to to set them up to display.One of the programs is running, as confirmed by various methods but refuses to display on the system tray.The icon is activated but it just does not show. As all the...
  4. System Tray Icon Will Not Display.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. OneDrive icon not showing up in system tray........

OneDrive icon not showing up in system tray........: Good afternoon, My onedrive icon isn't showing in the system tray by the clock on the task bar. Also, some files have been trying to sync for days and i get some error messages when i try to open files and it states that that file can't be viewed but it is the correct...
  6. tray icons are not displayed properly bug on windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    tray icons are not displayed properly bug on windows 10: [ATTACH] Hello This problem happens to me with every PC/laptop on windows 10 that I had. The icons of a specific program are actually running another program. For example, microphone icon is actually running another program called "Everything". And as you can see on...
  7. Chineese display icon in system tray.

Chineese display icon in system tray.: What looks like the display icon in my system tray is in Chinese. [ATTACH] How to revert to my normal English? Thank you, Steve https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chineese-display-icon-in-system-tray/9e4a4695-d0f0-49b3-8f70-34b418f8476d
  8. System Tray Icon

System Tray Icon: I have a vision problem and the Safely Remove Icon is very hard for me to see. I would like to change the icon to something more visible. I can't seem to find it in the registry. Thank you....
  9. system tray icons

system tray icons: I received an update to Win 10 and ever since the update, I am only able to see two icons on the system tray at the same time. For example, I now have the speaker icon and the wifi "fan" icon on the system tray. I would like to also have the battery icon on like I've always...
  10. Onedrive icons not displaying properly!

in Windows 10 Support
    Onedrive icons not displaying properly!: I have a very weird issue where the folder and file symbols associated with onedrive (sync, OK or ERROR symbols) are not displayed when navigating the onedrive folder on my PC. All the files and folders only display the sync symbol while the onedrive app in the taskbar shows...