Windows 10: Microsoft open sources original File Manager from 90s for Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft open sources original File Manager from 90s for Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Brilliant! I can even even choose the Explorer font which I can't do in Windows 10 - such is progress. I can navigate straight to the disk / folder -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Steve C, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Steve C Win User

Microsoft open sources original File Manager from 90s for Windows 10

Brilliant! I can even even choose the Explorer font which I can't do in Windows 10 - such is progress. I can navigate straight to the disk / folder - none of this library and recent stuff rubbish to navigate through!

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Source: Microsoft open sources original File Manager from the '90s so it can run on Windows 10

Microsoft open sources original File Manager from 90s for Windows 10 [​IMG]

:)

Brink, Apr 8, 2018
  3. Activating Windows 10

Did you ever originally have a valid license for Windows 10 Enterprise or did you Windows Insider License originate from the Windows Enterprise 90 day trial?

Andre Da Costa, Apr 8, 2018
  4. Microsoft open sources original File Manager from 90s for Windows 10

Windows 10 Task Manager (not responding)?

I carried out the original advice...

it eventually came back with the following error message.

0x800f0906

The source files could not be downloaded.

Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature.

For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\logs\DISM\dism.log

** Really user friendly, I don't think. **

I should add in my case that I was running a third party advanced Task Manager on Windows 7 Pro before I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, and only after I installed Windows 10 Pro did I decide that the still runable Advanced Task Manager was a little too advanced
    for me. This of course uninstalled fine.

I wrongly as it turned out expected Windows 10 Pro to revert to bog standard Task Manager.

John C McCulloch, Apr 8, 2018
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Just so everyone knows, it's a portable program.
    So just put it on your OneDrive(in a folder that's sync'd top all your machines), create a desktop shortcut, and enjoy*Smile

Cliff S, Apr 8, 2018
  6. pigpenz Win User
    all right, brings back memories......it still does everything it needs to do

pigpenz, Apr 8, 2018
  7. swarfega Win User
    Brilliant idea Cliff!

swarfega, Apr 8, 2018
  8. DavidY Win User

Did File Manager in Win3.1 really allow long filenames as opposed to 8.3 names?
    I thought that was only with Windows 95 - although it's a long time ago so maybe I remembered wrongly?

DavidY, Apr 8, 2018
  9. VBJP Win User
    Booted my windows 3.11 for workgroups install opened file manager and tried creating directory with long name it was cut to 8 letters, so probably no support for long file names.

VBJP, Apr 9, 2018
  10. Berton Win User
    Right, since Win3.xx rode on top of DOS it had the same file limits as DOS. One cool thing I liked 'back then' was a small applet that allowed different color drive icons but it loaded in either config.sys or autoexec.bat, or both, can't recall the details. What we knew as Windows 95 was called Program Manager in Win3.xx, booted to DOS then used one of the various/popular applets to load Windows such as HDM/Hard Disk Menu. Win95 was the beginning of merging the command line of DOS with the GUI/Graphical User Interface of Windows, also known as WYSIWYG [What You See Is What You Get].

Berton, Apr 9, 2018
  11. VBJP Win User
    Normally just typing win in DOS command prompt would load windows/program manager.

12. Berton Win User
    Could also add win.exe to the autoexec.bat file and go directly to Windows after DOS had loaded.

Berton, Apr 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft open sources original File Manager from 90s for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft open sources

2. Files are dragged and dropped and the original stays in the source folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files are dragged and dropped and the original stays in the source folder: I recently placed a new hard drive on my computer. The C: drive failed. I have another drive D: where all of my personal files are kept.Now, I have the files that stay in the downloads folder when dragged and dropped.Example: Downloads folder in C:Nissan.PDF is then dragged...
  3. Files are dragged and dropped and the original stays in the source folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files are dragged and dropped and the original stays in the source folder: I recently placed a new hard drive on my computer. The C: drive failed. I have another drive D: where all of my personal files are kept.Now, I have the files that stay in the downloads folder when dragged and dropped.Example: Downloads folder in C:Nissan.PDF is then dragged...
  4. Files are dragged and dropped and the original stays in the source folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to stop file explorer folder library from going to original source of folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop file explorer folder library from going to original source of folder: This issue has a 'Post a Question' type topic created here, but the topic is locked, and there's an incorrect answer marked as correct solution.So I'm posting this 'Post a discussion' type topic to share THE CORRECT SOLUTION.If you don't want Eplorer to jump to the original...
  6. Open Source on Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open Source on Microsoft Store: How can I publish a free open-source project on Microsoft Store? It's a Win32 Windows desktop app using WinUI 3 and Windows SDK API. What sort of developer account do I need?...
  7. Open Source on Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Source on Microsoft Store: How can I publish a free open-source project on Microsoft Store? It's a Win32 Windows desktop app using WinUI 3 and Windows SDK API. What sort of developer account do I need?...
  8. Open source software for "tracking" and data management?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Open source software for "tracking" and data management?: Can you recommend a software that I can use to manage data and track its progress, and which is easier on eyes than MS excel. I also want to create lists, graphs for comparison and personalize it for tables, background images, etc. submitted by /u/paperdoggy0 [link]...
  9. Microsoft PowerToys rebooted in open source for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft PowerToys rebooted in open source for Windows 10: Overview PowerToys is a set of utilities for power users to tune and streamline their Windows experience for greater productivity. Inspired by the Windows 95 era PowerToys project, this reboot provides power users with ways to squeeze more efficiency out of the Windows 10...
  10. Microsoft: An Open Source Windows Is ‘Definitely Possible’

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft: An Open Source Windows Is ‘Definitely Possible’: Microsoft’s software empire rests on Windows, the computer operating system that runs so many of the world’s desktop PCs, laptops, phones, and servers. Along with the Office franchise, it generates the majority of the company’s revenues. But one day, the company could “open...