Windows 10: Microsoft programs not working

Discus and support Microsoft programs not working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; after the update to 10240 this week, the following programs dont work when opened from the start bat, or anywhere for that matter....they open and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dockmaster, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Microsoft programs not working

after the update to 10240 this week, the following programs dont work when opened from the start bat, or anywhere for that matter....they open and disappear!
    Calendar
    Grove Music
    Mail
    People
    Phone Companion
    Photos

any thoughts?
    thanks
    billd

:)

dockmaster, Jul 29, 2015

2. Microsoft icons, Store, Cortana, Programs not working

problem seems to have resolved it self after an update. Or one of the times I did a restore took hold. System is operating fine now. Thank you.

John Thrippleton

johntThrippleton, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Microsoft icons, Store, Cortana, Programs not working

Hi John,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let's try the following steps and check.

Step 1: Start the computer in safe mode

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The words
    Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you're using.

a. When you hit the power button in Windows 10ssss, hold down the
    Shift key when clicking the Restart button.

b. The next screen will present you with three options. Click
    Troubleshoot.

c. Next, hit
    Advanced options followed by Windows
    Startup Settings from the next screen.

d. Your PC will now be rebooted to enable the advanced parameters, which include Safe Mode as well. Once it restarts, you’ll get nine options whereby the following commands
    apply:

• F4 for Safe Mode
    • F5 for Safe Mode with Networking
    • F6 for Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    Step 2: Perform Clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note:
    Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Step 3: Run System File Checker tool

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Press Windows key + X and click
    Command Prompt (Admin)

Type the following command and press Enter

sfc /scannow

Note: Do not close this Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

Step 4: Create new user account and check.

Press Windows key + R to open
    RUN box

Type control userpasswords2 and press
    OK

Under User Account window and under
    Users tab, click Add tab

Under How will this person sign-in windows, click the option at the bottom
    Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended)

On the next window click Local Account
    at the bottom

Choose a user name (use password if you want to or you can leave the password section blank as it is just to test)

Click Next and then click
    Finish

As you click Finish, the previous User Accounts
    window remains on the screen

Select newly created user and click Properties

Click Group Membership tab

Click to select Administrator and click
    Other and select Administrator from drop-down menu

Click Apply and then click
    OK

Log-in to the new user account and check if all the icons including Sound Recorder are showing fine.

When you know they are fine, you can then switch to Microsoft Account.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

Microsoft programs not working

1. Microsoft programs not working - Similar Threads - Microsoft programs working

2. Program not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program not working: Hello,My PrintMaster Gold 18 has stopped working. It is installed on my Dell laptop and I have rebooted it twice. I have the disc to reinstall but am reluctant to uninstall because I don't want to lose all my past files. What do you suggest I do to get it working again?...
  3. Program not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program not working: Hello,My PrintMaster Gold 18 has stopped working. It is installed on my Dell laptop and I have rebooted it twice. I have the disc to reinstall but am reluctant to uninstall because I don't want to lose all my past files. What do you suggest I do to get it working again?...
  4. My Microsoft Mail program quit working.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    My Microsoft Mail program quit working.: Microsoft downloaded a reinstall OS but still doesn't work. Two PCs running Win 10 and different printers yet neither will print from Windows Mail app. Suggestions? Deleted Mail app and reinstalled. Still fails to print on two different PCs. Appears the app is defective...
  5. Saving Photos not working in Microsoft Photos program

Saving Photos not working in Microsoft Photos program: For ages I have been using Microsoft Photos but have suddenly encountered a problem. When working on a photo I am given the option 'Save a Copy' Previously this takes me to a page where I have to find the actual folder for the pictures I'm working on and then I'm given a slot...
  6. Microsoft store and other programs not working

Microsoft store and other programs not working: I own an hp laptop 15. Its Its running smoothly but after the latest update, not only can I use the Microsoft store but also other programs. Ive tried everything. Ive also used a new user which did not work. Please give me suggestions...
  7. Microsoft word program stopped working

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft word program stopped working: I have Microsoft word program I purchased in sept 13 2015 and this word program has stopped working. I can not open any of my saved work program. can you help my order # 10927332270. my email is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***om Thanks, vasanti...
  8. microsoft programs won't work after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    microsoft programs won't work after update: After the 11/29/18 update, all of my microsoft programs and apps won't open or freeze. I've tried deleting and reinstalling, troubleshooting, everything. Recovery doesn't help, because it deleted earlier recovery points. Help!...
  9. Programs not working

Programs not working: My laptop has been running fine, but last night has stopped opening some programs, control panel will open but programs and features won't, google chrome won't open. I have deleted it and re installed it but still get the same message. I have run a full scan but nothing shows...
  10. Programs not working

Programs not working: So today when I started my PC I couldn't open any programs. Some I can open but imidiately freeze or have a blank screen. I tried everything, running ccleaner, antivirus, I put my PC into safe mode. Nothing works, I can't open any programs at all. I can't even open...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. all microsoft programs not working

2. microsoft programs not working

3. code: 0x000001f4