Windows 10: Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 RS

Discus and support Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 RS in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 Redstone New policy integrated into the latest preview build [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, May 27, 2016.

1. Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 RS

Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 Redstone
    New policy integrated into the latest preview build

Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 RS [​IMG]

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/micro...medium=twitter

Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 RS [​IMG]
    Tip https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

:)

Cluster Head, May 27, 2016
  2. caveljan Win User

Extend NTFS 260 characters filename path limit

Hello,

I am trying to use the Windows 10 feature promoted
    here
    and
    here
    to extend the filename path limit beyond 260 characters (enable long paths in gpedit.msc, add LongPathsEnabled registry in regedit), but even if I follow the instructions to the letter, the limit still won't be removed.

Has anyone met this behaviour? What can I do to remove the limit?

I am using Windows 10 Pro, Version 1607.

caveljan, May 27, 2016
  3. Windows 10 file history will not backup files located on an external drive

The text shown above against the blue background is 260 characters long. It appears that you put your information into the path + file name. You might want to change your appraoch and store your data inside your files instead, if only because the limitation
    is unlikely to be removed anytime soon.

Frederik Long, May 27, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 RS

Bet they miss a few places the change needs to be applied *Smile

Ztruker, May 27, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    Also, this doesn't necessarily automatically make 3rd party software compatible. Some software may do their own checking and fail even though the OS may accept it.

Mystere, May 28, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 28, 2016
  7. This was one of the requests/suggestions that I joined the "petition" for (on windows.uservoice.com).

I missed this story when it was published (in May). *Redface

Has anyone tried this?
    Has anyone noticed any issues?

lehnerus2000, Jul 31, 2016
  8. Mystere Win User

You should be aware that any well written legacy apps will likely still complain about long paths, since they are likely checking the path length themselves. And until they are fixed, probably won't allow them.

Also, of course FAT32 LFN's will still be limited.

Mystere, Jul 31, 2016
  9. dmex Win User
    FYI this setting doesn't do what you guys think it does...

Applications need to have <longPathAware>true</longPathAware> in their app.manifest before it's able to take advantage of this setting and at present there are no apps that have done this - other than Windows Store apps.

E.g. Explorer and every other last application will still have a 260 character limit even after you enable the setting.

You will need to force older applications to use this setting by enabling an option to force windows to load external manifests from the application folder overriding the manifest that's compiled into the executable:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide
    3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4. Type PreferExternalManifest, and then press ENTER.
    5. Right-click PreferExternalManifest, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, click Decimal under Base.
    7. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    8. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
    9. Reboot.

Then in the application folder:
    1. In the same folder as the executable, create a file with the same name: photoshop.exe.manifest or notepad.exe.manifest etc...
    2. Paste the following XML: Long Path Aware sample manifest · GitHub
    3. Save and exit the file.
    4. Try running the application.

The problem with overriding the manifest that's been compiled into the executable is that you might omit critical dependencies or other configuration that the application requires from its internal manifest... You might need to use a PE editor to find the manifest inside the executable, copy the XML into the external.exe.manifest that you created then add <longPathAware>true</longPathAware> instead before it'll work properly...

10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi folks

Thanks for the info -- the only applications I need for these long file names are PLEX media server, Logitech media server and Bose Sound Touch -- all of which can handle these. VLC should also but as this is a server I doubt if I will be using it as a local desktop computer --the idea in any case is to run it headless.

If the fix works for those apps I'll be happy.

I'll mess around in a VM first though -- losing 16 / 17 TB of data won't be much fun !!!!!! I do have backups but I don't want to spend a week restoring / rebuilding. !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 31, 2016
  11. pyramid10 Win User
    Will the Command Box continue to display the long filenames in truncated-8-letters-long form?

If the OS retains the two sets of filenames, then all this is, is cosmetics.

pyramid10, Jul 31, 2016
  12. It would be nice if a "Warning" option (logging or otherwise notifying when a previously too long name is created) were available with this feature, but I suspect that's too much to wish for.

The only time I've run into the length limitation has been when copying files from a directory with a short path name to a directory with a long path name. It would be worth knowing that the copy to target directory was complete but that some programs may not be able to read that directory.

pokeefe0001, Aug 1, 2016
  13. swarfega Win User

So is this a good thing because the restriction has been remove? Are we now unlimited?

swarfega, Aug 1, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 1, 2016
  15. swarfega Win User
    Only time I'd need it I guess would be for music files.

swarfega, Aug 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 RS - Similar Threads - Microsoft Removes 260

2. File share Maximum Path Length Limitation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File share Maximum Path Length Limitation: Dear Expert, Our company has some issue that the share drive's path more than 256 characters. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=cmd as I check, it can extend the limitation on that, but I'm confused if I need to enable it...
  3. File share Maximum Path Length Limitation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File share Maximum Path Length Limitation: Dear Expert, Our company has some issue that the share drive's path more than 256 characters. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=cmd as I check, it can extend the limitation on that, but I'm confused if I need to enable it...
  4. Increase 260 Character Filename Limit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Increase 260 Character Filename Limit: Hey guys, I am currently using a dual boot setup with Windows 7 & 10 Home editions. I’ve been trying to increase the 260 character filename limit but I haven’t been successful. I’ve tried everything this person...
  5. Increase 260 Character Filename Limit

Increase 260 Character Filename Limit: Hey guys, I am currently using a dual boot setup with Windows 7 & 10 Home editions. I’ve been trying to increase the 260 character filename limit but I haven’t been successful. I’ve tried everything this person has...
  6. How to remove 260 characters limit of the Windows 10 NTFS paths?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove 260 characters limit of the Windows 10 NTFS paths?: I read the article: How to enable paths longer than 260 characters in Windows 10 it suggests two ways: A) 1. Hit the Windows key, type gpedit.msc and press Enter. 2. Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem >...
  7. Windows: 8192 character command line length limit

Windows: 8192 character command line length limit: Dear experts, do we have some news about when the current 8192 character command line length limit will be removed? Can one expect to have a Windows distribution which allows the user to set environment variables likePATH or PYTHONPATH which length can be larger than the...
  8. Windows 10 1803 - File explorer path limit 260

Windows 10 1803 - File explorer path limit 260: Hello! Would there be a way to increase the length that file explorer to display more than 260 length path. I have changed the registry to do MAX File Path, but I cannot get file explorer to let me add folders past this limit....
  9. Path length limit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Path length limit: I want to install Python. Should I disable the path length limit? Are there any negatives to doing so? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/path-length-limit/412d48cd-7ddf-435a-9935-cf51af16f8a4
  10. The display of the system environment path seems to be limited to about 260 characters in...

The display of the system environment path seems to be limited to about 260 characters in...: I wanted to add java bin paths to the Path variable. I used the Environment Variables edit window to add the first path. Clicked on OK. Then checked it by using the lower corner window tab to increase the width of the Environment Variables edit window. It showed that the...