Windows 10: Microsoft Safety Scanner, normal to show infected files, when finished says it detected 0?

Discus and support Microsoft Safety Scanner, normal to show infected files, when finished says it detected 0? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631 Other OS Description Microsoft Corporation System Type x64-based Default string... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Connor Clay, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Microsoft Safety Scanner, normal to show infected files, when finished says it detected 0?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631 Other OS Description Microsoft Corporation System Type x64-based Default string Processor 12th Gen IntelR CoreTM i9-12900KF, 3200 Mhz, 16 Cores, 24 Logical Processors e UEFI Platform Role Desktop Secure Boot State On Windows Directory C:\Windows System Directory C:\Windows\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3 Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22621.2506" Installed Physical Memory RAM 128 GB Total Physical Memory 128 GB Available Physical Memory 93.0 GB Total Virtual Memory 136 GB Available Virtual Memor

:)

Connor Clay, Apr 22, 2024
  2. Rob Koch Win User

microsoft safety scanner showing same files infected

If you're seeing these 15 infected files only during the scanning process listed next to the line titled 'Files infected', then that's a well-known situation that confuses many who don't understand how this, or any other Microsoft malware scanner truly operates.

During the scan itself, the Safety Scanner displays this Files infected counter that includes all of the individual fragments of potential malware it has detected using the signatures contained within the downloaded file. However, once the scanning portion has reached roughly 95% completed (per the progress bar), the scanning tool (and most other Microsoft scanners like Defender) perform a 'phone home' request using a cloud service also known as MAPS (Microsoft Active Protection Service).

What this MAPS request does for the Safety Scanner is allows it to not only verify that the items detected aren't actually a false positive detection, but also that the remediation (fix) for these particular items hasn't been updated or changed, as well as that the combination of items are truly 'active' malware and not simply leftover fragments of an already 'dead' or failed malware attack, which commonly occurs for example when a website file download is either aborted or fails to truly operate due to protections like SmartScreen filter or others built into either the Edge browser or Windows itself.

Once the MAPS process is complete, the reporting and any remediation instructions or other items required for the Safety Scanner to finish its process are returned to the client via the cloud and performed locally, at which point the Safety Scanner UI displays a final reporting of whether any truly active malware was detected and/or removed, which in many cases results in 0 (no) active items having been found.

If this no active malware infections result is what you're seeing, that's totally appropriate, since as the above description shows, the initial detections of 15 'Infected files' is only preliminary, so it's this final determination by MAPS that truly matters.

Rob

Rob Koch, Apr 22, 2024
  3. Microsoft Safety Scanner > Files Infected count

There's a bit of a UX problem with the scanner. As it is running it may encounter files that are suspected of being infected but indicate a count as: "Files Infected: XX"

This suggests the files are infected and apparently no list of these potentially infected files are provided.

1. Change the label to "Possible Infected Files"
    2. Write to the msert log the list of possibly infected files for further review/action.
    I say this as I let the tool run for over 3 hours, racking up over 20 "Files Infected". My computer was disconnected from the Internet during the scan. So I was surprised that the files in question were somehow "cleared" despite a lack of Internet connection.

From the log:

Results Summary:

----------------

No infection found.

Failed to submit MAPS report: 0x80072EE7

Failed to submit clean hearbeat MAPS report: 0x80072EE7

Microsoft Safety Scanner Finished On Sun Apr 30 13:20:56 2023

If the suspected files couldn't be submitted, then how were they cleared? Which files were suspected?

I appreciate the tool just cannot trust the results.

JasonNeiman, Apr 22, 2024
  4. David-M. Win User

Microsoft Safety Scanner, normal to show infected files, when finished says it detected 0?

Microsoft Safety Scanner (64-bit) scanning showing 164 infected files however final scan results says 0 detected

Hi. I'm David, and I'm happy to help you.

Microsoft Safety Scanner may report that it found threats before the end of the scan and show no detection at the end. What happens is that it finds possible infections, but at the end of the scan, it does a full check on these items, and it may find that there is no infection.

This is normal behavior for Microsoft Safety Scanner.

Therefore, if at the end of the scan, no threats were reported, nothing was found by Microsoft Safety Scanner.

Feel free to ask back any questions.

David-M., Apr 22, 2024
Thema:

Microsoft Safety Scanner, normal to show infected files, when finished says it detected 0?

1. Microsoft Safety Scanner, normal to show infected files, when finished says it detected 0? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Safety Scanner

2. Microsoft Safety Scanner, normal to show infected files, when finished says it detected 0?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Safety Scanner, normal to show infected files, when finished says it detected 0?: OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631 Other OS Description Microsoft Corporation System Type x64-based Default string Processor 12th Gen IntelR CoreTM i9-12900KF, 3200 Mhz, 16 Cores, 24 Logical Processors e UEFI Platform Role Desktop Secure Boot...
  3. microsoft safety scanner showing same files infected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft safety scanner showing same files infected: Microsoft safety scanner keeps showing same 15 files infected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-safety-scanner-showing-same-files/477fb2f8-e871-4ea4-9ef9-e691a44e0ced
  4. microsoft safety scanner showing same files infected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    microsoft safety scanner showing same files infected: Microsoft safety scanner keeps showing same 15 files infected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-safety-scanner-showing-same-files/477fb2f8-e871-4ea4-9ef9-e691a44e0ced
  5. Microsoft Safety Scanner > Files Infected count

Microsoft Safety Scanner > Files Infected count: There's a bit of a UX problem with the scanner. As it is running it may encounter files that are suspected of being infected but indicate a count as: "Files Infected: XX"This suggests the files are infected and apparently no list of these potentially infected files are...
  6. Microsoft safety scanner shoes infected files when running, but finishes showing none

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft safety scanner shoes infected files when running, but finishes showing none: Yesterday I was running Microsoft Safety Scanner. While it was running, it was counting up a few infected files. When it finished, it said that there were no infected files. I ran it again, and while running, it again counted some infected files, but at the end, it again said...
  7. Microsoft safety scanner 1.355.787.0 infected files

Microsoft safety scanner 1.355.787.0 infected files: When running a safety scan I found 2 infected files the scan said everything is clean but they are still there. These have me extremely paranoid, should I just wipe the full drive and reinstall windows?! I am unsure if it's doing any harm and this is the only scanner that...
  8. Microsoft safety scanner 1.355.787.0 infected files

Microsoft safety scanner 1.355.787.0 infected files: When running a safety scan I found 2 infected files the scan said everything is clean but they are still there. These have me extremely paranoid, should I just wipe the full drive and reinstall windows?! I am unsure if it's doing any harm and this is the only scanner that...
  9. Microsoft Safety Scanner showing infected files but does not remove any infected files.

Microsoft Safety Scanner showing infected files but does not remove any infected files.: Hello Microsoft Community, Can someone please help. When I run Microsoft Safety Scanner 1.335.1154.0 it finds 50 items, and shows as infected. However at the long scan it ends with 0 files are found and none are repaired. Is there something wrong? I ran it again and it...
  10. Microsoft Safety Scanner reporting files infected

Microsoft Safety Scanner reporting files infected: When I run the scan latest version, it reports 5 infected files but on completion the report states no virus found. Any known reason why this occurs?...