Windows 10: Microsoft Scraps Windows 8 Major Updates. Bets The Farm On Windows 9

Discus and support Microsoft Scraps Windows 8 Major Updates. Bets The Farm On Windows 9 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; It’s official, Windows 8 is a write-off . Sales for the operating system have been poor and now it is even starting to lose market share to Windows 7.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by PaulGo, Aug 7, 2014.

1. PaulGo Win User

Microsoft Scraps Windows 8 Major Updates. Bets The Farm On Windows 9

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...ows-8-updates/

:)

PaulGo, Aug 7, 2014

2. Windows Store app asking for user security data

You are not alone. I have been seeing this off an on for several weeks as well.. And not always the same IP which is requesting the information.. Several times when I have seen this, Windows Defender Scan has picked it up and taken care of it, but not
    the majority of the time.. I believe it to be malware, but wouldn't bet the farm on it..

CurtWiebusch, Aug 7, 2014
  3. Can`t open Settings after last update

This response from Microsoft is totally unacceptable. They should issue a fix not tell people to perform a HARD RESET that destroys all of their data! Microsoft, ask yourselves, would you expect a major customer like Boeing to wipe their Windows Server
    farms back to factory settings? Destroy all their customer records, ledgers, documents, Dreamliner designs...

Why is Microsoft treating W10M customers like this?

Mike Oxalis, Aug 7, 2014
  4. echrada Win User

That is going to be quite a shock to a lot of people. But I am happy that there (hopefully) won't be any more fiddling with Windows 8.1. Lets hope that Windows 9 Beta will be here shortly.

echrada, Aug 7, 2014
  5. LittleJay Win User
    Hopefully MS will offer either a free, or at least a cheap promotional upgrade, to W9 for those of us who have been using W8.

LittleJay, Aug 8, 2014
  6. Trust_No1 Win User
    What is pathetic is that Microsoft could have avoided all of this. They should have never tried to kill off the desktop, they should have embraced it and added Metro as an enhancement. It would have been a sure fire hit.

They really do have tunnel vision.

Trust_No1, Aug 8, 2014
  7. PaulGo Win User
    And the tunnel vision was called Steve Ballmer.

Microsoft Scraps Windows 8 Major Updates. Bets The Farm On Windows 9 [​IMG]

PaulGo, Aug 8, 2014
  8. townsbg Win User

I bet that it's a great OS under the covers but I can't get past the UI. Most users don't care about anything but the interface. It's probably really great for tablet pcs but it is terrible for desktops. Sorry M$ but not everyone wants your Surface PC. Sadly I bet that they designed it for the Surface but assumed that it would work everywhere. Here's hoping that they add the desktop and old start menu back. Dare I say that it is their biggest flop since ME?

Ironically I was happy with Vista so I was going to skip 7 but I couldn't pass up the 7 pre-order sale.

townsbg, Aug 8, 2014
  9. echrada Win User
    I still think that it is a great OS. My thoughts on it in the beginning was not very flattering, but since I started using it full time I am very happy with 8.1. It reminds me of the nonsense with Vista - the press and rumours killed it, there was nothing wrong with Vista after SP1. Windows 7 was the messiah. Now it is a repeat of history. If Windows 9 does not conform it will go the same way.

echrada, Aug 8, 2014
  10. davehc Win User
    I guess it is a question of how it is used, and personal preference. I am OK with Windows 8.
    No criticism intended, but, since day 1, I have been bemused by comments such as "

"They should have never tried to kill off the desktop, and
    It's probably really great for tablet pcs but it is terrible for desktops."

The first. Did they?
    The second. Which part is terrible?

I do use the Metro start menu, but, in Desktop mode, what do users find, that makes the OS "terrible". It is still there, fully functional, so if it was killed, it is taking a while to really die.

davehc, Aug 8, 2014
  11. I didn't like 8.0. Now that Microsoft have fixed some of the issues I had, I do like and use 8.1 on all my PC's now. Two laptops and two desktop. I find the Start Screen easier to use than the Start menu.

alphanumeric, Aug 8, 2014
  12. Trust_No1 Win User
    Perhaps you dozed off during your bemusement.

If you look back, the answer was yes on killing off the desktop, it was why they had removed the Start menu, Aero and many other W7 options. It was told that they wanted all progressions to move towards Metro, with store apps and cloud computing as the enhancement, oh, and of course Bing. It was only the community backlash and rejection, Balmer's leaving, Microsoft stockholder lawsuits, and utter failure of Windows 8, that has changed their dynamics.

As I stated in my original post, "...it all could have been avoided".

Trust_No1, Aug 9, 2014
  13. davehc Win User

Sorry. Missed something there? Look back where?

I was quoting what I read in your post. As I implied, no criticism was implied at that point.
    But, with my quote, if you feel they did "try to kill off the desktop", and if other potential users saw windows 8 like that, then, of course, it would account , in part at least, for the "utter failure " of Windows.
    I do read this in the link:
    "Desktop users can now live almost entirely in the desktop interface if they so wish, the merger of desktop and Windows 8 apps is well underway, it is increasingly friendly to touch, mouse and keyboard interaction and is arguably the fastest and most stable version of Windows to date."
    My own opinion is that MSs mistake was to send the early Beta out to the public for comment. Unfortunately, in this case, pundits condemned it before working through its options. Those pundits were then rhetorically echoed on forums such as these.
    There were, at the same time, some accomplished users who did quickly examine the possibilities and, as you will find on these pages, were, and are still, very happy with Windows 8.
    The same problem could occur with the early public release of Windows 9 (or whatever it may be eventually called!)

As for the start menu. Well, if you look in to the Windows 7 forums, you will find scores of posts regarding the installation of the Classic menu. I have, from word go, always installed third party programs which I felt suited me better than those which were built in. It doesn't, therefore, hurt me to install a third party start menu, if I felt the need.
    You do not need to use Bing, or the Apps, or, for that matter, the cloud. All are offered as first choice in the original installation, the second choice is yours.
    If I had been the MS programmer for any of those products, I would most certainly have put them up as the first choice.
    Can't comment on Aero as I have never used it.
    Not sure about the "many" other Windows 7 options they dropped?

davehc, Aug 9, 2014
  14. LEE
    Lee Win User
  15. Ztruker Win User
    As far back as OS/2 (when IBM and MS were working together (sort of)), updates were meant to repair existing code, not release new features.

Service Packs were the new feature path between OS new releases. 8.1 Update 1 was really a service pack in disguise.

Now MS is redefining that concept and I'm not sure it's a good idea. The test effort for a service pack release was a lot more than is currently being done for updates.

Ah well, exciting times ahead *Smile

Ztruker, Aug 10, 2014
Thema:

1. Microsoft Scraps Windows 8 Major Updates. Bets The Farm On Windows 9 - Similar Threads - Microsoft Scraps Major

2. Errors after the Update on 8-9-2022

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Errors after the Update on 8-9-2022: I have no task bar, and the window tab +I opens sometimes but then shuts down, and if it does open it does not display anything. No way to do settings adjustments. Bottom corner states windows security Actions recomended, but when I click nothing happens. Checked and system...
  3. Errors after the Update on 8-9-2022

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Errors after the Update on 8-9-2022: I have no task bar, and the window tab +I opens sometimes but then shuts down, and if it does open it does not display anything. No way to do settings adjustments. Bottom corner states windows security Actions recomended, but when I click nothing happens. Checked and system...
  4. Windows 10 update on or about July 8-9, 2021

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update on or about July 8-9, 2021: Since installing the update, I can no longer open my Windows Setttings application. When attempted, I get prompted to refresh my system. Clicking on the provided link brings up a systemreset.exe - Bad image error message stating:C:\\Windows\system32\FVEAPI.dll is either not...
  5. 9/8/20 update causing incorrect password for windows

9/8/20 update causing incorrect password for windows: New update of 9/8/20 causes my laptop to not allow me to log into windows password incorrect. I restored to before update and was fine, it updated automatically again 9/11/20 overnight and I had the same issue. I removed 'last quality update' instead of restore, and I'm fine...
  6. Major Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Major Windows Updates: My PC uses Windows 10/1903, AV = Avast, Firewall = ZoneAlarm Lengthy updates - Cumulative and Feature etc. which take a very long time to complete. Is it safer to turn off the AV and Firewall before installing the update ? Or is it OK to leave them on. 142322
  7. Windows update 8/9/19

Windows update 8/9/19: I had the Windows update yesterday.It said it would take a while and it did..over an hour. When my laptop restarted everything was gone. It was like I had a new laptop Googled how to revert back to the previous version..thankfully it worked Any idea how to do this update...
  8. BSOD Win10home update 9/8/18

BSOD Win10home update 9/8/18: Old ASUS Notebook U50F (Win7 upgraded with Win10home when it first came out) but has not been turned on/used in last 5 months, updated with Win10home 1803 auto installed 9/8/2018 OS build 17134.254. Updated some other software (CCleaner, OpenOffice,) ran fine for one day....
  9. No updates since 9/8

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No updates since 9/8: Hi all... I'm perplexed. My Win 10 system shows the last update that was applied to it was on 9/8. It is now 9/21 and I find it had to believe that MS has not released any updates since 9/8. If I "check for updates" I am told that my system is up to date. Does anyone know...
  10. Windows 9 Will Be Free for Windows 8 Users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Will Be Free for Windows 8 Users: Microsoft Indonesia confirms a free license for Windows 9 Windows 9 preview is almost here, as Microsoft will unveil the first public build of the upcoming operating system in just a few days, but we have already heard quite a lot of details about this product thanks to...