Windows 10: Microsoft set to announce bash on Linux running on Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft set to announce bash on Linux running on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft’s Build 2016 developer conference starts tomorrow, March 30, 2016, and some details on Build events are already starting to leak out on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by hTconeM9user, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Microsoft set to announce bash on Linux running on Windows 10

Read more at source
    Microsoft set to announce bash on Linux running on Windows 10

:)

hTconeM9user, Mar 28, 2016

2. Windows Subsystem for Linux not available on build 14316

Run native Bash on Ubuntu on Windows: In this build, you can natively run Bash in Windows as announced last week at Build 2016. To do this, you first need to turn on Developer Mode via Settings > Update & security > For developers. Then
    search for “Windows Features” and choose “Turn Windows features on or off” and enable Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta).
    To get Bash installed, open Command Prompt and type “bash”. For more details,

see this blog post

Microsoft set to announce bash on Linux running on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Andre Da Costa, Mar 28, 2016
  3. How do I set-up an Apache, MySQL, PHPMyAdmin and PHP on Windows 10 running Bash?

Step 1:

Run native Bash on Ubuntu on Windows: In this build, you can natively run Bash in Windows as announced last week at Build 2016. To do this, you first need to turn on Developer Mode via Settings > Update & security > For developers. Then
    search for “Windows Features” and choose “Turn Windows features on or off” and enable Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta). To get Bash installed, open Command Prompt and type “bash”. For more details,

see this blog post

Microsoft set to announce bash on Linux running on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Step 2:

Type sudo apt-get install mysql-server

Andre Da Costa, Mar 28, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

I would be more than happy if Windows adopted the Linux model.

swarfega, Mar 29, 2016
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    No thanks.. if I want anything from Linux I would use Linux.

Not my cup of tea.

BunnyJ, Mar 29, 2016
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Really, really. . .*really

7. BunnyJ New Member
    Yup.. adopting anything that Linux does would turn me off to windows. Fast..

BunnyJ, Mar 29, 2016
  8. Microsoft set to announce bash on Linux running on Windows 10

Like Virtual Desktops?

lehnerus2000, Mar 29, 2016
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    I don't use virtual desktops.. and I would bet that the vast majority of users don't either. What I took the comment that I replied to as Windows would adopt more features that Linux uses and I don't like that concept at all. As for the topic in the OP I really don't see the need. Just how many Windows users are going to need Bash Scripting??

BunnyJ, Mar 29, 2016
  10. Agreed.

The only people who are likely to benefit are Linux users who need to do some BASH/Command Prompt style scripting on a Windows PC.

lehnerus2000, Mar 29, 2016
  11. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Don't even know what Bash is. . .*Smile

12. I don't either also don't like Linux

hTconeM9user, Mar 29, 2016
  13. BunnyJ New Member

BunnyJ, Mar 29, 2016
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    Bash is basically a scripting tool in Unix/Linux where the user types commands that cause actions. Bash can also read commands from a file, called a script.

Sort of like Windows command line interface.

BunnyJ, Mar 29, 2016
  15. Bourne Again Shell (adapted from the Unix Bourne Shell). So many different command processors they have ...lol.
    I dunno if I'd criticize the xNix model though. Just curious BunnyJ, what is it that you don't like about it? I will admit that its windowing system is lacklustre from a performance point of view (though again it was designed to be used with graphic terminals). But the innards of the OS are very flexible and portable to lots of different platforms.

Just curious. I do like the Windows model as is though. I really don't experience day to day problems with it to be honest.

Jody Thornton, Mar 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Microsoft set to announce bash on Linux running on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft set announce

2. Wsl kali linux bash error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wsl kali linux bash error: i installed the kali linux using microsoft store and wsl and did everything how I am supposed to but i get this errorWslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80004005 Error: 0x80004005 Unspecified error...
  3. Wsl kali linux bash error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wsl kali linux bash error: i installed the kali linux using microsoft store and wsl and did everything how I am supposed to but i get this errorWslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80004005 Error: 0x80004005 Unspecified error...
  4. Running LINUX on Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Running LINUX on Win 10: I am trying to find a way to run LINUX on my Win 10 laptop - only within Win 10 itself Rather than dual booting ..... using another partition - but have forgotten the name of the software I believe that there is third party freeware to allow this ?...
  5. Windows Subsystem for Linux and Windows OpenSSH server - bash shell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Subsystem for Linux and Windows OpenSSH server - bash shell: So, I'm running Ubuntu on WSL and it APPEARS to be installed OK, I can run it and have added a local administrative user; but, when I connect via the Windows 10 OpenSSH server and try to run bash, I get this: foglight@N7QNM-RADIO C:\Users\foglight.N7QNM-RADIO>bash Windows...
  6. Microsoft announces new Secured-core PCs running Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft announces new Secured-core PCs running Windows 10: Recent developments in security research and real-world attacks demonstrate that as more protections are proactively built into the OS and in connected services, attackers are looking for other avenues of exploitation with firmware emerging as a top target. In the last three...
  7. Installing and Running BASH on Windows 10 (Build 14316)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing and Running BASH on Windows 10 (Build 14316): So I went ahead and installed BASH to see if it will be of any use to me as as Linux and Raspberry Pi enthusiast. It's very easy. First, make sure that "Developer Mode" is enabled under Settings>>>Update & Security>>>For Developers [img] Then go to Turn...
  8. Windows 10 linux subsystem: Run Linux desktop directly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 linux subsystem: Run Linux desktop directly?: I watched a video about the guy using Windows subsystem and run full Linux desktop without using remote software. There is no white thing on top. He can switch between Linux and Windows using a keyboard shortcut. Linux desktop is smooth, 60 fps, no lag so it means he don't...
  9. Microsoft announcing Windows 10 Bug Bash Privacy Edition

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft announcing Windows 10 Bug Bash Privacy Edition: Hello, Windows Insiders! We’re announcing the Bug Bash Privacy Edition, which officially kicks off today and runs from March 7th - 11:59 PM PST on March 16th . Marisa Rogers (WDG Privacy Officer) published an article in her blog this week that focuses on the new...
  10. Here's how Microsoft will support Bash on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Here's how Microsoft will support Bash on Windows 10: Microsoft is building support for the Linux Bash utilities into Windows 10 with a little help from Canonical. Here's what's happening under the covers to enable this. The rumors before the start of Microsoft's Build 2016 developer conference were true: Microsoft is going...