Windows 10: Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service - high CPU usage

Discus and support Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service - high CPU usage in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, My laptop has Windows 10 64 bit installed. It's an AMD A8 with a Radeon graphics card. Task Manager shows Microsoft Software Protection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sartorius, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Sartorius Win User

Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service - high CPU usage

Hello,

My laptop has Windows 10 64 bit installed. It's an AMD A8 with a Radeon graphics card.

Task Manager shows Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service uses about %30 CPU. It happens about every 40-60 seconds,lasts for about 10. This started relatively recently (not after any upgrades/updates)

I followed the instructions written here to no avail: Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service - Microsoft Community

Scans (Windows defender, malwarebytes and Microsoft Safety Scanner) said the computer is clean. The problem does not happen in Safe Mode, but does happen after a clean boot. Currently have no office programs installed (will have them soon though). Winodws updates are most recent.

Apparently you can disable the service via regedit and the problem goes away, but it then causes another problem: I then have a "Windows is not activated" showing on my screen at all times. Regardless I would rather solve this by some other means if possible.

Appreciate any help.

:)

Sartorius, Aug 19, 2017
  2. jp2code Win User

Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service

I just finished a complete virus can using Windows Defender.

I started the complete scan because Microsoft Software Protection Platform was already running high (I am averaging 40% or higher).

Since Microsoft Software Protection Platform was already taking up such a chunk (and its Antimalware Service Executable is taking another 30% to 40%), it took Windows Defender 2 full days to complete. During this time, my PC was next to useless.

Windows Defender completed about 4 hours ago, and both Microsoft Software Protection Platform and it's buddy Antimalware Service Executable are still each taking 30% to 40% of the CPU usage.

What is going on? Should this eventually stop or do I need to look into ways to stop these processes from crippling my system?

jp2code, Aug 19, 2017
  3. Software Protection Platform Service & Antimalware Service Executable CPU Usage

Thank you ErwinJames for the response but I have to ask: Did you actually read my post?

I stated quite clearly that I have done a Clean Install of Windows, updated through Microsoft, scanned with Defender, did a Clean Boot and scanned with Defender again... there are no third party programs running! Only Windows 10 and whatever it decides to
    install/run on its own.

No user accounts are corrupted, no websites were contacted, nothing else installed... that screenshot of mine is from a freshly installed/updated version of Windows 10!

Also, as I stated several times, I have gone through all the old posts from Microsoft about this and have methodically tried every solution (well, "work-around" is more accurate) that was offered. Creating a new User Account was one of those, as was the
    Task Scheduler "solution".

I DID install Avast! Premier Antivirus and thankfully shutdown my Windows Defender, so the hated Antimalware Service Executable is no longer an issue.

However, even as I type this to you, the Software Protection Platform Service is happily eating up 37% of my CPU and not a thing is running but Windows and this fresh install of Chrome (no add-ons and downloaded from
    the official site).

Again, thank you for the reply but it is simply another in a long line of do-nothing attempts at a work-around

Just fix it! Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service - high CPU usage :)

Citruslounge, Aug 19, 2017
Thema:

Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service - high CPU usage

1. Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service - high CPU usage - Similar Threads - Microsoft Software Protection

2. Microsoft software protection high CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft software protection high CPU usage: This service uses lots of cpu at computer boot and at random times. Is there any way to reduce it? Its literally uses %45 suddenly and my computer hardware heats everytime which is not good for lifespan. Can I disable it from services.msc?I also noticed Windows Explorer...
  3. Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service or sppsvc.exe using alot of cpu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service or sppsvc.exe using alot of cpu: it is using around 30% of my cpu and the power usage is at very high, is it safe to disable this service considering i have another antivirus software? submitted by /u/ch0ppu [link] [comments]...
  4. Microsoft Software Protection Platform high CPU problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Software Protection Platform high CPU problem: So this happened just recently, this program named "Microsoft Software Protection Platform" uses up a ton of CPU for no reason at all, and keep in mind, I searched for alot of help, like deleting KMS-K@1n from my laptop, updating windows 10, etc It still hasn't resolved the...
  5. Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service: Hello everyone. First post Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service launches only when gaming... My PC is suitable for old games or modern games with low settings to get the maximum performance. When launching games from Steam, Uplay the Microsoft Software Protection...
  6. Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service high CPU usage

Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service high CPU usage: Sppsvc.exe, uses too much cpu 50-74% after installing updates around 7 months ago. This happens in very frequent bursts that will last for about 20mins and will severely slow down my pc, often even causing other apps to freeze. I have tried everything by reading your latest...
  7. Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service high CPU usage

Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service high CPU usage: Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service, Sppsvc.exe, uses too much cpu, often going up to above 14-20%. This happens in very 2 min I tried Checked that my system is fully updated -Scanned for malware -Used system maintenance troubleshooter -Run a clean boot...
  8. microsoft software protection platform service high cpu

microsoft software protection platform service high cpu: every one or two minutes Microsoft software protection platform service uses high cpu for about 10 or 20 sec then stops then repeat this cycle again and again i restarted the windows into safe mode and this problem disappeared i have latest windows update update...
  9. Software Protection Platform Service Sppsvc.exe causing High CPU usage

in Windows 10 News
    Software Protection Platform Service Sppsvc.exe causing High CPU usage: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft Software Protection Platform allows the company to validate Microsoft services, and make sure nobody tampers with Windows or any Microsoft software including Office, OneDrive and so on. The process which does this job on Windows 10 is Sppsvc.exe. It...
  10. Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service high CPU usage

Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service high CPU usage: Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service, Sppsvc.exe, uses too much cpu, often going up to above 50-55%. This happens in very frequent bursts that will last for about 20mins and will severely slow down my pc, often even causing other apps to freeze. I have windows10,...