Windows 10: Microsoft Still Not Willing to Offer Windows 10 for Free to Pirates

Discus and support Microsoft Still Not Willing to Offer Windows 10 for Free to Pirates in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft Still Not Willing to Offer Windows 10 for Free to Pirates - Softpedia Yeah, that's much better. Thanks. Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, Oct 31, 2015.

1. sygnus21 Win User

Microsoft Still Not Willing to Offer Windows 10 for Free to Pirates

sygnus21, Nov 1, 2015
  2. spapakons Win User

I have read that Microsoft deliberately leaked copies of Windows 98 to spread them in most computers. Maybe they do the same now with Windows 10 by letting the upgrade to pirated copies as well. They cannot tell if an installation is legitimate or pirated, anyway. But if most computer users use Windows they also depend on other Microsoft products and this is profit.

As for Linux, it is not the easier OS to use, especially when trying to install or configure things. An average user would try it a few hours and then would format and reinstall Windows. It is not desirable to Google every five minutes just to do a simple thing! Nor it is desirable to always go at the terminal for everything! If they made it more user friendly (by user I mean average user, not geeks!) then it could have a larger share in OS usage. But not quite yet.

spapakons, Nov 1, 2015
  3. sygnus21 Win User
    Yeah there are instances where one feels compelled to do things, but blatant pirating is still illegal. That said, when I first got into PC's in the late 90's I didn't know anyone who had legit copies of anything... including me. In fact we used to have s store in our area called Digital Concepts where you could "rent" software for 3 days. I gladly paid my membership fee and joined the club. This guy had everything from Microsoft to Adobe to Corel, Extensis, etc. Oh, and the games! Any game you wanted he had.

Anyway as I got further into PC's I realized that security and support became a feature I couldn't do without and started purchasing my own software starting with the OS. That even though I could get stuff for free, I decided it was better to have the support and security that came with legitimate copies, and I haven't looked back since then.

So been there, done that; but still... I can't fault MS, or anyone else for not supporting pirated stuff.

Sorry.

sygnus21, Nov 1, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Larger share?? Serious?? How much bigger can their share get??

BunnyJ, Nov 1, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    I was talking about Linux, not Windows. If they were more user friendly (include wizards etc like Windows) to the average user (not only geeks) then more and more would install Linux. But like it is now, most simple users avoid it! They have a difficult time using Windows, imagine how more difficult is for them to use Linux!

spapakons, Nov 1, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Sorry.. my bad. But, I find that Linux Mint to be one of the easiest to transfer to from Windows.

BunnyJ, Nov 1, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    Biggest fault I can find with Linux is the way programs are installed, if the all had proper installer it would be much easier to use. Programs and drivers too. I like Mint because it's closest thing to windows and has that classical look to it.

CountMike, Nov 1, 2015
  8. Microsoft Still Not Willing to Offer Windows 10 for Free to Pirates

My understanding was they will let pirated systems upgrade to Windows 10, just not for free. If it's non genuine before the upgrade its non genuine after and will require activation. They have to buy a Windows 10 license to keep using Windows 10. As far as I know, they never said pirated systems would get a free ride.

alphanumeric, Nov 1, 2015
  9. spapakons Win User
    Linux has long way to go before it can replace Windows. Every year is getting closer but not close enough! It has to get universal installers so installing and uninstalling applications will be easier. Yes, there is the application center, but unfortunately not every application is available at the center. You still have to manually download some from the programmer's site. It also must have wizard for installing devices. Users should never need to compile from source. After making sure is as user friendly as possible (that means do everything from GUI, not the terminal), it must improve compatibility with devices. You can pick any device you want and it will surely work in at least one Windows version. But if you have Linux you have to double-triple check compatibility before buying. This is certainly not what the average user can or is willing to do.

spapakons, Nov 1, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    That's the problem! Unless the key is blacklisted, Microsoft cannot tell if it has been activated legally or illegally. Unless of course they would come in people's house demanding to check the computer for a COA sticker or other proof of purchase. Who would allow them that? At least not without a warrant!

spapakons, Nov 1, 2015
  11. Just because you can't afford something doesn't give you the right to steal it.

alphanumeric, Nov 1, 2015
  12. No took my laptop and showed them what was doing will I upgraded theirs
    Had coffee and cakes so much did not eat my dinner when I got home

Both very happy
    Only had to update some drivers made sure everything set up and working
    So 2 satisfied customers
    Well happy I am to off been able to help them

hTconeM9user, Nov 1, 2015
  13. Microsoft Still Not Willing to Offer Windows 10 for Free to Pirates

They can detect some illegally patched systems and kill the files doing it during the upgrade. That's when you system comes up not genuine and un activated. It all depends on how your cheating activation. There is more to it than just the key being used. OEM-SLP activation is often cheated with boot loaders. Microsoft knows that and how to detect them etc. Some cheats will get detected some will slip through.

alphanumeric, Nov 2, 2015
  14. Swagger Win User
    I agree with you.
    But facts, is facts
    Microsoft don't care.
    A long as there is loop holes, people will take advantage of it
    Cheers,

Swagger, Nov 2, 2015
  15. If Microsoft didn't care, Windows Genuine Advantage would never have been implemented. And you wouldn't need product codes for install.

alphanumeric, Nov 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft Still Not Willing to Offer Windows 10 for Free to Pirates - Similar Threads - Microsoft Still Willing

2. Free subscription offered by Microsoft to corporate employees.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free subscription offered by Microsoft to corporate employees.: I had windows 10 free edition through my company and today the screen message informed me that I had been subscribed to Windows. How do I verify my free subscription?...
  3. Free subscription offered by Microsoft to corporate employees.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free subscription offered by Microsoft to corporate employees.: I had windows 10 free edition through my company and today the screen message informed me that I had been subscribed to Windows. How do I verify my free subscription?...
  4. Free subscription offered by Microsoft to corporate employees.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Still Not Offered Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Still Not Offered Windows 11: My Laptop getting a notification stating "Great news—your PC meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 11. Specific timing for when it will be offered can vary as we get it ready for you" since January but it's August and still not offered Windows 11 from Microsoft. I...
  6. Still Not Offered Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Still Not Offered Windows 11: My Laptop getting a notification stating "Great news—your PC meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 11. Specific timing for when it will be offered can vary as we get it ready for you" since January but it's August and still not offered Windows 11 from Microsoft. I...
  7. still not offered Windows 10 21h1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    still not offered Windows 10 21h1: hi there:I am still not offered Windows 10 21h1. I am in Taiwan. My work device has offered it and I installed it. Does it really take this long or should I keep waiting? I know that my device is not blocked from getting it. I was at 2004 and was offered 20h2. Is there a way...
  8. Windows 10 free upgrade offer is still valid and it’s not going away

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 free upgrade offer is still valid and it’s not going away: Microsoft officially concluded its free Windows 10 upgrade program in 2016, but you can still get a free copy of Windows 10 if you meet the requirements. You may not think you qualify for a free upgrade, but according to our testing and user reports, Windows 10 is still free...
  9. Windows 10 free upgrade offer still works for some users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 free upgrade offer still works for some users: Microsoft has ended the free upgrades to Windows 10, but users are reporting that they can still install the OS for free on a PC running a genuine license of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. According to reports, you can claim a free digital entitlement of Windows 10 and upgrade to...
  10. Windows 10 after free offer ends

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 after free offer ends: Hi my friend is unsure if he wants Windows 10 or not...he currently has XP. It has passed the Windows 8 compatability test, so will accept Windows 10. If I install Windows 7 pro as a clean install, then upgrade to Windows 10....but after the 30 days, decide to reinstall...