Windows 10: Microsoft Store and all Apps for Win 10 not opening after August 2018 updates

Discus and support Microsoft Store and all Apps for Win 10 not opening after August 2018 updates in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Microsoft Store and all Apps (Calculator, Skype, Photos, etc) will not open after the August 2018 updates were installed for Windows 10. I went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tt_955, Aug 24, 2018.

1. tt_955 Win User

Microsoft Store and all Apps for Win 10 not opening after August 2018 updates

Microsoft Store and all Apps (Calculator, Skype, Photos, etc) will not open after the August 2018 updates were installed for Windows 10.

I went through various recommendations on other threads but they did not work, and I narrowed it down to the folder permissions for WindowsApps folder. But I can't change permissions. Can someone help me?

List of things I originally tried:

1) Troubleshooter showed that User Account Control (UAC) was not enabled, so it enabled it. Re-running Troubleshooter did not show anymore problems. Apps still won't launch.

2) Ran wsreset.exe but the result is "ms-windows-storeMicrosoft Store and all Apps for Win 10 not opening after August 2018 updates :purgeCashes The app didn't start." Apps still won't launch.

3) Tried to reset Microsoft Store cache in app settings but all it does is show a checkmark. Apps still won't launch.

4) Tried to re-register Microsoft Store with powershell, using the command from other threads, but it gives an error that the file path cannot be found, or access denied.

5) So then I looked up the WindowsApps folder but I do not have access permissions. I tried changing the ownership to NT Service\TrustedInstaller, I tried this twice, once with the box checkmarked "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", and again without this checked. After both times, I still cannot open the folder and I don't have access permissions. I tried restarting the PC, and repeating this several times and still no access. Owner field shows "Unable to display current owner."

I followed the steps from here:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-windowsapps-folder-windows-10/

What else can I do to get access to the WindowsApps folder?

:)

tt_955, Aug 24, 2018

2. Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for August 2018

Release Notes
    August 2018 Security Updates
    Release Date: August 14, 2018
    The August security release consists of security updates for the following software:
    Internet Explorer
    Microsoft Edge
    Microsoft Windows
    Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office Services and Web Apps
    ChakraCore
    Adobe Flash Player
    .NET Framework
    Microsoft Exchange Server
    Microsoft SQL Server
    Visual Studio
    Please note the following information regarding the security updates:
    Windows 10 updates are cumulative. The monthly security release includes all security fixes for vulnerabilities that affect Windows 10, in addition to non-security updates. The updates are available via the Microsoft Update Catalog.
    Microsoft Update Catalog

Starting in March 2017, a delta package will be available on the Microsoft Update Catalog for Windows 10 version 1607 and newer. This delta package contains just the delta changes between the previous month and the current release.
    Updates for Windows RT 8.1 and Microsoft Office RT software are only available via Windows Update.
    For information on lifecycle and support dates for Windows 10 operating systems, please see Windows Lifecycle Facts Sheet.
    In addition to security changes for the vulnerabilities, updates include defense-in-depth updates to help improve security-related features.
    The following CVEs have FAQs with additional information and may include * further steps to take after installing the updates.
    ADV180016*
    ADV180020*
    ADV180022*
    CVE-2018-8273
    CVE-2018-8341
    CVE-2018-8348
    CVE-2018-8351
    CVE-2018-8360
    CVE-2018-8370
    CVE-2018-8378
    CVE-2018-8382
    CVE-2018-8394
    CVE-2018-8396
    CVE-2018-8398

Known Issues
    {{windowTitle}}

NICK ADSL UK, Aug 24, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. *Smile

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Aug 24, 2018
  4. Microsoft Store and all Apps for Win 10 not opening after August 2018 updates

microsoft app store

How to run apps that are downloaded from Microsoft app store on multiple PCs without downloading multiple times.

Subhash Boipai, Aug 24, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Store and all Apps for Win 10 not opening after August 2018 updates

1. Microsoft Store and all Apps for Win 10 not opening after August 2018 updates - Similar Threads - Microsoft Store Apps

2. All microsoft store apps wont open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All microsoft store apps wont open: Hey guys,Pretty much ever since ive updated to Windows 11 none of my microsoft store apps have opened, including microsoft store. Even windows security. It wasnt really an issue until i wanted to play forza and it requires me to sign into xbox, but wont let me download the...
  3. All microsoft store apps wont open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All microsoft store apps wont open: Hey guys,Pretty much ever since ive updated to Windows 11 none of my microsoft store apps have opened, including microsoft store. Even windows security. It wasnt really an issue until i wanted to play forza and it requires me to sign into xbox, but wont let me download the...
  4. all apps from the microsoft store and microsoft store itself not opening

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    all apps from the microsoft store and microsoft store itself not opening: i have this problem on 2 of my laptops and find it annoying that all apps related to the microsoft store are stuck in an update loop and i can't open the store...
  5. Microsoft store App not opening and all other Microsoft Apps not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store App not opening and all other Microsoft Apps not working: Today I am trying to open my MS Store But its not Opening , and all other Apps are not to opening ,I am trying to open , but it not Works . Please its Request to Solve my Problem, Requesting u to solve this problem Fast . THANK YOU TO, TEAM MICROSOFT...
  6. August 2018 update (1809)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    August 2018 update (1809): Hi, after trying to install an update in 3DMark I discovered that I have somehow missed the August 2018 1809 update! Windows update is telling me I am up to date, but I am currently on version 1803. I ran the update troubleshooter and it did say that it had found and...
  7. New to Microsoft 365 in August 2018

in Windows 10 News
    New to Microsoft 365 in August 2018: This month, we introduced new features and updates in Microsoft 365 that help teams streamline management of tasks, make it easier for IT admins to manage Windows 10 devices, and empower small to medium-sized businesses to grow. Keep everyone on the same page with @Mentions...
  8. Screen lagging after August 2018 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen lagging after August 2018 update: what problems are there with this August 2018 update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/screen-lagging-after-august-2018-update/3d13e16a-9f44-4167-8450-c55390e38d76
  9. August 2018 updates for Microsoft Office

in Windows 10 News
    August 2018 updates for Microsoft Office: Microsoft released the following security and nonsecurity updates for Office in August 2018. These updates are intended to help our customers keep their computers up-to-date. We recommend that you install all updates that apply to you. To download an update, click the...
  10. STORE app will no open in Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    STORE app will no open in Win 10: Hey there!!! I'm having an error stranger problem. I've been trying to download various apps such as Netflix, Pandora and Instagram and they all lead me to the same window, with the same exact error message: "something bad happened... unknown layout. Thanks. 95845