Windows 10: Microsoft Store is broken in Windows 10 and I can't fix it

Discus and support Microsoft Store is broken in Windows 10 and I can't fix it in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I was receiving an error whenever I attempted to install an application via the Microsoft Store after receiving my brand new Surface Book. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by khelvan, Jan 9, 2016.

1. khelvan Win User

Microsoft Store is broken in Windows 10 and I can't fix it

Hello, I was receiving an error whenever I attempted to install an application via the Microsoft Store after receiving my brand new Surface Book. I found a fix to my specific issue here. The relevant bits are:
    Code: As you are unable to install an app from the Windows store, I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.Method 1: Run WSReset.exe .
    • Press Windows+R key to open Run box
    • Enter wsreset.exe in the Run command and then tap or click OK.
    • Restart your computer and check.
    If resetting Windows Store cache does not help. Try the below, Method 2: Re-register Windows Store by running the following commands in a CMD window started as Administrator: Follow the below steps.
    • Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Then enter the chkdsk command
    PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest[/quote]

After running #3 in method 2 the Windows Store wouldn't even start. So based on what I was seeing I tried what was suggested at this link, relevant bits below:
    Code: Now, use the Add-AppxPackage command to reinstall the Windows Store. Use the following command:Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\<PackageFullName>" –DisableDevelopmentMode[/quote] That didn't work, and using PowerShell I discovered the following:
    Code: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 09462e3c-4b34-0002-e9a9-4609344bd101 Time ID Message ---- -- ------- 1/9/2016 17:19:04 301 The calling process is powershell.exe 1/9/2016 17:19:04 603 Started deployment Register operation on a package with main parameter: AppxManifest.xml and Options: 0. See Troubleshooting packaging, deployment, and query of Windows Store apps (Windows) for help diagnosing app deployment issues. 1/9/2016 17:19:04 10002 Creating Resiliency File C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\c3cdab2d -e25e-406f-b455-3544be3a01eb_S-1-5-21-2305095937-2236513845-535014027-1001_1.rsl c for Register Operation on Package Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe. 1/9/2016 17:19:04 607 Deployment Register operation on package Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe has been de-queued and is running for user HAASTS-EAGLE\bilek. 1/9/2016 17:19:04 613 Adding uri to the list of Uris: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsSt ore_2015.25.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml. 1/9/2016 17:19:04 561 Not staging roaming data for package Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe. The application state is already present. 1/9/2016 17:19:04 10000 About to service package Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe. Setting the package state to disabled returned with 0x0. 1/9/2016 17:19:04 827 Capability parsing started for the package Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe 1/9/2016 17:19:04 5502 Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe package because there was a merge failure with the following file: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Micros oft.WindowsStore_2015.25.15.0_neutral_split.scale-150_8wekyb3d8bbwe\resources.pr i 1/9/2016 17:19:04 303 error 0x80070003: While preparing to process the request, the system failed to register the windows.MRT extension due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. . 1/9/2016 17:19:04 300 error 0x80070003: Cannot register the Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe package due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. . 1/9/2016 17:19:04 605 The last successful state reached was ResolvedDeferredRegistrations. Failure occurred before reaching the next state RegistrationChanged. 1/9/2016 17:19:04 10001 Finished servicing package Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe. Setting the package state to enabled returned with 0x0. 1/9/2016 17:19:04 401 Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppxManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80073CF6. See Troubleshooting packaging, deployment, and query of Windows Store apps (Windows) for help diagnosing app deployment issues. 1/9/2016 17:19:04 404 AppX Deployment operation failed for package Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe with error 0x80073CF6. The specific error text for this failure is: Merge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe package because there was a merge failure with the following file: C:\Program Fi les\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.15.0_neutral_split.scale-150_8wek yb3d8bbwe\resources.pri[/quote] Any ideas on how to fix this merge error? I don't have a system restore point as the Surface Book is brand new, and I don't know how to completely uninstall and reinstall the Microsoft Store.

:)

khelvan, Jan 9, 2016
  2. GBorn Win User
    GBorn, Jan 9, 2016
  3. GBorn Win User
    GBorn, Jan 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you can (apparently- I've not tried it) remove store from current user or all users, but this is NOT RECOMMENDED
    See:
    Apps - Uninstall in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    (To remove Store app from current account only - NOT RECOMMENDED)
    *Arrow Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

(To remove Store app from all current accounts - NOT RECOMMENDED)
    Code:

Get-appxpackage -allusers | where-object {$_.packagename -like "*windowsstore*"} | remove-appxpackage
    (To remove Store app from new accounts created afterwards - NOT RECOMMENDED)
    Code:
    Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like "*windowsstore*"} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

Naturally you're welcome to try and see how far you get, but I suspect you will end up doing a (relatively painless) in place upgrade install: I've seen a number of people struggling with apparently confined defects (myself included) for which one might think there should be an easy fix, and waste a considerable amount of time doing so.

Note that typically used Powershell commands from build 10586 break things rather than fix them now. Frustrating.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

You could of course try the following well-known sequence from an elevated (admin) Command Prompt, but I suspect the answer will end up as an in-place repair install- sledgehammer approach.

SFC /scannow

To open an admin Command Prompt window
    Press Win key + X, then click ‘Command Prompt (admin).
    Then copy/paste each in turn at the prompt, press <Return> and wait for the command to complete.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    SFC /scannow

dalchina, Jan 9, 2016
  5. khelvan Win User
    Thank you for your response. Let's assume that I go with the not recommended option, and remove the Microsoft Store from all accounts.

What then would be my next step, to reinstall it?

khelvan, Jan 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I'd simply go for the in-place upgrade repair install as the most straightforward.

As I said, you can certainly try SFC /Scannow & DISM - maybe you'll be lucky.

So if you've no system restore points, and haven't yet started using disk imaging (which is VERY strongly recommended to provide both backup and the ability to restore your PC to a given state in a defined time), those would be your options unless someone who's been through a similar problem can offer a targetted solution.

dalchina, Jan 9, 2016
  7. khelvan Win User
    I don't have the installation media, unless it's on a partition on the hard drive.

khelvan, Jan 9, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

You could try this to fix the store Store - Re-register in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums - it might work. If not I'd also recommend repair install.

You can download the ISO for the repair install from here as linked to in the tutorial @dalchina quoted above in post #2

Don't uninstall the store though - you'll not be able to install it again (without doing a repair install).

9. Almighty1 Win User
    Almighty1, Jan 10, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jan 10, 2016
  11. Hopefully I have learned of a method to restore the Store app in Windows 10
    I recently came across a method suggested in a forum which has worked for me. I don't know WHY it works but it did for me, and hopefully for you, It seems to be so unlikely, and I even had a tech from Microsoft work on it, which sadly gave me no resolution to the problem. However unlikely it seems here it is:

2. Restart your computer

Result: Store app works again! Don't forget to TURN ON YOUR ANTIVIRUS AGAIN if it doesn't do so immediately.

Yes! Amazing! Will it work for you? It seems too simple for me and not understandable. BUT IT WORKED

Casillerito, Jan 23, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Which AV are you using? Thanks.

dalchina, Jan 23, 2016
  13. Microsoft Store is broken in Windows 10 and I can't fix it

Hello Dalchina,
    MY AV program is Windows 10 Defender. I reckong that any other AV program that you are using can be turned off while you try the fix which I found worked perfectly for me. I was very surprised that it did the trick, but Store has worked as it is designed to do. Why it works I don't know.*Smile
    Terry

14. dalchina New Member
    Now that is ironic.. not just weird.. you mean MS's own products aren't compatible (in this case).

dalchina, Jan 23, 2016
  15. Have you actually tried the fix that I passed on to you? It worked for me.
    Terry

Thema:

1. Microsoft Store is broken in Windows 10 and I can't fix it - Similar Threads - Microsoft Store broken

2. Microsoft store is broken, nothing fixes it, and I mean nothing.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store is broken, nothing fixes it, and I mean nothing.: Why is Microsoft store such a **** service? It works for a single day, then **** breaks for the next three months. How have you guys made another OS even if it sucks **** and have not fixed your **** store service? Everything I do does nothing.I have done the following...
  3. Microsoft store is broken, nothing fixes it, and I mean nothing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store is broken, nothing fixes it, and I mean nothing.: Why is Microsoft store such a **** service? It works for a single day, then **** breaks for the next three months. How have you guys made another OS even if it sucks **** and have not fixed your **** store service? Everything I do does nothing.I have done the following...
  4. Microsoft store is broken, nothing fixes it, and I mean nothing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 is broken. Microsoft Store Broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is broken. Microsoft Store Broken: Hello, I have recently had problems in windows 10. For starters, I had to reset my pc 2 different times. Now my Microsoft store is no longer working. It opens but when I try to download something it stops gives me code 0x80072f8f. I reinstalled the store via PowerShell, ran...
  6. Windows 10 is broken. Microsoft Store Broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 is broken. Microsoft Store Broken: Hello, I have recently had problems in windows 10. For starters, I had to reset my pc 2 different times. Now my Microsoft store is no longer working. It opens but when I try to download something it stops gives me code 0x80072f8f. I reinstalled the store via PowerShell, ran...
  7. Windows 10 is broken. Microsoft Store Broken

8. Microsoft store is BROKEN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft store is BROKEN: I have literally been updating Minecraft for 30 minutes and it hasn't even STARTED. I tried signing in and out, I tried restarting the computer, but NITHING HAS CHANGED. I AM SO SICK OF THIS AND THIS HAPPENS EVERY SINGLE TIME I HAVE TRIED TO UPDATE MINECRAFT....
  9. broken microsoft store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    broken microsoft store: hello I've run into yet another bug and I've seen something similar to this but this is obviously more sophisticated than normal install glitches when you get an app saying it's downloading something when it's really not I've already run power shell force reset cache and...
  10. Windows Store Broken - Can't Seem to Fix

Windows Store Broken - Can't Seem to Fix: Hi, I get the following error when trying to launch the Windows Store app on latest Win 10. [img] I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling using the PowerShell as admin and I also tried resetting the cache. None of this has worked... any ideas? 113143