Windows 10: Microsoft Surface Pro Hard Drive Advice

Discus and support Microsoft Surface Pro Hard Drive Advice in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; All, I need to replace the hard drive in my Surface Pro. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can order one? Any particular one that's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by craigmh74, Dec 28, 2016.

1. craigmh74 Win User

Microsoft Surface Pro Hard Drive Advice

All,

I need to replace the hard drive in my Surface Pro. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can order one? Any particular one that's high quality but not too expensive? Also, any good tutorial on how to replace one in a Surface???

Have a good day!
    Craig

:)

craigmh74, Dec 28, 2016

2. My Western Digital My Passport Ultra stopped working a while back on my Surface Pro 3 running W10 any suggestions?

This hard drive worked on my macbook pro and my Surface Pro with Windows 10 when I first got it and now Surface Pro does not show the drive anywhere. It is not in file manager, disk management, etc. It runs fine also on my mom's old laptop running Windows

dyldylsmom, Dec 28, 2016
  3. PaulOles Win User
    \\Computer is not accessible...

Thanks for this fix. Have a Surface Pro 4 in the Insider Program and installed a Linksys WRT3200ACM router with a USB3.0 Hard Drive Dock and 1.5TB hard drive. Other Win 10 PCs and devices found the hard drive and only my Surface got the error message above.
    This fix was not known by MS Support nor Linksys Support.

PaulOles, Dec 28, 2016
  4. marsmimar Win User

According to several sources it is possible to replace the SSD. The same sources say it's extremely difficult. (Apparently there's some glue holding things together that has to be melted/softened and specific Torx screwdrivers are needed.) The link shows the procedure but I'm not sure if the original Surface Pro and the later 2, 3, or 4 models follow the same steps.

Can the hard drive be replaced? - Microsoft Surface Pro - iFixit

As far as where to find a replacement SSD, any of the major companies like Kingston, Crucial, PNY, etc should be able to help. The main issue IMO would be to make sure you get the proper form factor which is mSATA. The mSATA is a 1.8 inch size whereas a traditional laptop probably uses 2.5 inches and a desktop 3.5 inches.

I think it's appropriate to quote from the last page of the above link: "Unless you perform the opening procedure 100% correctly, chances are you'll shear one of the four cables surrounding the display perimeter." If that should happen your Surface Pro effectively becomes a paperweight.

Hopefully some other members more knowledgeable than me will jump in with some additional thoughts.

marsmimar, Dec 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Microsoft Surface Pro Hard Drive Advice - Similar Threads - Microsoft Surface Pro

2. Advice on recuva and selling hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice on recuva and selling hard drive: I have just sold a laptop for a good price and had intended to replace the hard drive with a new one before sale. However I can't get the hard drive cover off as there are a couple of deeply embedded screws with broken threads, so decided to leave the drive in and wipe it a...
  3. What is the best hard drive for Surface pro 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the best hard drive for Surface pro 10?: What is the best hard drive for Surface pro 10? submitted by /u/JulietClarkeBio [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jpr5xt/what_is_the_best_hard_drive_for_surface_pro_10/
  4. Microsoft Surface Pro 4 not recognising Transcend Storejet external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Surface Pro 4 not recognising Transcend Storejet external hard drive: Hello, I recently purchased a second-hand Transcend Storejet 25h3 1TB external hard drive, connected via USB 3.0. It doesn't show up as an available device or drive from the menu on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4, but I can select it from the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject...
  5. Hard drive doesn't appear on Windows Installation Surface Pro 5

Hard drive doesn't appear on Windows Installation Surface Pro 5: [IMG] Everything looks fine on UEFI, I dont have the hard drive icon with the X or something weird, I dont know what I can do now, please, help...
  6. Mom's PC Advice Hard drive issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Mom's PC Advice Hard drive issues: Hello All Wondering something just did a Crystal Disk info check on Mom's PC, her one and only C Drive shows Caution Reallocated Sectors, Hard drive is original drive from 2012, Doing system image backup now, but if i do install my newer spare Toshiba 1tb drive for hers, i...
  7. Advice re: new hard drive

Advice re: new hard drive: I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB drive a few weeks ago in an attempt to fix a problem PC. I may have to scrap the machine (as still cant be fixed) and i wanted to ask are these viable options for my new £765 drive. 1. buy a machine with an HHD and add my SSD drive as a...
  8. Advice re: new hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice re: new hard drive: I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB drive a few weeks ago in an attempt to fix a problem PC. I may have to scrap the machine (as still cant be fixed) and i wanted to ask are these viable options for my new £765 drive. 1. buy a machine with an HHD and add my SSD drive as a...
  9. 2018 Surface Pro not working with external hard drives

2018 Surface Pro not working with external hard drives: Hi there So problem is I bought a surface pro with Windows 10. Had a brand new WD 4TB hard drive that just stopped working as it was started to be recognized as a Local Disk. So I tried all the fixes these threads could tell me with no luck. So I purchased a Toshiba 2TB...
  10. External hard drive . I need advice

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External hard drive . I need advice: I just bought an external hard drive and it has their software . So my question is should I use their software or use what I already have on my computer . what happens if I clean that drive of all software or do I have to learn all that stuff from the drive manufacture? and...