Windows 10: Microsoft talks about the cancelled Courier booklet device

Discus and support Microsoft talks about the cancelled Courier booklet device in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Back in 2008, Microsoft was internally testing a tablet PC with two displays, and the device would have featured a booklet design. The two displays... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, May 10, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft talks about the cancelled Courier booklet device

Back in 2008, Microsoft was internally testing a tablet PC with two displays, and the device would have featured a booklet design. The two displays with touch support faced each other in a booklet form and it also supported stylus (pen). Microsoft did work on Courier but the company never released it in the market.

Microsoft has been working on a new mobile device similar to the Courier digital Notepad concept, but the company has always remained tight-lipped on the cancelled Courier tablet. At Build 2018 developer conference, Microsoft revealed what exactly happened to the Courier project.

The operating system of the Microsoft Courier was reportedly a custom version of Windows. Steve Ballmer decided to cancel such a device “because it didn’t have a clear platform or developer story”.

It was killed “because it didn’t have a clear platform or developer story”

— Brad Sams (@bdsams) May 8, 2018

The rumoured device would have featured seven-inch screens when the book was closed. The Courier was a secret project and existence of such a device was only known by a few key engineers.

In 2010, Microsoft officially confirmed that they were working on Courier but the company ultimately cancelled the project

“At any given time, across any of our business groups, there are new ideas being investigated, tested, and incubated. It’s in Microsoft’s DNA to continually develop and incubate new technologies to foster productivity and creativity. The “Courier” project is an example of this type of effort and its technologies will be evaluated for use in future Microsoft offerings, but we have no plans to build such a device at this time,” Microsoft Corporate VP of Communications Frank Shaw said in a statement.

The history of Microsoft Courier

Microsoft talks about the cancelled Courier booklet device [​IMG]
    Image Courtesy: TheVerge.com

The Courier was running a modified version of Windows, and the project was led by Xbox godfather J Allard. Steve Ballmer had a dilemma. Both key executives – J Allard and Steven Sinofsky were pursuing a new vision for the tablets. While J Allard’s Courier ran a custom version of Windows, Steven Sinofsky was working on a tablet-friendly version of Windows but it wasn’t ready at that time.

Interestingly, Courier wasn’t supposed to replace the computer or smartphone. Surprisingly the device would not have featured an email application (Microsoft’s Outlook) and users would have to read emails from the web. It was a bit surprising concept as Microsoft Outlook was the company’s cash cow. The Courier could have been the ultimate device for creators – as it featured two dual display, journal design and stylus.

In other words, Courier was cancelled because it ran a custom version of Windows, and it didn’t align with Microsoft’s vision.

Surface Andromeda – The future of mobile computing

Microsoft talks about the cancelled Courier booklet device [​IMG]

While Microsoft hasn’t discussed the rumoured Andromeda at Build 2018, the company is still working on such a device. The Andromeda (also referred to as Surface Phone by many) is a project similar to Courier concept. The company is also working on series of improvements for Windows 10 in order to deliver the best experience on Andromeda.

The eagerly-anticipated Andromeda could be similar to the Courier concept, and the operating system will be optimized to run on this device with multiple modes. It certainly makes sense as the device could come in the form of a digital notepad with a foldable display. Microsoft will be using a hinge to enable foldability and it could also feature several form factors including phone and laptop modes.

It’s not yet known if Microsoft is pursuing a phone form factor or not. Rumours that have been swirling around the web suggested that Andromeda could see daylight rather sooner than later.

The post Microsoft talks about the cancelled Courier booklet device appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, May 10, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft talks about the cancelled Courier booklet device

1. Microsoft talks about the cancelled Courier booklet device - Similar Threads - Microsoft talks cancelled

2. is it possible to talk to a live person at Microsoft about hackers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is it possible to talk to a live person at Microsoft about hackers: I need to talk to a real person at Microsoft about my computr being hacked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-talk-to-a-live-person-at/9b9f696a-e6a6-4396-9c06-07a358774049
  3. is it possible to talk to a live person at Microsoft about hackers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is it possible to talk to a live person at Microsoft about hackers: I need to talk to a real person at Microsoft about my computr being hacked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-talk-to-a-live-person-at/9b9f696a-e6a6-4396-9c06-07a358774049
  4. is it possible to talk to a live person at Microsoft about hackers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. lockscreen talking about LGBTQ

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lockscreen talking about LGBTQ: why i see enough on t'v if you want to be that way fine but i shouldn't have to see anything about it in my own homemaybe i should switch to linux then put up with bill gates leftist agenda...
  6. What PUPs is this talking about?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What PUPs is this talking about?: I keep getting the following when I open Windows Explorer to the downloads folder on my other, older computer. I'm logged in using a standard account, but know the admin password.How do I figure out what PUP Windows security is talking about? Clicking on it brings up "Virus &...
  7. Booklet printing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Booklet printing: I have recently bought as new desktop PC with windows 10 and Offfice365. I need to prt a 16 page bklet to my HP Pro 8600. I have downloaded a new drv for the prt but still vannot prt bklet...
  8. This new Microsoft App everyone is talking about!!!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This new Microsoft App everyone is talking about!!!!!: Why can't you people(MICROSOFT) and all other companies, leave well enough alone?!!!! Since you made changes I can't open my HP windows 10 laptop without the new window coming on, which states all the great things, but then when you try and open it up it says you need a new...
  9. Microsoft’s Centaurus is reportedly a Courier like Windows Core OS device

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s Centaurus is reportedly a Courier like Windows Core OS device: The definition of computing is changing day by day. One of the earliest section to adopt this change is the education market, where Microsoft had the dominance in the 90s and early 2000s. But after the introduction of Chromebook, education sectors have switched to it because...
  10. Let's Talk About Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Let's Talk About Edge: Edge is a nice browser, currently my default. But Edge does not have a Command Bar to save a page to file (Documents). The only way to delete all Edge favorites at the same time is to "dig" deep into the system to find the Favorites folder or run a bat file. The...