Windows 10: Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Allow Automatically Download Updates over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by WinLatest, Jul 18, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Allow Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

By default, Windows Update in Windows 10 will automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections where extra charges may apply. In that case, Windows Update will automatically download only those updates requited to keep Windows running smoothly.

If wanted, you are able to allow Windows Update to automatically download updates over metered connections.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Windows Update to automatically download updates over metered connections in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections in Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & Security icon.

2. Click/tap on Advanced options on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Turn on or off (default) Download updates over metered connections (extra charge may apply) for what you want under Update options. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections using a REG file
    *note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings

AllowAutoWindowsUpdateDownloadOverMeteredNetwork DWORD

0 = Off (default)
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_AllowAutoWindowsUpdateDownloadOverMeteredNetwork.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_AllowAutoWindowsUpdateDownloadOverMeteredNetwork.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections in Local Group Policy Editor

If you enable or disable with this option, it will override Option One and Option Two above.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Four below to configure this same policy.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update

3. In the right pane of Windows Update in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow updates to be downloaded automatically over metered connections policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable), step 6 (disable), or step 7 (not configured) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Set this Policy to Default of Not Configured
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

9. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections using a REG file

If you enable or disable with this option, it will override Option One and Option Two above.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

AllowAutoWindowsUpdateDownloadOverMeteredNetwork DWORD

<delete> = Not Configured (default)
    0 = Disabled
    1 = Enabled

1. Do step 2 (enabled), step 3 (disabled), or step 4 (not configured) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Always_Enable_AllowAutoWindowsUpdateDownloadOverMeteredNetwork.reg

Download

3. To Disable Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_AllowAutoWindowsUpdateDownloadOverMeteredNetwork.reg

Download

4. To Set this Policy to Default of Not Configured

Not_Configured_AllowAutoWindowsUpdateDownloadOverMeteredNetwork.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

WinLatest, Jul 18, 2018
  2. R-T-B Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update Might Force Updates Even on Metered Connections

A wording change in the latest build of the upcoming Creators Update for Windows 10 has users on metered connections worried. In previous Microsoft Insider's builds of the Creators Update, the section of the license agreement pertaining to automatic updates said "updates will be downloaded and installed automatically, except over metered connections (where charges may apply)."

In this latest build, the wording has been changed to a more worrisome version implying updating may still happen for important updates: "We'll automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections (where charges may apply). In that case, we'll automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly."

Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 18da3be5bc06_thm.jpg

Obviously, this implies critical updates and such may still be pulled from a metered connection without prior user consent. Considering many "critical updates" from Microsoft today come in the form of "Patch Tuesday" rollups often nearing a gig, this could get expensive on a metered connection where users pay by the gigabyte or worse.

Source: HotHardware

R-T-B, Oct 27, 2019
  3. How do I download updates for Windows 10 through a metered connection?

Hi Gary,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft community.

As per your query, I like to inform you to that; you cannot download Windows updates on metered connection. To download the updates, you need to turn off the metered connection then check for the updates.

I suggest you turn off the metered connection then check for the updates.

To turn off the metered connection, follow the below path:

Open Settings > Network & Internet
    > Wi-Fi, connect to the metered connection, maybe a Wi-Fi hotspot you’re tethering from your mobile, then click Advanced options, and toggle Set as metered connection to Off.

For more information about metered connection, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well

To download the updates, follow the below steps:

• Type setting in the search area in the taskbar and select
      Settings.

• Click on Update and Security.

• Click on Check for Updates.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Oct 27, 2019
  4. NdMk2o1o Win User

Windows 10 update being enabled.

Try setting your connection to metered and it shouldnt automatically download updates

To change this option for a wired Ethernet network, open the Settings app, head to Network & Internet > Ethernet, and click the name of your Ethernet connection. Enable the “Set as metered connection” option on the properties page.

Source

NdMk2o1o, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Metered connections in Windows 10

Hi Roger,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me guide you how to turn on metered connection on Windows 10.

To turn on the metered connection follow the below steps:

• Connect to the network that you want to turn on the metered connection.

• Click on the network icon on the system tray and click on
      Network settings.

• Click on Wi-Fi on the left pane and click on
      Advanced option on the right side.
    • Now you can turn on the metered connection.
    Hope this helps. Post us in case if you have any further issues with Windows, we will be glad to help you further.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 27, 2019
  6. DOWNLOAD OVER METERED CONNECTIONS

Hi Regina,

The metered connection on your Windows 10 computer will limit the data usage to reduce its consumption. However, this option may affect some applications on your device and some updates won’t be installed automatically. To manage this option, we suggest
    that you follow the steps provided in this article regarding metered
    connections in Windows 10
    . Once you’re on the page, you may proceed with the steps, and then complete the process. After completing the steps, you may check if the issue persists.

Keep us updated about your concern for additional assistance.

Joseph Ban, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Download

2. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  3. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  4. Metered connection option keeps turning off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered connection option keeps turning off: Hi. I got this annoying problem, when i set a connection as metered windows turning it off! in other word the option does not save! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection-option-keeps-turning-off/04fb5a9d-5b2b-4680-9b2a-6f465e465393
  5. Windows 10 1703 updating over Metered connection

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 1703 updating over Metered connection: I have 3 windows 10 1703 machines on a Metered connection, however windows update just installed KB4022725 (OS Build 15063.413) on each of them over the last 2 days why? Metered connection is set to "ON". Any advise would be appreciated. 86875
  6. How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?: I'm running Windows 10 Pro. I've had it a week and notice that no updates have yet been downloaded - all the available updates are marked 'Waiting for download'. I use a mobile broadband dongle and I am limited to 10 GB data a month. My understanding is that Windows...
  7. Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10 [img] Information Whether it's for work or personal use, you can connect to a VPN (virtual private network) on your Windows 10 PC....
  8. Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Download Offline Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with the Maps app preinstalled. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice navigation...
  9. Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10: Since the Creators Update the mysterious wording in Windows Update has puzzled many, and Microsoft hasn't exactly been forthcoming. Just what updates are "required to keep Windows running smoothly"? [img] It doesn't help that the behaviour of updates over metered...
  10. Turn On or Off Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Download Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10 [img] Information Internet service providers can charge by the amount of data used (the amount of data...