Windows 10: Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years ?

Discus and support Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years | Computerworld 7982 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pants, Jul 8, 2015.

1. pants Win User

Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years ?

pants, Jul 8, 2015
  2. skip3119 Win User

Windows 10 free upgrade for Windows 7 details.

George222 said: "And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date
    for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge."

=========================================================

Found a link to define "for the supported lifetime of the device".

These excerpt are from the linked article:

1. free refreshes will last between two and four years.

2. [The estimated device life] can range from two to four years.

3. Although details remain skimpy on the upgrade lifetimes Microsoft plans for Windows 10, the two-to-four-year span was the first time the firm named their lengths.

4. Microsoft will determine the device lifetime.

======================================

Question: After 4 years if one doesn't want to throw away his/her device, does one have to pay otherwise Windows 10 will quit working? (As Microsoft treats Windows as a Service.)

Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years

skip3119, Jul 8, 2015
  3. Windows Task Bar unresponsive

Reverting back to 7 is not possible, who would of guessed? God damn wheres the **** support for this ****!

I have also tried to use an Ethernet cable to connect to the internet and the same or similar problems arise (not being able to access the flashing or none flashing taskbar with along with the windows associated programs). I suppose the direction windows
    is going, that internet is just a useless thing of the past??

Windows 11 or "9" must be the answer to the inbred thinking to windows 10. AWFUL COMPANY AND PRODUCT! thanks for the damn support Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years ? ;) i feel appreciated as a customer.

downgraded to 10, Jul 8, 2015
  4. richc46 Win User

The message from MS has nothing to do with how long they intend to provide free updates. What is discussed is merely an accounting technique to spread any income over the life of the free updates.

richc46, Jul 8, 2015
  5. Why is this done? Is it just to make the company annual profits look more comforting to share-holders, even though it's an imagined effect?

Delicieuxz, Jul 9, 2015
  6. richc46 Win User
    MS is doing business in the USA and are subject to what is know as FASB rules (generally accepted accounting practices)
    MS is giving away free Windows 10 and in the first few months, maybe the first year they will derive income because of this. It would not be fair to shareholders if they are led to believe that all of a sudden MS is making all kinds of money and that it will continue into the foreseeable future. This deferral of income gives a much more accurate picture of MS financial picture.

In none accounting language: A little income will be spread over several years, rather than have one great year.

Not actually stated, but possible, MS will give support for only 2 3 or 4 years.

richc46, Jul 9, 2015
  7. Thanks for that explanation.

Delicieuxz, Jul 9, 2015
  8. groze Win User

Richc46

I really can't see Microsoft stopping free updates to windows 10 when windows 7 sp1 extended support doesn't end till January 14, 2020 and Windows 8.1 extend support doesn't end till January 10, 2023.

I did find another article on this subject to add more confusion. It also brought up something I would like to know.

groze, Jul 9, 2015
  9. Molyy Win User
    Masters of confusion, masters of subscriptions, masters of FUD. Its all coming to a windows PC soon

Molyy, Jul 9, 2015
  10. richc46 Win User
    Let me give you the bottom line, as far as I am concerned. I do not think the MS is attempting to mislead us in any way. I have been happy with them and their OS, since 2000. As a major corporation, everything takes time. First the top people have to decide what is the best course of action for both the customer and the Company's bottom line. Then lawyers have to approve it then public relations has to decide on the best way to present it to the public. What this all boils down to is confusion, which is what we have. Anyone who says that they know more than what was explicitly made public is confused, to say the least.
    I think that we all have to wait just a bit longer to get definitive answers, which I want too. I am just sitting tight and waiting for straight forward answers and when they come I will believe them since my experience tells me MS is a Company that can be trusted.

richc46, Jul 9, 2015
  11. Cr00zng Win User
    Question...

Couldn't MS just claim the free upgrade as promotional cost and spread it to 2-4 years? Effectively offsetting other income and lower their taxes...

No, actually MS has stated that the free upgrade to W10 if for the life of the device, without time limit. MS may estimate this time to be between 2-4 years, but that does not mean it'll be the case in all free updates.

Cr00zng, Jul 9, 2015
  12. bromanbro Win User
    They say 2-4yrs, but I'd be surprised if it ended before Win8's updates. I'm sure MS will just release another Windows Update or something (though wondering how they plan to monetize it, since they don't make the same money off hardware that Apple does).

bromanbro, Jul 9, 2015
  13. richc46 Win User

Every major US corporation must follow uniform accounting rules, in this case know as Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB).
    The rules say it must be done in the way explained.

richc46, Jul 9, 2015
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Sounds a bit like Rapacious Banks / ISP's etc who operate a system of offering New customers really good deals and then when they are all hooked the price goes up ("Monetisation again").

It's known in the trade as "Sucker Deals". Grab them in early and most people usually don't bother to switch even when there are better deals available.

As for shareholders -- don't be too hard on these --I'm sure people want Pensions, other benefits at the appropriate time and you've only got to look at say the example Greece to see what happens if people keep drawing on the State when there isn't money being earned.

We might not like some of the practices in the modern world but NOBODY has come up with a better model that actually works so warts and all I think I'd prefer the US system with a bit of Scandinavian social justice thrown in to any other business model out there.

Companies NEED CASH for innovation -- Shareholders lend their money and IMO are entitled to some reward for putting up the dosh (and taking the risks if a company fails).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 9, 2015
  15. TheZeeMan Win User
    I think MS is following the path of Redhat. You can install their OS for free, but if you want any updates...you have to have a subscription. They are probably looking at it as recurring profits instead of just a one time purchase. It makes sense, just sucks for us...hopefully its not crazy.

TheZeeMan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years ? - Similar Threads - Microsoft provide free

2. does microsoft provide a toll free number?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does microsoft provide a toll free number?: does microsoft provide a toll free number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-microsoft-provide-a-toll-free-number/75b8e662-8d68-4983-9a01-0315e1250555
  3. does microsoft provide a toll free number?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does microsoft provide a toll free number?: does microsoft provide a toll free number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-microsoft-provide-a-toll-free-number/75b8e662-8d68-4983-9a01-0315e1250555
  4. Windows10 Activation message appears 2 or 3 years after my Windows7 free Upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows10 Activation message appears 2 or 3 years after my Windows7 free Upgrade: I have an OEM Windows7 on this Toshiba Laptop which was upgraded for free to Windows10 in 2017. Suddenly and recently the Activate Windows watermark came up. Many hours of troubleshooting later Microsoft Support are telling me I have to revert to Windows7 or go and buy...
  5. Free- SecureAplus 2 years - GiveawayoftheDay

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Free- SecureAplus 2 years - GiveawayoftheDay: A multi-engine white-listing solution that stands alongside traditional AVs (e.g. I run Avast and this). Whitelisting means only what you have approved runs, so a new level of security. Quiet and unobtrusive, no noticeable overhead as it's not a real-time scanner. Giveaway...
  6. 100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years

in Windows 10 Support
    100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years: Offer expires Feb 28, 2015 Join Bing Rewards and receive a free 2 year subscription for 100 GB of storage on OneDrive. Bing explore rewards: OneDrive Get 100 GB of online storage free for 2 years Bing Rewards and OneDrive have teamed up to offer 100 GB of...
  7. Free upgrade during the first year

in Windows 10 Support
    Free upgrade during the first year: Sounds good, too good to be 'true'? No matter what I think of Windows 10, it would be kinda stupid not to take up Microsoft on the free upgrade particularly if, like me, you have a standby build of your OS on a separate HD just in case the main drive crashed which I would...
  8. Windows 10 for Enterprise is not free in the first year...

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 for Enterprise is not free in the first year...: Businesses switching to Windows 10 for Enterprise won't be getting the operating system as a free upgrade within the first year of release and it will be updated differently as well. Back in October, it was reported that Microsoft was working on a lock-down update system for...
  9. Is Windows 10 free for first year is it a free upgrade? OEM Verison

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Windows 10 free for first year is it a free upgrade? OEM Verison: Microsoft Windows 10 free upgrade: five questions answered | Technology | The Guardian "I read somewhere that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will expire after one year and that the user will then have to pay for the upgrade. Is this so? AlasdairNo, that’s completely...
  10. What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?

in Windows 10 Support
    What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?: Does anyone know what happens with Windows 10 free upgrade after a year? I'm thinking MS will charge ppl a year, but I'm just guessing. I haven't heard what happens and would like to know. 8167