Windows 10: Microsoft Windows update/fix tool problem

Discus and support Microsoft Windows update/fix tool problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am having problems with Microsoft Edge. When I try to open it, it populates multiple windows. I have tried to uninstall it with no luck. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by deewojtuniak, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Microsoft Windows update/fix tool problem

I am having problems with Microsoft Edge. When I try to open it, it populates multiple windows. I have tried to uninstall it with no luck. I have tried to run windows updates with no luck. They come up with an error. I have tried to download the "fresh start" fix tool for windows 10 with no luck. I have also tried to do a system recovery but it is not working.

Any suggestions?

:)

deewojtuniak, Aug 23, 2018
  2. KTR
    ktr Win User

Windows updates won't install!

I had the same problem when i repaired my O/S, i forgot the steps on how to fixed it, but it is in the microsoft support forum.

You have to reinstall the windows updater, then restart the updating service.

edit: Found it...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

3. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Microsoft Windows update/fix tool problem [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Aug 23, 2018
  4. Microsoft Windows update/fix tool problem

FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

Thanks for this and your step by step. My search for updates only took 10 minutes after your guide.

Spaceman Spiff, Aug 23, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Windows update/fix tool problem

1. Microsoft Windows update/fix tool problem - Similar Threads - Microsoft update fix

2. Fix Microsoft Edge Update problems in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Microsoft Edge Update problems in Windows 11: [ATTACH]This post features solutions to fix Microsoft Edge Update problems in Windows 11. If your Microsoft Edge browser is not updating automatically, then this post is sure to help you. Why is my Microsoft Edge not updating? If the Microsoft Edge browser is not updating, it...
  3. Microsoft Paint, Snipping Tool problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Paint, Snipping Tool problem: I can't open Microsoft Paint and Snipping Tool anymore in Windows 11 since yesterday.All other Windows apps works except this two. I don't have Paint and Snipping Tool in Windows Store only Paint 3D....
  4. Microsoft Paint, Snipping Tool problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Paint, Snipping Tool problem: I can't open Microsoft Paint and Snipping Tool anymore in Windows 11 since yesterday.All other Windows apps works except this two. I don't have Paint and Snipping Tool in Windows Store only Paint 3D....
  5. Microsoft Update Tool

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Update Tool: Since the Microsoft Update Tool was installed, my machine no longer will process Windows Updates and each has an error code of 0x80040154i, Is the tool related to the error code and if I remove the tool will the updates then occur?...
  6. microsoft update health tools

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    microsoft update health tools: hey so I want to know if its ok to delete microsft update health tools and if my pc will still work fine if I do because sadly i only have 250 gigs of ssd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-update-health-tools/43712265-b724-486b-b4cf-302d0d200a10
  7. Help for Fixing The Media Creation Tool error "There was a problem running this tool".

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help for Fixing The Media Creation Tool error "There was a problem running this tool".: when I was creating Bootable USB on Windows 10 Media Creation Tool I had a problem and the problem is in this photo:[ATTACH] Plus I had a problem with the USB Flash Drive too when i wanted to open the files that are in the USB and this is the problem: [ATTACH] These were...
  8. Microsoft Fix it tool.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Fix it tool.: When I try to install Microsoft Fix it tool, the following message appears:- "Fix it Center Setup encountered an error. An unexpected error has occurred. Please close and try to Setup again later." Does this tool have a conflict with Windows Defender? Help would be most...
  9. Problem with Microsoft Media Creation Tool

Problem with Microsoft Media Creation Tool: Is there something wrong with Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool? Thrice I have tried to download the Windows 10 ISO, and each time, after almost 18 hours had elapsed and the progress of the download had neared completion, the following message kept popping up: There was a...
  10. microsoft office update/fix tool problem

microsoft office update/fix tool problem: I am having problems with Microsoft Edge. When I try to open it, it populates multiple windows. I have tried to uninstall it with no luck. I have tried to run windows updates with no luck. They come up with an error. I have tried to download the "fresh start" fix tool...