Windows 10: Microsoft XPS Document Writer missing and can't get it back

Discus and support Microsoft XPS Document Writer missing and can't get it back in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So windows 10 pro updated itself to version 1803 and now ALL my printers are gone. I was able to reinstall my desktop printers just fine. However, no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JS963, Jul 18, 2018.

1. JS963 Win User

Microsoft XPS Document Writer missing and can't get it back

So windows 10 pro updated itself to version 1803 and now ALL my printers are gone. I was able to reinstall my desktop printers just fine. However, no matter what I try I can't get back Microsoft XPS Document Writer. I need this to print from Quickbooks...

So far these are things that I have tried that did not work

Go to Devices and Printers and click on "Add a printer." Click through "The printer I want is not listed", "Add a local printer....", and under "Use an existing Port" select "PORTPROMPT: (Local Port)" if it's listed. Click Next, then scroll down to Microsoft in the left-hand column and pick "Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4" in the right-hand column, then click next until you're done. That should bring it back for you.

The above did not work because "Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4" is not even listed in the right hand column after selecting Microsoft. I tried to remedy this with the below.

Go to setting > Apps & Features > Manage optional features. If XPS viewer is not there, click add feature and select XPS viewer and click install.

This also did not work as when I click install it said "XPS Viewer install failed". Tried this several times with rebooting and fails every time.

I checked for the files being present in the windows folder. C:\Windows\System32\spool\tools\Microsoft XPS Document Writer and has the below contents:

mxdw.gpd GPD File

mxdwdui.dll Application Extension

mxdw-manifest.ini Configuration settings

mxdw-piplineconfig.xml XML Document

prnms001.cat Security Catalog

prnms001.inf Setup Information

Any idea of what I can try next to get Microsoft XPS Document Writer back??? It has been working just fine for over a year until this update...

:)

JS963, Jul 18, 2018
  2. LK375 Win User

Missing Microsoft XPS Document Writer

Hi David,

Before I can help you with the missing XPS Document Writer and QB, I need to know, are you using Windows 10 Pro? If you can answer "yes" to this question - continue...

If your answer was "yes", try this, it worked for and I, (DK83) but I'll need you to answer a couple of questions first. Please answers my questions in the order below - thanks.

1. - Open the File Manager and single (left) click on the "This PC" icon.

2. - Then double (left) click on the icon for the C: drive.

3. - Then double (left) click on the directory file folder - "Windows".

4. - Then double (left) click on the sub-directory file folder - "System32"

5. - Then double (left) click on the sub-directory file folder - "spool".

6. - Then double (left) click on the sub-directory file folder - "tools".

Is there a sub-directory called "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" located in the "tools' sub-directory?

If yes, go to step 7 below. If no, go to step (a) below.

(a) - Then single click on the "New Folder" icon on the tool bar above and add a folder in the "tools" sub-directory called Microsoft XPS Document Writer.

(b) - On the left side of File Manager, single click on the "My PC" icon and then using "Search this PC" in the upper right of the File Manager display enter the file name - mxdw.gpd and allow the search engine to local where on your computer this file
    is located.

(c) - If the "Search This PC" function can't local this file or any of the files listed in Step 7, let me know with a Reply to this message by indicating - "I'm screwed, but let's move on...".

7. - Then double click on the sub-directory "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" and verify that the following files are there:

mxdw.gpd GPD File

mxdwdui.dll Application Extension

mxdw-manifest Configuration settings

mxdw-piplineconfig XML Document

prnms001 Security Catalog

prnms001 Setup Information

If these files are not in the "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" folder, return to step (c) above.

If the files are in the sub-directory "Microsoft XPS Document Writer", reply to this message with - "OK - I'm good to go. Let's move on...".

You'll need to reply to by August 9th, otherwise you'll need to wait until August 28th.... thanks.

DK83

LK375, Jul 18, 2018
  3. David DDL Win User

Hi, Brad and LK375,

I am having this exact same issue and I suddenly could not use QuickBooks to print or email invoices since 4 weeks ago, which
    is most annoying.

The technical support of QuickBooks has logged into my computer and shown me the XPS Document Writer is missing from the printer list of Microsoft on my computer, so they could not either add or reinstall it back to
    allow QuickBooks to print or email invoices.

I am wondering if you or anyone have eventually have the issue resolved. If so, could you please kindly advise how you make the XPS Document Writer show up in the printer
    list under Microsoft again?

I have attached a screenshot showing the disappearance of XPS Document Writer in the printer list under Microsoft. Thank you.

Microsoft XPS Document Writer missing and can't get it back a2752b45-a158-4f70-9384-2689792133e0.png

David DDL, Jul 18, 2018
  4. Ramon Imp Win User

Hi,

For us to assist you more effectively, we would like to know the following:

• Have you tried restarting your computer?
    • Do you have the latest Windows Update?
    • How do you reinstall the Microsoft XPS Document Writer?
    • Have you taken any troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem?

We'll be waiting for your reply so we could help you out.

Ramon Imp, Jul 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft XPS Document Writer missing and can't get it back - Similar Threads - Microsoft XPS Document

2. I deleted XPS Document Writer!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I deleted XPS Document Writer!: I ignorantly deleted XPS Document Writer printer. I've tried every process I could find online...I've tried adding a printer manually using an existing port and even creating a port...using Microsoft as manufacturer...there are no XPS Writer Options. Tried this:1. Press...
  3. I deleted XPS Document Writer!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I deleted XPS Document Writer!: I ignorantly deleted XPS Document Writer printer. I've tried every process I could find online...I've tried adding a printer manually using an existing port and even creating a port...using Microsoft as manufacturer...there are no XPS Writer Options. Tried this:1. Press...
  4. Fix Microsoft XPS Document Writer not working

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Microsoft XPS Document Writer not working: [ATTACH]In this article, we will discuss what you should do if you find that the Microsoft XPS Document writer is not working on your Windows 11/10 device. Microsoft XPS Document Writer is a print-to-file driver that is used to create XPS (XML Paper Specification) files on a...
  5. Microsoft XPS Document Writer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer: Microsoft XPS Document Writer inadvertently deleted this printer. It is needed for Quickbooks to email. How and can I reinstall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-xps-document-writer/4b45010a-a2c7-4b8f-aec0-6107c5642424
  6. Microsoft XPS Document Writer gone again!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer gone again!: After your recent update I am unable to use Microsoft XPS document writer, which I need to run Quickbooks. Same problem occurred last year. Please help again....
  7. reinstalling microsoft XPS document writers Windows !0

reinstalling microsoft XPS document writers Windows !0: I've tried all the suggestions nothing works. I just want to reinstall the program for quickbooks. If I uninstall windows 10 and reinstall windows will this work. It just disappeared 5 days ago....
  8. Missing XPS Document Writer for Windows 10 OS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing XPS Document Writer for Windows 10 OS: Just go to CONTROL PANEL>ADD/REMOVE Programs>Turn Windows Features ON/OFF>Check the CHECKBOX>MICROSOFT WINDOWS XPS DOCUMENT WRITER>Click OK Button....
  9. Microsoft XPS Document Writer

Microsoft XPS Document Writer: I have Microsoft XPS Document Writer and can print to it but I cant read any of the files from my previous computer that were dprinted to it. I have several years of files save to this printe and cant ready any of them since replacing my previous computer....
  10. microsoft xps document writer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft xps document writer: how to get Microsoft xps document writer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-xps-document-writer/96f1d195-bb23-482c-94e1-6c70ca36f3fd