Windows 10: Microsoft’s Edge browser may be storing private browsing data

Discus and support Microsoft’s Edge browser may be storing private browsing data in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When Microsoft’s Edge browser arrived this summer alongside Windows 10, it was seen as a major step forward, incorporating new features like Cortana... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Microsoft’s Edge browser may be storing private browsing data

Read more: Microsoft's Edge browser may be storing private browsing data | The Verge

Brink, Jan 27, 2016
  2. AnEdge Win User

By mistake? Or by design? Hmmmm....Either way, its very troubling!!

:)

AnEdge, Jan 27, 2016
  3. why are random tabs opening up in Edge for no reason

Hi,

I understand the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you clear the Clear browsing data option
    of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

• Click on the More actions (…) icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    • Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    • Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files
      and click on Clear.
    Note: You may try to check if the issue persist in the private browsing. Open the EDGE browser, Click on the
    More actions (…) button on top right corner of EDGE and click on
    New InPrivate Window to browse the internet in private Window.

Hope the information helps.

Nachappa C K, Jan 27, 2016
  4. Microsoft’s Edge browser may be storing private browsing data

youtube wont work in microsoft edge

Hi Donald,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

I understand that you are no able to play videos through YouTube on EDGE browser.

We need to know whether face this issue only on YouTube/other websites also.

Before performing below steps, make sure that you have enabled the Adobe flash player on EDGE browser.

Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you clear the Clear browsing data option
    of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions (…) icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.

2. Select Settings and click on
    Choose what to clear.

3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files
    and click on Clear.

If the issue still persist, follow the below method.

Method 2:

You may try to check if the issue persist in the private browsing. Open the EDGE browser,
    Click on the More actions (…) button on top right corner of EDGE and click on
    New InPrivate Window to browse the internet in private Window.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jan 27, 2016
  5. rfruth Win User
    Since Firefox, Chrome, Safari and IE all had this 'feature' the fix (if needed) should be quick n easy *Redface

rfruth, Jan 27, 2016
  6. gator2013 Win User
    I agree, very troubling either way.

gator2013, Jan 27, 2016
  7. gator2013 Win User
    If it's a mistake, oversight or whatever, that demonstrates a level of incompetence and if it's by design well, no more needs to be said. If it is rectified quickly then I would say mistake but my money is on the latter. When people say PRIVATE I don't think Microsoft thinks it includes them.

After using W-10 for a while I went back to 8.1 and glad I did. Watching all the problems with W-10 just reinforces my decision.

gator2013, Jan 27, 2016
  8. AnEdge Win User

Hey Gator, on a serious note, did you have a lot of problems yourself with 10? I agree on some points you make, but after all the initial problems I had and after ironing them out, my system runs incredibly smooth.

As far as Edge goes, its half baked.

AnEdge, Jan 27, 2016
  9. gator2013 Win User
    I used W-10 on one of my machines from the start (8/1/15). Didn't have any total crashes but fairly unstable, but after a couple weeks there was much improvement but I think W-10 is 6-9-12 months away from being a rock solid OS and "YES" I also think Edge is half baked and after a week or so using it I defaulted my system to ie11. If it's not broke don't try to fix it. 8.1 is a fine OS and does everything I will ever need it to do and more and it is rock solid and I don't need to think about what the next update will or will not do. I would never use Cortana or most of the built-in apps that I could not uninstall. I do think the way MS is pushing it is rather despicable. Yes, it is free from Microsoft's perspective but for many, the upgrade has not been free at all. I know of numerous occasions where home users had to take their PC's to a tech to correct problems from the upgrade, so it wasn't free for them. All in all I was very disappointed with W-10 considering all the pre-release hype, I had hoped it was going to something that really knocked your socks off but it's not even close.

gator2013, Jan 27, 2016
  10. AnEdge Win User
    Kind of the way I felt initially. It took me 6 times to upgrade with all the problems, but most of them were HP related. I uninstalled the HP crap and actually configured my system almost like 7, and not with 3rd party apps!! A few registry hacks and so forth.
    I have to say that my system is running just as good, if not better than 7 did.
    The forums here ( and Brink in particular ) are second to none as far as resolving issues and getting the most out of the new OS.
    Hope to see you upgrade again and enjoy 10 as much as I've learned too.

Edit: I see you have an HP also. Uninstall the HP support and framework and also the HP setup!! The HP setup in particular was causing all the instability for me initially.

AnEdge, Jan 27, 2016
  11. biglee Win User
    biglee, Aug 29, 2016
  12. what have you all got to hide lol.
    I really don't care, it would make boring reading for anyone bothering to check it

shakennstirred, Aug 30, 2016
  13. wert Win User

I don't care either. There are no top secrets on one of my computers.
    And as for spam, I'm "spam ignorant". *Biggrin

14. But don't all browsers have the ability to shut off your history, temporary internet files, and cookies from being saved? This is there to speed up your browsing using cached graphics rather than having to download each time you go to the sites you frequently visit.

orlbuckeye, Sep 1, 2016
  15. I can only hope my default browser ,Chrome and alternate Firefox is a little better in these respects outside of Incognito Chrome browsing and they all do some data mining but hopefully a lot of Chrome's local data/ browser sync data /history storage is encrypted but I don't think it is beyond browser cookies and some outgoing data to Google ?

I rarely use Edge ,it's *still*not all that stable or useful to me other than switching into and playing some videos occasionally better than the others browsers do ..... *really

Maybe one of the experts here can illuminate all this browser data security for us .

electronuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft’s Edge browser may be storing private browsing data - Similar Threads - Microsoft’s Edge browser

2. NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER: Hello, I am not able to browse the specific web server using Edge browser, though it works using Google Chrome from the same PC. i ahve checked following already and could conclude the resason. " dns " is set to " automatic " on the network property NSLOOKUP givne the correct...
  3. NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER: Hello, I am not able to browse the specific web server using Edge browser, though it works using Google Chrome from the same PC. i ahve checked following already and could conclude the resason. " dns " is set to " automatic " on the network property NSLOOKUP givne the correct...
  4. NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Browsing in private

in Browsers and Email
    Browsing in private: I have never used browsing in private so my question is would you recommend that I use this function. Thanks 125775
  6. Browsing in private

in Windows 10 Support
    Browsing in private: I have never used browsing in private so my question is would you recommend that I use this function. Thanks 125775
  7. in private browsing

in Browsers and Email
    in private browsing: How to turn off in private browsing in edge, windows 10 home 64 bit, 1709 105479
  8. Private Browsing

in Browsers and Email
    Private Browsing: Hello, Sometimes I get from Chrome browser a notice about private browsing, to install some add-on to the browser, as on attached screenshot. I am asking the experts, what is it, is it safe to install, should I install it ? Answers will be appreciated. Thanks 99439
  9. private browsing

in Browsers and Email
    private browsing: I cant find any setting to make Microsoft edge open as a private browser by default. 11344
  10. Clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Clear Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Clear your Browsing Data in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser added in Windows 10, and will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and...