Windows 10: Add or Remove Microsoft Edge Search Box Placeholder Text in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Microsoft Edge Search Box Placeholder Text in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Microsoft Edge Search Box Placeholder Text in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Microsoft Edge Search Box Placeholder Text in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Add or Remove Microsoft Edge Search Box Placeholder Text in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Microsoft Edge Search Box Placeholder Text in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Microsoft Edge Search Box Placeholder Text in Windows 10

Add or Remove Microsoft Edge Search Box Placeholder Text in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

The New Tab pages in Microsoft Edge can give you access to the latest news across business, entertainment, finance and more. Plus, with weather updates, sports scores, recommendations for apps and much more.

By default, the Address bar (aka: "Search box") shows the placeholder text Search and enter web address on the Start and New tab pages in Microsoft Edge.

If you prefer, you can remove this placeholder text and make it appear blank instead.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Address bar placeholder text "Search and enter web address" in Microsoft Edge for your account in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Microsoft Edge Address bar placeholder text "Search and enter web address"

Here's How:

Note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

Code:
    HideAddressBoxPlaceholderTextOnStartPage and HideAddressBoxPlaceholderTextOnNewTabPage DWORDs

0 = Add
    1 = Remove

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add Microsoft Edge Address Bar (Search Box) Placeholder Text
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_AddressBoxPlaceholderText_in_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download

3. To Remove Microsoft Edge Address Bar (Search Box) Placeholder Text
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_AddressBoxPlaceholderText_in_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cluster Head, Jun 12, 2016

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Oct 26, 2019
  3. OrbitzXT Win User
    Firefox Search Box Text

In previous versions of Firefox, I was able to find the option to disable the browser from showing previously entered text into a search or text box. For example, the User Name box on this forum, I type "O" and OrbitzXT pops up. Other text in other search boxes has been popping up as well. I am using Firefox 3.6, I've tried clearing histories and such and it still remembers text in the boxes. Any ideas how to disable this? I don't see any such option in Tools -> Options.

OrbitzXT, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Add or Remove Microsoft Edge Search Box Placeholder Text in Windows 10

search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Oct 26, 2019
  5. typing into my search box in windows edge

Hi,

To better isolate the issue you're experiencing, kindly answer the following questions:

• What exactly happens when you type into Cortana and Microsoft Edge search box? Is there any error message?
    • Did you make any recent changes prior to the issue?
    • Any troubleshooting steps you've tried so far?

We'll look forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Oct 26, 2019
  6. JohnHeinz Win User
    Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Add or Remove Microsoft Edge Search Box Placeholder Text in Windows 10

1. Add or Remove Microsoft Edge Search Box Placeholder Text in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Microsoft

2. Text in the Search Box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text in the Search Box: Hey guys,Does anyone knows how I can remove this "Search" text from the search bar? Google wasn't helpful enough so I decided to shoot in here.I just want the magnifying glass like it used to be before this latest Windows 11 update. :Thanks....
  3. Text in the Search Box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Text in the Search Box: Hey guys,Does anyone knows how I can remove this "Search" text from the search bar? Google wasn't helpful enough so I decided to shoot in here.I just want the magnifying glass like it used to be before this latest Windows 11 update. :Thanks....
  4. Speech to text only works with Edge search box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech to text only works with Edge search box: There's a little box down near the bottom of the page with a microphone icon. Suddenly, today, that box no longer works because it keeps saying I'm not connected to the Internet- I am. However, when I click on the microphone in the Edge search box, it works fine. No...
  5. Speech to text only works with Edge search box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speech to text only works with Edge search box: There's a little box down near the bottom of the page with a microphone icon. Suddenly, today, that box no longer works because it keeps saying I'm not connected to the Internet- I am. However, when I click on the microphone in the Edge search box, it works fine. No...
  6. Win 10 21H1 - Unable to add text to Search and System boxes.

in Cortana
    Win 10 21H1 - Unable to add text to Search and System boxes.: Hi,I have Win 10 Pro 21H1 29/4/22 OS Build 19043.1706 Win Feature pack 120.2212.4170.0On a Dell T7500 Workstation.When I try to add text to the Explorer Search box, I am unable. There is no reaction at all, the cursor is there though.The search facility itself does work . If...
  7. How to add or remove Sidebar Search Panel in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to add or remove Sidebar Search Panel in Microsoft Edge: The sidebar search panel of Search Bing in sidebar for option in the Edge browser helps you search for a keyword quickly while browsing a website. By default, Microsoft Edge has this functionality enabled, but you can hide or disable it using Registry if you want. As you...
  8. microsoft edge and search box not working

in Windows 10 Support
    microsoft edge and search box not working: All was working a couple of days ago, now today I can not access edge. double click nothing, went to task bar and cannot enter anything into the "Search the web and windows" then went to windows icon and do not see/get the apps What has happened? Tried to get to updates...
  9. Add or Remove Search Glyph in Search Box in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Search Glyph in Search Box in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Search Glyph in Search Box in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Search Glyph in Search Box in Windows 10 Searching from your taskbar makes it easier for you to search the web and Windows. Starting with Windows 10 build 14946, you can add or remove...
  10. Add or Remove Submit Button in Search Box in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Submit Button in Search Box in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Submit Button in Search Box in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Submit Button in Search Box in Windows 10 Searching from your taskbar makes it easier for you to search the web and Windows. Starting with Windows 10 build 14946, you can add or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove microsoft edge search box placeholder text in windows 10