Windows 10: Microsoft's Windows NT 4.0 launched 20 years ago this week

Discus and support Microsoft's Windows NT 4.0 launched 20 years ago this week in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Sunday July 31 marks 20 years since Microsoft launched Windows NT 4.0. On July 31, 1996, Microsoft released NT 4.0 to manufacturing. It was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Microsoft's Windows NT 4.0 launched 20 years ago this week

Read more: Microsoft's Windows NT 4.0 launched 20 years ago this week | ZDNet

See also: Windows Server: 20th Year Anniversary

Brink, Jul 27, 2016
  2. Berton Win User

Yeah, I had just gotten a copy of WinNT 3.51 when 4.0 was announced so I went with the new, good experience as I was in a computer shop and everything was networked.

:)

Berton, Jul 27, 2016
  3. Panasonic HD Writer AE 4.0

I'm running Panasonic software HD Writer AE 4.0 on Windows 10 and have done so for some years. A few weeks ago the preview function within the program ceased to show any video picture (only sound). No changes or updates were made to anything. I've been
    in touch with Panasonic and Microsoft but still no joy. Any ideas?

CharlesOxlade, Jul 27, 2016
  4. Microsoft's Windows NT 4.0 launched 20 years ago this week

NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5) compatibility mode was available in Windows 7, but not Windows 10.

Original Title - NT 4.0 Compatibility in Windows 10

NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5) compatibility mode was available in Windows 7, but not Windows 10. Is there any way to get a .exe that requires this to run in Windows 10?

Thanks in advance!

FrancisAnderson, Jul 27, 2016
  5. TerraDon Win User
    As a systems admin, I loved NT. Most of the users hated it!

TerraDon, Jul 27, 2016
  6. Wenda Win User
    I still have mine (NT4 SP1).

I did have it running in a VR, but I lost it in a crash.

Will set it up again one of these days.

Wenda, Jul 28, 2016
  7. muffle Win User
    I don't know what you're talking about. I like Windows NT 10.

muffle, Jul 28, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

over the years I've installed every version of windows --even as far back to windows/286 --that's probably a long time before some members of this Forum were even thought of --much less actually born.

I have to say that Windows NT ranks as THE WORST O/S I've ever used --everything - even simple networking was a major exercise to get it working - you needed a Doctorate in Computer Science even to understand the documentation.

We referred to Windows NT as WINDOWS NEANDERTHAL or WINDOWS NO THANKS,

The best Windows versions were : (IMO)

Windows 3.11 for workgroups
    Windows 95
    Windows 2000
    Windows 2003 Server --- still doing sterling service - it's now on the final chapter but it really was a great networking OS. Windows XP (probably one of the most popular OS'es ever was based on it).
    Windows XP
    Windows 7
    Windows 10

Windows Vista would have been OK but came out too early before hardware was up to it --if you run it in modern hardware on say a VM you can see that it was actually OK.

Dogs were Windows NT
    Windows Millenium
    Windows 8
    Windows before 3.0

And I'm being unkind to Dogs here --especially with Windows NT --a Guiness book of records entry should be submitted for the world's "Most User AGGRESSIVE" system ever to hit the planet.

I remember with horror with horror trying to get simple networking connections and RAS to work. RIP Windows NT and GOOD RIDDANCE -- nobody will miss you --unlike Win XP etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 28, 2016
  9. TerraDon Win User
    You only think you're old, Jimbo. I started on an old IBM mainframe with Fortran back in the early '70s. On the PC side, I first loaded MSDOS 2.11 in 1983. Then upgraded to Windows 1.0 and on up the ladder. NT, was a work in progress. Many core objects carried over into subsequent Windows, most notably the disk file system, NTFS, which is pretty much the standard disk file system for XP on. The biggest complaint that I ever heard about NT was that it attempted to make a clean break from what came before. It simply didn't work like what was familiar to users.

TerraDon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft's Windows NT 4.0 launched 20 years ago this week - Similar Threads - Microsoft's launched years

2. simple ask from 4 years ago

in Windows 10 Gaming
    simple ask from 4 years ago: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/replace-windows-media-player-with-groove-in-the/b487d4a8-931c-416c-bade-7f201a4531ad?messageId=b4682de9-08a2-4a36-b7b8-bf8b18717049...
  3. simple ask from 4 years ago

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    simple ask from 4 years ago: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/replace-windows-media-player-with-groove-in-the/b487d4a8-931c-416c-bade-7f201a4531ad?messageId=b4682de9-08a2-4a36-b7b8-bf8b18717049...
  4. Update restored to two years ago

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update restored to two years ago: There was an update when I turned on my laptop. It now has the homescreen from two years ago! My work is gone! Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-restored-to-two-years-ago/499cc3c6-69eb-41c2-8a0e-07e0d1da48bc
  5. Windows did an upgrade a couple of weeks ago

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows did an upgrade a couple of weeks ago: Windows did an upgrade a couple of weeks ago and I can't open my pay advice which uses VMR, how do I do to get this back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-did-an-upgrade-a-couple-of-weeks-ago/7a62f32f-e4a5-46c7-8633-e5de9b7f672b
  6. Windows automatically resotred to 1 year ago

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows automatically resotred to 1 year ago: So it is 22nd January 2019, I was doing some work on Microsoft Word, then left my laptop for 10 minutes. When I came back, I noticed the laptop has just restarted and restored itself to January 2018. Unfortunately, I have not been actively backing up my laptop for quite a few...
  7. Windows 10 and NT 4 Drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 and NT 4 Drivers: I have had a very recent traumatic episode with my laptop which required a total rebuild. As it came with Windows 10 Pro already installed I had no backup disk. I downloaded a a copy to a flash drive and am now back up and running. However, W10 no longer recognises my...
  8. There was a person from Microsoft on my computer a few weeks ago

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There was a person from Microsoft on my computer a few weeks ago: I have purchased 118 sets of puzzles. I have over 1,000 credits, Cannot get puzzles to load now. When they do it says I have 2 puzzles in my collection. And they will not stay loaded. There was a person from Microsoft on my computer a few weeks ago and she did nothing to fix...
  9. Microsoft’s Windows 98 was released 20 years ago today

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s Windows 98 was released 20 years ago today: Windows 98 is undoubtedly one of the most popular Windows versions to date and, Windows 98 no longer receives updates and fixes from Microsoft. The software giant released Windows 98 operating system on June 25, 1998, exactly 20 years ago from today. Windows 95 arrived in...
  10. Program runs in background but not launching. Used to work a week ago.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program runs in background but not launching. Used to work a week ago.: Hi all Recently upgraded from windows 8 to 10 fresh install ( 2 months ago) My problem: A program "Ulead Gif Animator" that used to work fine a week ago is suddenly not working anymore. I can see the process is running in background with Task manager but not launching on...