Windows 10: Migrate to new computer

Discus and support Migrate to new computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My daughter just upgraded her Surface Pro 2 to a Surface Pro 4. Is there an easy way to migrate all her info/programs/data to the new computer? 66290 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 3DPiper, Oct 7, 2016.

1. 3DPiper Win User

Migrate to new computer

My daughter just upgraded her Surface Pro 2 to a Surface Pro 4.
    Is there an easy way to migrate all her info/programs/data to the new computer?

:)

3DPiper, Oct 7, 2016

2. migrate to new computer

how t migrate to new pc with window

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate**

Paul Winters strat, Oct 7, 2016
  3. migrate to new computer

Hi Paul,

Microsoft has partnered with Laplink to bring you PCmover Express. It is a tool for transferring selected files, folders, and more
    from your old Windows PC to your new Windows 10 PC.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Oct 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Migrate to new computer

There's no free way I know of.

Commercial programs:
    Laplink - the cheaper option uses disk imaging to transfer programs.
    Easeus ToDo PCTrans

The cost of these is for a one-off transfer.
    You need to weigh up the time to resintall vs the cost + unfamiliarity - learning curve.

I have used Laplink's software with 95% success for several 100 programs 3 times.

Taking a different approach:
    Use a disk imaging program such as Macrium Reflect (commercial version) and attempt a Restore to new hardware.
    ReDeploy a system to new hardware

Note: all of these require large enough external storage of suitable type to connect to your devices.

dalchina, Oct 7, 2016
  5. I was going to say "Windows east transfer" but it looks like that was discontinued with Windows 10. Have a look at this, Windows Easy Transfer - Wikipedia It states "Microsoft has chosen to provide a free version of Laplink's PCmover Express as an alternative to WET. Not sure if that helps you though?

alphanumeric, Oct 8, 2016
  6. From what I recall (it has been a while, though) the Windows Easy Transfer which MS "acquired" from Alohabob PC Relocator migrated apps, data and settings.

Like dalchina, I have used Laplink's PCMover and can confirm is works for MOST of the apps. If you only have a couple, it's probably not worth the money as you have to buy the PRO version to migrate apps.

One nice feature of the Laplink product is that, if you already have an image backup of the OLD PC (I make mine using Macrium Reflect), you can "mount" that image in their product and do selective app restores from it.

Mark Phelps, Oct 8, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    To do data is easy:
    just turn on both PCs,
    make sure both are connected to your home network, either via LAN or WLAN,
    then either set up a Homegroup(not really needed for most users) or...
    just make sure Network Discovery(Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings) is turned on,

Migrate to new computer [​IMG]

on both PCs, and they can see each other in File Explorer.

Migrate to new computer [​IMG]

Then you can either Copy to or drag & drop files from one PC to the other.

And if you have both connected to your router via LAN transfer rate is 1GB/s, and the time it will take is only dependent on the read/write time, if you use normal hard disk or SSDs.

Cliff S, Oct 8, 2016
  8. Whatphoeb Win User

Migrate to new computer

The answer to this question used to be a free Microsoft utility called Windows Easy Transfer but it is is not available in Windows 10, EaseUS has also entered the market with an alternative Windows 10 Easy Transfer Tool, which is also a free download for home users. You can try it, named EaseUS Todo PCTrans.

Whatphoeb, Oct 8, 2016
  9. 3DPiper Win User
    3DPiper, Oct 8, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    I've never tried it- so am interested if anyone has experience of this.

dalchina, Oct 8, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    I have not tried Backupper or Macrium's Restore to diff. Hardware as they both require the paid version , so it would be good to hear experiences of that , though I can say Macrium Free is very useful for me.

Does not signing in with Her MS$oft Account not allow Her to backup Her Settings and Apps ? or does She have a tonne of programs too?

I am fairly sure if OneDrive is setup that you can at least save some of your config to the OneDrive Folder and Win10 will pull that info down to the New system ? but maybe that only works if the same Surface? at least it seemed to work with my Surface 3 when M$ had to replace mine under Warranty a few months back.

KB

Kbird, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Migrate to new computer

1. Migrate to new computer - Similar Threads - Migrate computer

2. How to open files that were migrated from Windows 8 to new computer with Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to open files that were migrated from Windows 8 to new computer with Windows 11?: I copied my complete C to an external drive, then uploaded the drive to to my new computer with Windows 11 pre-installed.When I look under This PC, I see a file 8GD3v12_TOM which is apparently an INP file?, 1022 files, 1 folder, read only.How do I open this file, pick and...
  3. How to open files that were migrated from Windows 8 to new computer with Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to open files that were migrated from Windows 8 to new computer with Windows 11?: I copied my complete C to an external drive, then uploaded the drive to to my new computer with Windows 11 pre-installed.When I look under This PC, I see a file 8GD3v12_TOM which is apparently an INP file?, 1022 files, 1 folder, read only.How do I open this file, pick and...
  4. Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version: Hello Team There are 4 servers in the client environment. Processors in 2 of these servers are AMD EPYC 7452 2.35GHz/32-core/155W. ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus server The processors in the other two servers are AMD EPYC 7543 2.8GHz 32-core 225W. ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus v2...
  5. Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version

Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version: Hello Team There are 4 servers in the client environment. Processors in 2 of these servers are AMD EPYC 7452 2.35GHz/32-core/155W. ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus server The processors in the other two servers are AMD EPYC 7543 2.8GHz 32-core 225W. ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus v2...
  6. Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version: Hello Team,We have an installation problem with live migration in the different processors at Windows Server 2019 Hyper-v One of the processor is AMD EPYC 7452 2.35GHz/32-core/155W ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus server. The other processor is AMD EPYC 7543 2.8GHz 32-core 225W...
  7. Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version

Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version: Hello Team,We have an installation problem with live migration in the different processors at Windows Server 2019 Hyper-v One of the processor is AMD EPYC 7452 2.35GHz/32-core/155W ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus server. The other processor is AMD EPYC 7543 2.8GHz 32-core 225W...
  8. Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow: Hi, I just migrated my OS to my SSD witch has been in my system for years now, I then completely wiped my old HDD but kept it in my computer. Now my PC is running extremely slow, I've checked task manager, I've checked bios, I'm going to try and upgrade windows to windows 11...
  9. Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow

Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow: Hi, I just migrated my OS to my SSD witch has been in my system for years now, I then completely wiped my old HDD but kept it in my computer. Now my PC is running extremely slow, I've checked task manager, I've checked bios, I'm going to try and upgrade windows to windows 11...
  10. Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging