Windows 10: Migrate W10 Anniversary version to an upgraded PC?

Discus and support Migrate W10 Anniversary version to an upgraded PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two old systems running W10 with the Anniversary update applied. I want to upgrade the MB and Processor on these systems but don't want to buy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ken429, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Ken429 Win User

Migrate W10 Anniversary version to an upgraded PC?

I have two old systems running W10 with the Anniversary update applied. I want to upgrade the MB and Processor on these systems but don't want to buy yet another copy of Windows. The last time I ran into this issue the Microsoft CSR said I'd have to go back to the W8 CD/Key and go thru the updating process - W8, W8.1, W10, W10 update and now W10 Anniversary update. It seems Microsoft has a data base of where (MB and CPU) W10 is installed and does not like it when you try to update to new hardware with an update version of W10. I got the message that W10 was installed on another system and I needed to purchase a new key at activation time. Luckily, I had a "spare W8 key" and was able to get around the problem. Before I go buy a Linux Bible, is there a way to keep the W10 "key" from the old systems and migrate to newer hardware without having to spend many hours stepping thru the updates?

:)

Ken429, Aug 26, 2016
  2. czrsiNk Win User

Windows Spotlight Not Working / Apps not showing

Hi, I am just looking at a W10 install on a new laptop - it looks to me like the options I describe above are only available once you have upgraded to Anniversary edition.

Next to the text headings in 'Personalis(z)ation' are some monochrome icons - this is on my anniversary edition W10 install. The version I am now looking it does not have the icons next to the headings, therefore it must be a 'non' anniversary upgraded version
    of W10. Hence my guide may only be accessible if you have already upgraded to W10 anniversary edition.

HTH.

czrsiNk, Aug 26, 2016
  3. purchase license upgrade from windows 7 to 10 since if I upgrade now, VM will run only in Windows 10 host PC

So you are sure if upgrade now to w10 ... there will be No migration problem of w10 VM to the Mac host from windows host... correct?

Lse123polis, Aug 26, 2016
  4. Migrate W10 Anniversary version to an upgraded PC?

IMHO, the free upgrade is non transferable. It free for the life of that device. Buy a new device and you need to buy a new Windows 10 License. The free upgrade is officially over. Installing the original Windows 8 and then upgrading to 10 will likely leave you with an unactivated Windows 10 install. I say likely because unofficially, some systems are still getting the free upgrade.

You can clean install Windows 10 with a Windows 8 key. But as above, no guarantee it will activate.

alphanumeric, Aug 26, 2016
  5. Ken429 Win User
    Been there done that several times before the clock ran out on the free upgrade ...and... I've run out of W8 Pro Keys! I was hoping someone had found a way around the problem. Oh well, I put off Linux all these years but I have eight PC's running W10 Pro and I like to play with new hardware - I really don't want to give MSFT another ~$??? dollars for new W10 Pro Keys.

Ken429, Aug 26, 2016
  6. You'll spend $$$ on new hardware but refuse to spend $$$ on new software to go with it? Buy a full Retail Windows license and you can transfer it from PC to PC. problem solved.

alphanumeric, Aug 26, 2016
  7. AnEdge Win User
    Read this

http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-...%99s-hardware/

AnEdge, Aug 26, 2016
  8. Ken429 Win User

AnEdge,

Thanks for the information. I'll give it a try. MSFT must have had more that one person complaining and changed their approach with the Anniversary Update. Guess I'll wait to buy that Linux Bible!

Ken429, Aug 26, 2016
  9. alphanumeric, Aug 26, 2016
  10. alphanumeric, Aug 26, 2016
  11. I just re configured a new Core i5 HP CTO PC and added my formatted (now GPT ) SSD to boot windows insider builds for the daily driving OS .

I installed 14905 from the saved ESD and the other data I scraped out of my 6 yr old upgraded but still OEM mainboard AMD 6 core HP PC HDD with a fried main board and it activated fine on the new PC and my formatted SSD *but it did note a major HDWE change and just wanted me to confirm the PC name was what they had in the box and I did that and it worked fine .

All that might be another dialog and result either way but maybe still work somehow with a normally activated OS or upgrade licence if HTG is right and they recently revised the prior upgrade policy's to allow for a main board change or maybe a new PC build as long as you do not try it often on the same licence .

I read the thing at HTG AnEdge kindly posted here a short while back anticipating this and not wanting to start another Win Insider acct .

I was casually shopping the PC I just bought and bookmarked it before the old PC main board fried ,Imagine that *Smile I will fix it and do something with it though .

After reading all that I belive You should be fine on the OEM , retail biuld or upgrade licence you have now *Smile

electronuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Migrate W10 Anniversary version to an upgraded PC? - Similar Threads - Migrate W10 Anniversary

2. Migrate W10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrate W10 to SSD: Dear Sir/MadamHelloCurrently I have two HDD Drives W10 installed on one of them , the second one System image stored on it,Soon I will get another two SSD Drives "SATA or M2" , The question is how to connect both SSD Drives and HDD drives so I can restore system image to a...
  3. Migrate W10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate W10 to SSD: Dear Sir/MadamHelloCurrently I have two HDD Drives W10 installed on one of them , the second one System image stored on it,Soon I will get another two SSD Drives "SATA or M2" , The question is how to connect both SSD Drives and HDD drives so I can restore system image to a...
  4. Migrate W10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows anniversary version

Windows anniversary version: I have install windows 10 pro 1607 version for my pc. After install installation graphic card drivers not detect in computer manager and when i manually install graphics drivers then it will have error as follow , “this drivers not compatible with current windows version”. I...
  6. Upgrading PC and transfering W10

Upgrading PC and transfering W10: Hello ! I am quite a noob when it comes to PC but I learn fast ! Three years ago I had a custom built gaming PC delivered on which the compagny that built my PC installed W10, now I feel like some components deserve to be replaced, notably the Motherboard. I read that...
  7. Help migrating WinLiveMail for W10 upgrade

in Browsers and Email
    Help migrating WinLiveMail for W10 upgrade: I have a W7 pro x64 system here with Windows Live Mail, and I need help to make absolutely sure I do not lose email/contacts during the upgrade. I have tried exporting emails using the tutorial by Brink in sevenforums. However, it appears that I only get one folder in each of...
  8. Need activation key to update to Anniversary Upgrade W10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need activation key to update to Anniversary Upgrade W10: I never received a activation/product key for my version of W10 which was downloaded from the official Microsoft website over a year ago. How can I proceed to upgrade to the latest Anniversary update as I don`t have the required key/code. Thanks in advance. 58473
  9. Anniversary Upgrade W10 dual-boot license change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary Upgrade W10 dual-boot license change: I've read different threads/posts about Anniversary Upgrade license/activation changes/issues/questions. My situation is different than what I've read, so i created this thread as an fyi for anyone interested in multi-boot. Here's what happened for me with a multi-boot...
  10. Wrong version of Anniversary?

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong version of Anniversary?: I went to the nVidia website to download a new driver for my TITAN BLACK GPU, and it said there that my OS is Anniversary 32 bit! But on my computer, in SYSTEM INFORMATION, and in SPECCY, it says, WINDOWS 10 PRO, (which I'm supposed to have)! Can anybody tell me what's going...