Windows 10: Migrate Windows 10 data to ssd with Windows 10 already installed?

Discus and support Migrate Windows 10 data to ssd with Windows 10 already installed? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, Recently I bought an SSD and I have installed it into my desktop so I now have a 1 TB HDD and a 500GB SSD. I just finished installing Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rastus22, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Rastus22 Win User

Migrate Windows 10 data to ssd with Windows 10 already installed?

Hey,
    Recently I bought an SSD and I have installed it into my desktop so I now have a 1 TB HDD and a 500GB SSD. I just finished installing Windows 10 on my SSD. They are both being used at the moment. Does anybody know how I could have my settings migrated to the windows installation on my SSD? (Stuff like accounts, desktop etc).

All I really want is for my OS (and maybe some games with long loading times like fallout) to be on my SSD with all other programs running from my hdd. Right now I can run them but I want to have my desktop back, along with other things.

Thanks

:)

Rastus22, Mar 28, 2016
  2. Desired Win User

Windows 10 Reinstall on SSD

I bought a new SSD today, but I have already upgraded Windows 10 from Windows 7 on my old HDD.

I created an installation media USB and installed Windows 10 on my SSD, but I am unable to activate Windows 10 on my SSD with my Windows 7 key.

I do not have a disk or USB to install Windows 7 to do an upgrade to Windows 10 on my SSD.

I cannot migrate because I have a 256GB SSD, but I have 900GB of data on my HDD...

How to proceed?

Desired, Mar 28, 2016
  3. Windows 10 SSD data migaration

Hi,

we all are waiting for Samsung to publish Windows 10 update for Data Migration. You can make Samsung SSD working now by doing it longer way (formatting the SSD and doing it start up partition and so on), but why not wait couple days so that Samsung can publish
    new Windows 10 capable Data Migration version? I will wait...

Gnusmas_the_Gnu, Mar 28, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I'll tell you what I've just tried, FWIW, in a moment of inspiration (well, it solved my problem!).
    (I have an SSD and HDD in my laptop, as purchased, so my issue was how to get back to a working Win 10 configuration, not as yours, adding an SSD, but the procedure is appropriate to you)

Here's what I ended up doing as part of a longer sequence:

1. I already had a complete disk image of my Windows (and other partitions).
    2. On my SSD I deleted all partitions related to Windows installation
    3. I clean installed Win 10 on my SSD
    4. I restored my image of my previous Windows partition (from the SSD) to the new Windows partition (on the SSD).
    5. you should hide (cautious first step) the Windows partition on the HDD before rebooting else you get a choice of Windows to boot from!) - you can delete it later if all goes well.
    6. After an automatic repair sequence, I was back in business.

In your case, you would create an image of the Windows partition on your HDD and restore it to your SSD's Windows partition, ensuring the size was ok first.

That should let you boot to Windows and programs as per your HDD - but make sure the size is ok- your old 'C:' on your HDD might be bigger than your SSD.

In everything, back up.

So also make a system image of your SSD before starting all this, just in case.

For interest:
    Cloning to SSD - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Mar 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Migrate Windows 10 data to ssd with Windows 10 already installed? - Similar Threads - Migrate data ssd

2. migrate win 10 operating system to already installed SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    migrate win 10 operating system to already installed SSD: Hi, I have an ASUS laptop with win10 installed as as originally purchased. It has a 28GB hard drive, but this is now full and the machine is really slow, and cannot install windows updates. I've cleaned and compressed the c drive, but this has shown little improvement in...
  3. migrate win 10 operating system to already installed SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    migrate win 10 operating system to already installed SSD: Hi, I have an ASUS laptop with win10 installed as as originally purchased. It has a 28GB hard drive, but this is now full and the machine is really slow, and cannot install windows updates. I've cleaned and compressed the c drive, but this has shown little improvement in...
  4. migrate win 10 operating system to already installed SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Migrate Windows 10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate Windows 10 to SSD: Hi, I just bought a new Kingston A400 SSD for my new pc & want to install Windows 10 on it but the motherboard Asus Prime B660M-A Wifi D4 didn’t list SSD as bootable drive & it recognize the SSD in bios under AHCI mode. I use usb drive as window installer to install window on...
  6. Migrate Windows 10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrate Windows 10 to SSD: Hi, I just bought a new Kingston A400 SSD for my new pc & want to install Windows 10 on it but the motherboard Asus Prime B660M-A Wifi D4 didn’t list SSD as bootable drive & it recognize the SSD in bios under AHCI mode. I use usb drive as window installer to install window on...
  7. Migrate Windows 10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. MIGRATE WINDOWS 10 TO SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MIGRATE WINDOWS 10 TO SSD: Hi, I want to move windows 10 to a 120 GB SSD, but I have a 1 TB HDD, and I have used almost 80% of it. My plan is just to move windows 10 to the SSD and leave the HDD like it is. Is it possible?...
  9. is it okay to migrate windows 10 onto an ssd if i've already installed applications onto...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is it okay to migrate windows 10 onto an ssd if i've already installed applications onto...: i've recently bought a 1TB nvme ssd and was only planning on downloading games on it. but after a while people told me that moving the entire OS onto the ssd would speed up boot times not only for the PC, but for applications as well. thing is i've already installed a few...
  10. Install Windows 10 on SSD with data on it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Install Windows 10 on SSD with data on it: Hello, I currently have an SSD that I want to use to boot Windows 10. Currently I'm running W10 from my hard drive. How can I do a clean install of windows 10 on my SSD and keep all the data on it? I used the windows media creation tool to install W10 on my hard drive and I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. migrate from windows to another already installed

2. migrate windows 10 to ssd with windows already installed