Windows 10: Migrating from a Windows 10 pc to a Windows 8.1 PC?

Discus and support Migrating from a Windows 10 pc to a Windows 8.1 PC? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My sister lives in the same house with me, and her PC is about 12 years old, and getting pretty decrepit. BUT we recently "free upgraded" it to Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MamaBear, Aug 19, 2016.

1. MamaBear Win User

Migrating from a Windows 10 pc to a Windows 8.1 PC?

My sister lives in the same house with me, and her PC is about 12 years old, and getting pretty decrepit. BUT we recently "free upgraded" it to Windows 10.

So I spec'd out a newer one and today, we just bought her a nice refurbished ASUS AMD FX-8310 64-Bit with 8 GB, a 2 TB HDD, AMD Radeon R7 240 2 GB GPU and Windows 8.1. A $900 PC for around $400, plus a LED full HD 24" Asus monitor to match.

But now the question becomes, how to migrate her stuff from the old Windows 10 PC to the newer Windows 8.1 PC.

Is there a quick, easy and reliable way of doing this? Perhaps over a short ethernet cable?

:)

MamaBear, Aug 19, 2016

2. Migrating from one Win10 pc to a new Win10 pc

Does the free version of PC mover express allow what I am trying to do? Move everything from my old Win10 PC to my new Win10 PC without hassle? I need all applications also, not just data.

SteveK1124, Aug 19, 2016
  3. Migrating from one Win10 pc to a new Win10 pc

Hi Steve,

Did you check using PC mover Express? Does this helps you in moving all your data's and settings?

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Aug 19, 2016
  4. skcusime Win User

MamaBear, you can only "migrate" data, not programs. They will need to be installed on the new computer.
    Data, that is text files, documents, photos, videos, mp3s etc can be copied or moved by connecting both computers to a new network either wirelessly or connecting both to the same router by ethernet.

skcusime, Aug 19, 2016
  5. revmike Win User
    Yes you can move programs, but you need PC Mover from Cleverbridge and a USB transfer cable to do it.

revmike, Aug 19, 2016
  6. MamaBear Win User
    But can that move them from a Windows 10 to a Windows 8 PC?

MamaBear, Aug 19, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would upgrade the new computer to Windows 10 while Microsoft is still doing unofficial free upgrades. As long as the old computer and new computer are the same version of Windows 10, then you just move the entire Windows 10 from the old computer to the new computer, programs and data included. You will get a screen on the first startup that says detecting hardware and then be on your way.

NavyLCDR, Aug 19, 2016
  8. MamaBear Win User

We don't even want to taint the new one, or botch it up with Windows 10.

What we MAY do, come to think of it, is revert the old one, which has had Windows 10 since 7-24, back to Win 7.

Then, will it move things better, to 8.1?

MamaBear, Aug 19, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    The option to revert back to Windows 7 will only be available for a couple more days if you upgraded it on July 24, 2016. Then if the Windows 7 is the same version of Windows as the new Windows 8.1 you might be able to move it over to the new computer and have it work just enough to upgrade it to Windows 8.1.

NavyLCDR, Aug 19, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    No - basically you need paid programs line pcmover, pctrans or zinstall to move programs. Going backwards is worse than forwards even if you use such tools as they can react badly with old drivers.

In summary - just reinstall programs from scratch.

cereberus, Aug 19, 2016
  11. revmike Win User
    I've moved programs from win 8 to 10 without any problems, but upgrading from win 8 to 10 then transfer is what I would do.

revmike, Aug 19, 2016
  12. MamaBear Win User
    This sounds like it could make a real mess either way. Her PC is relatively simple compared to mine. If any of you are familiar with my thread at WTF just happened?! - Windows 10 Forums

If I wind up getting an 8.1 PC after her, what a mess it sounds like.

MamaBear, Aug 19, 2016
  13. MamaBear Win User

I just picked up a NEW one of these for myself, on Ebay - 100% seller with Ebay buyer guarantee:

ASUS M32BC-B01 Part Number 90PD0171-M00090 Type Student/Home office Form Factor Tower

Usage Consumer Colors Black
    ProcessorAMD FX-8310 3.4 GHz

Processor Main Features 64 bit 8-Core Processor

Cache Per Processor 8 MB L3 Cache

Memory 8 GB DDR3 1600

Storage 2 TB SATA 7200 RPM

Optical Drive

SuperMulti DVD RW

Graphics AMD Radeon R7 240 2 GB

Ethernet

Gigabit Ethernet

Power Supply 300W

Operating System Windows 8.1 64-Bit

CPU Type

AMD FX-Series
    CPU Speed FX-8310 (3.40 GHz)

L3 Cache Per CPU 8 MB

CPU Main Features 64 bit 8-Core Processor

GPU/VGA Type AMD Radeon R7 240 2 GB

Memory Capacity 8 GB DDR3

Memory Speed DDR3 1600

Memory Slot (Total)2

Now all I need to figure out is how to get my old now-Windows 10 PC over to it. I think I have 2 more days to revert to Win 7, if I want to take that chance.

MamaBear, Aug 21, 2016
  14. Wynona Win User
    First, I have to ask, are you Mama Bear from Commodore days?

A 300W power supply seems pretty light; I think mine is 450W.

If the old computer came with an OEM license and you upgraded to Windows 10, it's for the life of that computer and cannot be transferred to another one. However, if it's a Retail license you may be able to do it, but will probably have to call Microsoft to get the job done.

Probably the cheapest way to do your transfer is with the Easy Transfer Cable. Buy Easy Computer Sync - Bravura Software

Wynona, Aug 21, 2016
  15. MamaBear Win User
    No, I started computing with MSDOS. *Tongue

I have a UPS and this present tower PC never draws more than about 120 watts.

I actually want to go back to previous versions. ( see thread ) I started with 7 and upgraded to 10 on July 24th but have had some VERY SCARY problems with it, about a week ago. That's why I bought the 8.1 system. So the question is, how to revert to 7, then move it to the 8.1 system. IF that's not too dangerous!

MamaBear, Aug 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Migrating from a Windows 10 pc to a Windows 8.1 PC? - Similar Threads - Migrating

2. migrate from win10 pro old pc to win11 pro new pc preinstalled with win11home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    migrate from win10 pro old pc to win11 pro new pc preinstalled with win11home: i have win10 pro on my old laptop that hw-incapable of supporting tpm 2.0; now i have new laptop preinstalled with win11 home. how do i upgrade the latter to win11pro for free that i couldn't on former laptop?...
  3. migrate from win10 pro old pc to win11 pro new pc preinstalled with win11home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    migrate from win10 pro old pc to win11 pro new pc preinstalled with win11home: i have win10 pro on my old laptop that hw-incapable of supporting tpm 2.0; now i have new laptop preinstalled with win11 home. how do i upgrade the latter to win11pro for free that i couldn't on former laptop?...
  4. Can Existing Windows 11 Pro devices be migrated to Windows 11 IoT?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Existing Windows 11 Pro devices be migrated to Windows 11 IoT?: We have a large network of devices with local admin accounts dedicated to a specific application. The goal is to prevent the bloatware from interrupting this application as it frequently does, as well as notices to sign into a Microsoft Online account, which we do not want to...
  5. Can Existing Windows 11 Pro devices be migrated to Windows 11 IoT?

Can Existing Windows 11 Pro devices be migrated to Windows 11 IoT?: We have a large network of devices with local admin accounts dedicated to a specific application. The goal is to prevent the bloatware from interrupting this application as it frequently does, as well as notices to sign into a Microsoft Online account, which we do not want to...
  6. Does SSD migration impact reagentc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does SSD migration impact reagentc?: Hello, My issue I have managed to resolve already but wanted some more information on where I may have gone wrong for future reference. I recently purchased a used gaming laptop which I then installed my previously purchased windows 11 pro on to. Soon there after I migrated...
  7. Does SSD migration impact reagentc?

Does SSD migration impact reagentc?: Hello, My issue I have managed to resolve already but wanted some more information on where I may have gone wrong for future reference. I recently purchased a used gaming laptop which I then installed my previously purchased windows 11 pro on to. Soon there after I migrated...
  8. Migration from Windows Family to Windows Pro for a small Business

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migration from Windows Family to Windows Pro for a small Business: I am in a small business, and I have multiple Windows devices, the problem is that all of them are in a Windows Family edition, and I want to migrate them to Windows Business. I have the licenses, but I want to do it with an MDM solution or something to deploy it once for all...
  9. Migration from Windows Family to Windows Pro for a small Business

Migration from Windows Family to Windows Pro for a small Business: I am in a small business, and I have multiple Windows devices, the problem is that all of them are in a Windows Family edition, and I want to migrate them to Windows Business. I have the licenses, but I want to do it with an MDM solution or something to deploy it once for all...
  10. Migrating an entire data disk from Win 10 to Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating an entire data disk from Win 10 to Win 11: I have searched but cannot spot an answer to the same situation as mine. Sorry if I missed one :- Anyhow - Here it is. I have a new desktop PC running Windows 11. My old desktop was windows 10 with a 500Gb system disk and a 2Tb data disk. I have thought about how best to...