Windows 10: Migrating from Windows 10 to Windows 10

Discus and support Migrating from Windows 10 to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently purchased a new desktop computer, with Windows 10 pre-installed. What is the best way to migrate my files from my old desktop, which was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KelvinF, Feb 17, 2017.

1. KelvinF Win User

Migrating from Windows 10 to Windows 10

Recently purchased a new desktop computer, with Windows 10 pre-installed. What is the best way to migrate my files from my old desktop, which was upgraded to Windows 10?

:)

KelvinF, Feb 17, 2017

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Feb 17, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Feb 17, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. What files docs photo etc or apps? photos etc just save to onedrive or google drive they will appear on new pc on their own

Samuria, Feb 17, 2017
  5. KelvinF Win User
    Yes, files like that, but also email (Outlook 10), and personalization, preferences, etc.

Frankly, I'm a bit of a Luddite, and don't trust the cloud for storage of files that contain personal data, so I rarely use OneDrive or google, except to store raw forms without data.

I'm thinking about using the local network for the transfer, but was hoping for some way to aggregate the relevant files for a simple transfer.

KelvinF, Feb 17, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Make an image of the old desktop OS partition using Macrium Reflect Free onto an external hard drive. Boot the new desktop from a Macrium Reflect rescue drive. Restore the old desktop OS partition over the top of the new desktop OS partition (might want to back that up first, as it's going to get erased.) Run the fix Windows startup utility in Macrium reflect. That way EVERYTHING would be transferred over.

You could also physically move the old desktop hard drive to the new computer, connecting it as a second drive and set up dual booting.

NavyLCDR, Feb 17, 2017
  7. KelvinF Win User
    Thank you.

I was hoping for something a little simpler, but since MS dropped the WET, we don't do anything nice and simple anymore.

KelvinF, Feb 17, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

Just hook your old drive to the new system and copy away *Smile Do it in small batches and verify before moving on.

AddRAM, Feb 17, 2017
  9. asusG Win User
    @KelvinF , NavyLCDR is the best way to do it *Smile

asusG, Feb 17, 2017
  10. AddRAM Win User
    Why would he want to put an old image over his brand new OS ?

And he never mentioned anything about creating a dual boot.

He just wants his data.

AddRAM, Feb 17, 2017
  11. Winuser Win User
    Easy way to get all their programs, files and settings on the new computer. If it's the same version of Windows activation should be automatic.

Winuser, Feb 17, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    To transfer everything.

NavyLCDR, Feb 17, 2017
  13. KelvinF Win User

Thanks for continuing the discussion. I'm willing to reinstall all the major apps, in fact, I planned to, but what files in Outlook 10, for instance, do I need to grab for my email, contacts and calendar?

KelvinF, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Migrating from Windows 10 to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Migrating

2. Migrate win 10 pro license ...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrate win 10 pro license ...: from a physical PC to a VM running an identical (identity wise) win 10 pro (domain, node name, IP address). Is that allowed by MS? submitted by /u/andersostling56 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lt302z/migrate_win_10_pro_license/
  3. New computer... migrate Windows Live mail to Windows 10 Mail app

in Browsers and Email
    New computer... migrate Windows Live mail to Windows 10 Mail app: I'm doing an upgrade on my mother in laws computer. New mainboard, etc... She was running Windows 10 Pro 64bit, upgraded in place from Windows 7 Pro 64bit. She was using Windows Live Mail as her email client. Now that we have a fresh installation of Windows 10, I find that...
  4. ISO guide for migrating to a new PC

in Windows 10 Support
    ISO guide for migrating to a new PC: Hello Hello! I'm finally retiring my Core 2 Duo that I built almost 15 years ago. Yeah, about that ... The amount of stuff I've accumulated in 15 year and the amount of software and settings. It's alot and who really wants to go through it all and reclick tickboxes and...
  5. Xbox Wireless Adapter "Device Not Migrated"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Xbox Wireless Adapter "Device Not Migrated": Hoping to get some help with this. Have a previous post on this but have made progress. I have an Xbox wireless adapter that keeps disconnecting from my controller literally 3 ft away and it seems to be a migration thing? I can't seem to fix "device not migrated due to...
  6. HDD "device not migrated" after second m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD "device not migrated" after second m.2 nvme: [ATTACH]Hi, ive installed a second M.2 NVME drive into my x570 MSI Gaming Edge board to replace 2 old Samsung EVO ssd´s and now my WD Black 1tb HDD is not in explorer but is in device manager->Disk Drives and is giving this error in Disk management events. Things i have...
  7. Microsoft LifeCam VX-800 - Microphone not Work Due to Some Migration? WHAT???

Microsoft LifeCam VX-800 - Microphone not Work Due to Some Migration? WHAT???: Device is Still Not Migrated. The device was manufactured from Microsoft. People all over the World, white and black pray to Microsoft. Asking Bill Gates to fixed unfixing bug from 5 years ago. Or at least to do something and not to allow this kind of devices to work any...
  8. Microphone driver problem "Device Not Migrated"

Microphone driver problem "Device Not Migrated": Hello, My microphone is not working, I have searched online and tried multiple solutions but I can't make it work. The microphone record sound but at very very low volume. [ATTACH] Thanks in advance for any ideas....
  9. Speeding up Laptop by Migrating Windows 10 to SSD with a freeware?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Speeding up Laptop by Migrating Windows 10 to SSD with a freeware?: I just bought a Laptop Dell Inspiron 3505 it comes with pre-installed Windows 10 on its HDD which is 1 TB and its extremely slow to boot up and load things So I bought a Kingston 250GB SSD and installed it. Now I need some guidance in order to SHIFT windows 10 to SSD in order...
  10. USB Device Not Migrated Due to Partial Or Ambiguous Match

USB Device Not Migrated Due to Partial Or Ambiguous Match: Hello, I have a USB camera which suddenly stopped working with my Windows 10 desktop, after several months of working just fine. The camera now shows up in Device Manager as "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed". I think a recent Windows Update might be to...