Windows 10: Migrating from Windows 10 to Windows 10

Discus and support Migrating from Windows 10 to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently purchased a new desktop computer, with Windows 10 pre-installed. What is the best way to migrate my files from my old desktop, which was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KelvinF, Feb 17, 2017.

1. KelvinF Win User

Migrating from Windows 10 to Windows 10

Recently purchased a new desktop computer, with Windows 10 pre-installed. What is the best way to migrate my files from my old desktop, which was upgraded to Windows 10?

:)

KelvinF, Feb 17, 2017

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Feb 17, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Feb 17, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. What files docs photo etc or apps? photos etc just save to onedrive or google drive they will appear on new pc on their own

Samuria, Feb 17, 2017
  5. KelvinF Win User
    Yes, files like that, but also email (Outlook 10), and personalization, preferences, etc.

Frankly, I'm a bit of a Luddite, and don't trust the cloud for storage of files that contain personal data, so I rarely use OneDrive or google, except to store raw forms without data.

I'm thinking about using the local network for the transfer, but was hoping for some way to aggregate the relevant files for a simple transfer.

KelvinF, Feb 17, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Make an image of the old desktop OS partition using Macrium Reflect Free onto an external hard drive. Boot the new desktop from a Macrium Reflect rescue drive. Restore the old desktop OS partition over the top of the new desktop OS partition (might want to back that up first, as it's going to get erased.) Run the fix Windows startup utility in Macrium reflect. That way EVERYTHING would be transferred over.

You could also physically move the old desktop hard drive to the new computer, connecting it as a second drive and set up dual booting.

NavyLCDR, Feb 17, 2017
  7. KelvinF Win User
    Thank you.

I was hoping for something a little simpler, but since MS dropped the WET, we don't do anything nice and simple anymore.

KelvinF, Feb 17, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

Just hook your old drive to the new system and copy away *Smile Do it in small batches and verify before moving on.

AddRAM, Feb 17, 2017
  9. asusG Win User
    @KelvinF , NavyLCDR is the best way to do it *Smile

asusG, Feb 17, 2017
  10. AddRAM Win User
    Why would he want to put an old image over his brand new OS ?

And he never mentioned anything about creating a dual boot.

He just wants his data.

AddRAM, Feb 17, 2017
  11. Winuser Win User
    Easy way to get all their programs, files and settings on the new computer. If it's the same version of Windows activation should be automatic.

Winuser, Feb 17, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    To transfer everything.

NavyLCDR, Feb 17, 2017
  13. KelvinF Win User

Thanks for continuing the discussion. I'm willing to reinstall all the major apps, in fact, I planned to, but what files in Outlook 10, for instance, do I need to grab for my email, contacts and calendar?

KelvinF, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Migrating from Windows 10 to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Migrating

2. Migrating an entire data disk from Win 10 to Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating an entire data disk from Win 10 to Win 11: I have searched but cannot spot an answer to the same situation as mine. Sorry if I missed one :- Anyhow - Here it is. I have a new desktop PC running Windows 11. My old desktop was windows 10 with a 500Gb system disk and a 2Tb data disk. I have thought about how best to...
  3. Migrating an entire data disk from Win 10 to Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrating an entire data disk from Win 10 to Win 11: I have searched but cannot spot an answer to the same situation as mine. Sorry if I missed one :- Anyhow - Here it is. I have a new desktop PC running Windows 11. My old desktop was windows 10 with a 500Gb system disk and a 2Tb data disk. I have thought about how best to...
  4. Where has the setting for the dialog box "Sound - Identify Device" migrated to in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where has the setting for the dialog box "Sound - Identify Device" migrated to in Windows 11?: I'm looking to manually change what my laptop treats the device plugged into the audio jack as. I want to do the same thing that is described in the link below, but the setting has migrated somewhere in Windows 11 and I can't find...
  5. Where has the setting for the dialog box "Sound - Identify Device" migrated to in Windows 11?

Where has the setting for the dialog box "Sound - Identify Device" migrated to in Windows 11?: I'm looking to manually change what my laptop treats the device plugged into the audio jack as. I want to do the same thing that is described in the link below, but the setting has migrated somewhere in Windows 11 and I can't find...
  6. What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?: I installed a new nVME m.2 SSD in my HP laptop and I then migrated the Windows data from HDD to SSD. I also changed the boot order from HDD to SSD. But now there exists a 200 GB Windows file in my HDD which is the old Windows boot file.Can anyone tell me If I can delete this...
  7. What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?

What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?: I installed a new nVME m.2 SSD in my HP laptop and I then migrated the Windows data from HDD to SSD. I also changed the boot order from HDD to SSD. But now there exists a 200 GB Windows file in my HDD which is the old Windows boot file.Can anyone tell me If I can delete this...
  8. Problem with USB ports "Device not migrated" since last Windows Update 23H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with USB ports "Device not migrated" since last Windows Update 23H2: I'm writing this out of desperation after hours of trying to solve the problem.Since the 23H2 update, my USB ports no longer work properly. The problem is basically a power problem, because it recognizes the devices but is unable to make them work properly.When I look at the...
  9. Problem with USB ports "Device not migrated" since last Windows Update 23H2

Problem with USB ports "Device not migrated" since last Windows Update 23H2: I'm writing this out of desperation after hours of trying to solve the problem.Since the 23H2 update, my USB ports no longer work properly. The problem is basically a power problem, because it recognizes the devices but is unable to make them work properly.When I look at the...
  10. DEVICE DISK DRIVE IS NOT MIGRATING AFTER UPDATED WINDOWS.

DEVICE DISK DRIVE IS NOT MIGRATING AFTER UPDATED WINDOWS.: Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 10-02-2024 12:29:39 Event ID: 442 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: WIN-JLA9VFUHSHA Description: Device settings for...