Windows 10: Migrating to new computers

Discus and support Migrating to new computers in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We need to migrate our data and programs to new computers. One source computer runs XP, the other runs Win 10 Pro x64 (winver 1703); both destination... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Newmaven, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Newmaven Win User

Migrating to new computers

We need to migrate our data and programs to new computers. One source computer runs XP, the other runs Win 10 Pro x64 (winver 1703); both destination computers run Win 10 Pro x64.

What's the best way to go about it? I understand there is software designed to help.

:)

Newmaven, Jul 13, 2017

2. Migrated to new computer

As far as I know, it is not possible to migrate partnerships (correct me if I am wrong).

Every partnership has a unique ID which is placed in several locations like the registry.

I think you would be a lot quicker making a new partnership instead of looking for the old one. This requires in-depth knowledge of the registry. There is at least no easy way for it.

Mark Briggeman, Jul 13, 2017
  3. migrate to new computer

Hi Paul,

Microsoft has partnered with Laplink to bring you PCmover Express. It is a tool for transferring selected files, folders, and more
    from your old Windows PC to your new Windows 10 PC.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Jul 13, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Well, the old computer already running Windows 10 is easy, just clone the HDD to the new computer. Windows 10 is very good at picking up new hardware. Make sure to change the computer name after the cloning.

The XP computer is going to be much more difficult. I would look at creating a backup image of it, then upgrading it to Windows 7, then upgrading it again to Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Jul 13, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    I think upgrading to 7, then 10 from XP will be very difficult and probably lead to an unstable install. Also, you would need to upgrade from XP to a version of 7 that can be upgraded to 10 pro.

Frankly, a clean install would be easier.

cereberus, Jul 13, 2017
  6. Newmaven Win User
    By "clean install," I presume you mean reinstalling all her applications (and their data) from scratch? (The OS is already on the computer.)

Newmaven, Jul 13, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Migrating to new computers - Similar Threads - Migrating computers

2. How to open files that were migrated from Windows 8 to new computer with Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to open files that were migrated from Windows 8 to new computer with Windows 11?: I copied my complete C to an external drive, then uploaded the drive to to my new computer with Windows 11 pre-installed.When I look under This PC, I see a file 8GD3v12_TOM which is apparently an INP file?, 1022 files, 1 folder, read only.How do I open this file, pick and...
  3. How to open files that were migrated from Windows 8 to new computer with Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to open files that were migrated from Windows 8 to new computer with Windows 11?: I copied my complete C to an external drive, then uploaded the drive to to my new computer with Windows 11 pre-installed.When I look under This PC, I see a file 8GD3v12_TOM which is apparently an INP file?, 1022 files, 1 folder, read only.How do I open this file, pick and...
  4. Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version: Hello Team There are 4 servers in the client environment. Processors in 2 of these servers are AMD EPYC 7452 2.35GHz/32-core/155W. ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus server The processors in the other two servers are AMD EPYC 7543 2.8GHz 32-core 225W. ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus v2...
  5. Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version

Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version: Hello Team There are 4 servers in the client environment. Processors in 2 of these servers are AMD EPYC 7452 2.35GHz/32-core/155W. ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus server The processors in the other two servers are AMD EPYC 7543 2.8GHz 32-core 225W. ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus v2...
  6. Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version: Hello Team,We have an installation problem with live migration in the different processors at Windows Server 2019 Hyper-v One of the processor is AMD EPYC 7452 2.35GHz/32-core/155W ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus server. The other processor is AMD EPYC 7543 2.8GHz 32-core 225W...
  7. Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version

Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version: Hello Team,We have an installation problem with live migration in the different processors at Windows Server 2019 Hyper-v One of the processor is AMD EPYC 7452 2.35GHz/32-core/155W ProLiant DL385 Gen10 Plus server. The other processor is AMD EPYC 7543 2.8GHz 32-core 225W...
  8. Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow: Hi, I just migrated my OS to my SSD witch has been in my system for years now, I then completely wiped my old HDD but kept it in my computer. Now my PC is running extremely slow, I've checked task manager, I've checked bios, I'm going to try and upgrade windows to windows 11...
  9. Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow

Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow: Hi, I just migrated my OS to my SSD witch has been in my system for years now, I then completely wiped my old HDD but kept it in my computer. Now my PC is running extremely slow, I've checked task manager, I've checked bios, I'm going to try and upgrade windows to windows 11...
  10. Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging