Windows 10: Migrating to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Migrating to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently purchased a HP Pavilion 15-ak099nr Signature Edition Gaming Laptop from the Microsoft store. It comes with the Windows 10 Home OS.*cry I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gvlral, Dec 11, 2015.

1. gvlral Win User

Migrating to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home

I recently purchased a HP Pavilion 15-ak099nr Signature Edition Gaming Laptop from the Microsoft store. It comes with the Windows 10 Home OS.*cry I have Windows 10 Pro running on another system that I want to retire. How can I migrate the Windows 10 Pro to the New Laptop.

I thought about doing a clean install of Windows 8 Pro then doing the free Windows 10 Pro upgrade. Can anyone think of why this shouldn't work?

:)

gvlral, Dec 11, 2015
  2. Keng612 Win User

How do I migrate a Windows 10 user profile to another new Windows 10 PC?

I already have a computer and laptop that I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

I Just bought a new computer with Windows 10 Pro, and want to migrate my user profile from my existing Windows 10 Pro computer to the new computer so I have all my files and settings setup for the new machine.

It seems MS doesn't have have Windows Easy Transfer anymore for Windows 10, so how can I do this now?

A Windows 10 to Windows 10 user profile migration solution needs to be addressed not just for home users, but for corporate IT staff as well. What if I need to backup and restore user profiles from one PC to another PC if both are running Windows 10?

Please do not answer with solutions for migrating Windows XP, 7, or 8 user profiles to Windows 10. This is strictly a Windows 10 to Windows 10 transfer/migration.

Keng612, Dec 11, 2015
  3. Theo_685 Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade and activation after computer repair

Thanks for your input Stuart. I have resolved the problem by going back to Windows 7 and migrating up to Windows 10 Home. This has worked well and I am satisfied. Maybe later I can purchase an upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro.

Theo_685, Dec 11, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

That will work, but if you have your Windows 8 Pro product key there is a much easier way.

Trigger the upgrade to pro by changing the product key on the Settings, Update & Security, Activation screen to the generic Windows 10 Pro product key:
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Once the upgrade is finished, you will have a non-activated Windows 10 Pro. Activate it by going to the same activation screen and changing the product key to your Windows 8 Pro product key.

This is assuming two things:

1. You are on Windows 10 version 1511, build 10586, also known as the November fall update.
    2. Your Windows 10 Pro product key is a retail product key transferable to other computers and not an OEM product key.

If you are on build 10240 Windows 10 then you won't be able to activate it by simply entering the Windows 8 Pro product key. If your Windows 8 Pro product key is OEM - the process will still probably work, but will be illegal (against the EULA) to do so.

NavyLCDR, Dec 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Migrating to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Migrating Pro Home

2. Migrate from Windows 10 pro Enterprise

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrate from Windows 10 pro Enterprise: A client has a laptop that was issued by her employer - the company no longer exists.Its running windows 10 pro enterprise and she does not have admin level access.Should she buy and install Windows 10 Pro to get admin access, and can this be done without losing installed...
  3. Migrate from Windows 10 pro Enterprise

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate from Windows 10 pro Enterprise: A client has a laptop that was issued by her employer - the company no longer exists.Its running windows 10 pro enterprise and she does not have admin level access.Should she buy and install Windows 10 Pro to get admin access, and can this be done without losing installed...
  4. Migrate from Windows 10 pro Enterprise

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 pro activation failed during migrating from pre-installed windows 10 home

Windows 10 pro activation failed during migrating from pre-installed windows 10 home: Hi,I was using pre-installed Windows 10 Home but I want to use Windows 10 pro. I have tried several methods as per below,1. Got back from windows 11 home to 10 home and inserted product key that didn't work. Followed the solution where I had to put a general product key to...
  6. Migrating from Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating from Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro: My laptop has Windows 10 Enterprise on it from a previous organization. We no longer have a connection to that organization and my license is expiring. How to I move to Windows 10 Pro? Is it as simply as purchasing a license and giving that activation key? Where should I get...
  7. Migrating from Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrating from Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro: My laptop has Windows 10 Enterprise on it from a previous organization. We no longer have a connection to that organization and my license is expiring. How to I move to Windows 10 Pro? Is it as simply as purchasing a license and giving that activation key? Where should I get...
  8. Migrating from Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Pro

9. how to migrate back to windows 10 Home from Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to migrate back to windows 10 Home from Windows 10 Pro: I was having HP world installed Windows 10 Home which was installed by them during purchase on HP Laptop 150b series. later being a registered on Windows insider, I get prompt to upgrade to windows 10 Pro and mistakenly upgraded to Pro, now PC is not getting activated using...
  10. Migrating Windows 10 Home from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating Windows 10 Home from HDD to SSD: Hey guys, i've got an ssd waiting to be used. I was wondering how can i install windows 10 home on the ssd, switch my actual hdd with the ssd, and also keep my licence of the windows on the ssd too. 20294