Windows 10: Migrating Windows 10 Home from HDD to SSD

Discus and support Migrating Windows 10 Home from HDD to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey guys, i've got an ssd waiting to be used. I was wondering how can i install windows 10 home on the ssd, switch my actual hdd with the ssd, and also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CuriousOne, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Migrating Windows 10 Home from HDD to SSD

Hey guys, i've got an ssd waiting to be used. I was wondering how can i install windows 10 home on the ssd, switch my actual hdd with the ssd, and also keep my licence of the windows on the ssd too.

:)

CuriousOne, Aug 30, 2015

2. Migrating Win10 OEM Upgrade from HDD to SSD

I recently helped a friend with OEM Windows 7 Home Premium on his laptop upgrade to Windows 10. All went well with no probs - so laptop is currently running Windows 10 OEM.

He now wants to swap out the single HDD for a Samsung 850 Evo SSD. Can I simply migrate the HDD to the SSD, and then swap the SSD for the HDD - and Windows 10 OEM will still be activated?

I did something similar with my laptop (running Win10 Retail, upgraded from Win8.1 retail), using the Samsung migration software.

Will a similar job work with Win10 OEM?

Thanks for any help/advice.

HenryHonda, Aug 30, 2015
  3. Conversion to Windows 10

I converted from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional. I then migrated Windows 10 from an HDD to an SSD. I kept the HDD for data files. I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 clean, which cleaned everything from the SSD. There is a system
    Volume Information folder on the SSD and it is about 6gb. I still have a System Volume Information folder on the HDD and it is 48gb. I also keep the Window Image Backup on the HDD and it appears to be in its own folder (WindowsImageBackup) and is 26gb. The
    apps (programs) are kept on the SSD along with the operating system. Can I delete the System Volume Information folder from the HDD? I feel it is a leftover from when the system was migrated over to the SSD from the HDD. Any assistance is appreciated.

Mike Hessel, Aug 30, 2015
  4. Steve C Win User

Migrating Windows 10 Home from HDD to SSD

I recently moved a Windows 8.1 system from a HDD to SSD. See my guide http://www.eightforums.com/installat...s-hdd-ssd.html

The same procedure should work for Windows 10. Ensure you backup your system first - but this is one of the steps in the transfer process.

Steve C, Aug 30, 2015
  5. lvgandhi Win User
    lvgandhi, Aug 31, 2015
  6. With the Win10 upgrade, the license is associated with the hardware mix, not a product key. Once Win10 is activated on the PC, you can switch out the HDD for an SSD with no problems -- I know because I did this myself.

Mark Phelps, Sep 1, 2015
  7. Thank you very much guys. chrunus i will use your tutorial. easy and simple. my biggest fear was that i will lose my licence of the windows once i migrate from hdd to ssd.

CuriousOne, Sep 1, 2015
  8. Lennart Win User

Sounds wonderful! Could you elaborate please??

Lennart, Oct 29, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10, a digital license for Windows 10 is created. The digital license is stored on Microsoft Activation Servers paired with a unique Hardware ID of the computer it came from. The Hardware ID is calculated by Windows 10 each time it boots up and is derived almost 100% of unique information identifying the specific motherboard, such as Make/Model and most important, serial number.

After the Hardware ID is calculated by Windows 10, it is compared to the Hardware ID associated with the digital license stored on that local Windows 10 installation. If the Hardware ID is the same - Windows 10 stays activated. If the Hardware ID is different - the Windows 10 was moved to a new computer, or the motherboard was replaced - then Windows will deactivate itself. The deactivated Windows 10 (or a never before activated install of Windows 10, such as a clean install) will contact Microsoft Activation servers and send the Hardware ID. The Microsoft Activation server then searches for a stored digital license for Windows 10 that matches the Hardware ID. If it is found - and if the license is for the same version of Windows 10 that is asking for it, then the activation code is returned and Windows 10 activates itself. If no match is found, then an error is generated that no digital license for Windows 10 can be found.

So - move Windows 10 from an HDD to an SSD in the same computer, on the same motherboard, and the calculated Hardware ID does not change because it is almost 100% associated with the motherboard. Windows 10 will not deactivate itself.

NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2016
  10. Lennart Win User
    Thank you so much for taking the time and explaining! I am going to upgrade my computer, first replacing the harddrive with an ssd, I guess this will not give me any problems even if I do a clean install with windows 10 from usb. However, after that I plan to change the mobo, will it then still recognize the hardware ID? I was planning on keeping the same harddrive, if possible.

Many thanks again for your time!

Lennart, Oct 29, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Replace the motherboard and Windows 10 will deactivate itself. Before replacing the motherboard, make sure your digital license for Windows 10 is associated with a Microsoft Account:
    Microsoft Account - Link to Digital License on Windows 10 PC - Windows 10 Forums

Replace the motherboard, login to the same Microsoft Account, run the Activation Troubleshooter and you should be able to transfer your digital license to the new motherboard:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...troubleshooter

NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2016
  12. Lennart Win User
    This was extremely helpful, thank you so much!!

Lennart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Migrating Windows 10 Home from HDD to SSD - Similar Threads - Migrating Home HDD

2. windows migration from HDD to SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows migration from HDD to SSD.: Hello,i buyed a laptop with an HDD and i want to know if that is it possible to make a transfer of my operating system from that Hard Disk to another SSD that i already buyed it and assemble it to my laptop . To know that my windows 10 has a digital activation included with...
  3. windows migration from HDD to SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows migration from HDD to SSD.: Hello,i buyed a laptop with an HDD and i want to know if that is it possible to make a transfer of my operating system from that Hard Disk to another SSD that i already buyed it and assemble it to my laptop . To know that my windows 10 has a digital activation included with...
  4. windows migration from HDD to SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Migrating to SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating to SSD from HDD: Hello there, A few years back, I purchased a Lenovo Y470 Laptop with a preinstalled Microsoft Windows 7 Home Edition which was then updated to Windows 10 Home Edition. Now, my laptop has gotten very low in speed and I want to replace the HDD with an SSD drive keeping both...
  6. Migrating from HDD to SSD

Migrating from HDD to SSD: How to check if i have completely migrated from my HDD to SSD. I actually have done it about a year back. The laptop is running fine. BUt i cannot access my bios. Also cannot create recovery disc. Finally can i delete old windows files taking up space in my HDD....
  7. Migrating Windows 10 from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating Windows 10 from HDD to SSD: Hello, I am wondering if I just could migrate just my OS to an SSD doing the migrating process. I don't want to copy my whole HDD to my new SSD. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-windows-10-from-hdd-to-ssd/411f6021-060f-4c04-84ff-9717fdf94012"
  8. Migrating from Hdd to ssd

Migrating from Hdd to ssd: Migrating from Hdd to ssd Hi , i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ????i need secure and easy software...
  9. Migrating from HDd to ssd

Migrating from HDd to ssd: Hi , i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-from-hdd-to-ssd/c2565ea0-ce8a-44b6-a828-e7cdbffa73f6
  10. Migration from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migration from hdd to ssd: Windows 10 is currently on a 1.5 Tb hdd that is almost full. I want to purchase an ssd to use as the boot/system drive. I do not want to shell out for a large sdd. I do not want to do a fresh install of windows unless I can save all of my settings and not have to reinstall...