Windows 10: Migration vs Clone to New PC

Discus and support Migration vs Clone to New PC in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, For the last couple months I've been trying to fix file corruption issues that occurred from a failing local HDD. It's taken a huge... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by BretMan, Nov 7, 2016.

1. BretMan Win User

Migration vs Clone to New PC

Hello Everyone,

For the last couple months I've been trying to fix file corruption issues that occurred from a failing local HDD. It's taken a huge amount of my time but the shorter story is I was finally able to clone the failing HDD, then replace it with a new one. Just a few system files seems to have gotten corrupted in my Win10 Pro v1511 OS and my system is working ok now, however it won't update to the latest security updates, won't complete a repair-install via .iso on DVD, won't upgrade to the Anniversary Update via download but I still plan to try via .iso on DVD.

I feel I will get more and more exposed if I don't get the security updates. My PC is otherwise fine but a bit dated, without WiFi or USB 3.0. I have a few questions regarding replacing it with a new PC (time is money).

1- Most of the programs on it now were migrated to it from a laptop about six years ago, by using PC Mover. PC Mover did a decent job but It did migrate some programs I didn't ask it to migrate and a few didn't work afterwards so I had to re-install them but they were just a few and overall PCMover saved me a lot of time. Is PCMver still the best migration software?

2- At that time there wasn't any good free cloning software. Even a paid one that I tried, BounceBack, was horrible. Today there are some good ones. As I understand it, to assure the best results for a cloned HDD for local use in the same PC, it was recommended that the same HDD brand, model and size should be used. This way any particular OEM settings for it working with the motherboard will be in place. Maybe nowadays any brand is fine as long as it's the same size or larger. What's the thinking on this now?

3- a) Regarding getting a new PC, is migrating my current system files to its HDD the same thing as cloning it to another drive and swapping it out?
    b) I know for sure that the clone will include my corrupted system files issue. What about migration - will that also include the corrupted files issue or will it just migrate the installed software without the OS?
    c) If the best option is migration to the new PC's HDD, won't I be paying for another Windows 10 Pro OS in it? If so, is it possible to buy a PC (desktop) with a clean HDD, then somehow get Microsoft give me a new OS to replace my current defective one to put on the new PC's HDD? Then I would migrate my programs to it. Is that the right way to go about this?

Thanks.

:)

BretMan, Nov 7, 2016
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Adding a SSD as C: Drive

There are a number of 'cloning' tools you can use to move Windows to your SSD.

I use AOEMI free version ( they use the term 'migrate' vs clone or image ).

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

Once you have verified the clone is running well you can reformat the partition on the HDD

and expand that space into another partition or just create a new partition.

You will only have to buy a new Win10 if you get a new motherboard, and even then you can generally

get it reactivated if your original motherboard failed, and you use the phone activation option.

BossDweeb, Nov 7, 2016
  3. Migrate windows to a new ssd

cool, so I just migrate windows using a clone software to my new ssd and it will work?

Thanks!

Roan Vickerman, Nov 7, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

There has been good cloning software out for a long time. If you are moving stuff like programs from an old machine to a new one, you are not cloning and it always spells trouble.

Also because your computer does not have USB 3.0 or other technology, does not mean that it is dated. Computers do not become dated. The Operating Systems are written to force people to upgrade to keep the hardware companies in business.

bro67, Nov 7, 2016
  5. BretMan Win User
    Right, I recognized that...

BretMan, Nov 7, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Like bro67 said, there are good cloning programs out there (I'm using Macrium Reflect, not just for migrating OS, but also for system backups).
    Is there any particular reason, that you avoid installing software and try to "move" it from system to system? If not, I would suggest clean install.

Also, there is no need to repair system from ISO on DVD. Just download ISO from MS and mount it (with right click ...).

AndreTen, Nov 7, 2016
  7. BretMan Win User
    Thanks but .. it doesn't seem my post is being fully read.

I know there is good cloning software, as I stated. I have corrupted files which developed from my failing HDD's bad sectors so the repair-install was needed.

I have many installed programs, so a clean install of everything will take several months, so that is a last resort only.

BretMan, Nov 7, 2016
  8. BretMan Win User

With Hard Drive Sentinel I was able to identify the bad sectors and the system files on them. I suspect the corrupted files are causing the update install issues. Is it possible to individually reinstall good versions of just the corrupted files? If so, how to I find them and install them.

BretMan, Nov 7, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    That would be because it was full of unnecessary information that did not apply to what you really are asking about.

When someone gets a new machine and if it has OEM pre-installed software. The majority of us will use the Microsoft ISO to create a DVD or USB stick to remove the OEM shipped OS and put in a clean OS. Also we install software as a brand new install, we do not try an move it from one machine to the other, because there are going to be problems.

When I make a image of a drive when done installing everything. I clone it with Clonezilla, regardless if it is Windows or Linux. Mac OS-X is a different story. If you want to do backups on a regular basis, there are some good software out there like EaseUS Todo Workstation that does a great job in backing up.

If you have so many programs that you want to use, that means yes your only choice is going to be installing them. That is the standard way that has been done for years.

bro67, Nov 7, 2016
  10. BretMan Win User
    I haven't experienced as many problems as you have apparently. Thanks for your opinion.

BretMan, Nov 7, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    I do not know where you got that I have had issues when working on machines. Just stating that the way I do it is pretty much the way that everyone does it. You do not even want to know what I charge for setting up a machine, which is actually a steal, compared to having to install a bunch of software and setting up someone's network, which is where I like others make the majority of our money when we help others.

bro67, Nov 7, 2016
  12. BretMan Win User
    "Also we install software as a brand new install, we do not try an move it from one machine to the other, because there are going to be problems. " I haven't experienced these problems from a migration, as I said.

I'm not as knowledgeable about computers as you are, that's why I'm here, to be helped and help others. Moving on, is it possible to replace individual corrupted files and if so where do I find them and how is it done?

BretMan, Nov 7, 2016
  13. spunk Win User

As stated, Migrating software more then not causes problems, especially if it is from a different OS. Unless you are restoring a Clone from the same computer or model # we suggest doing a clean install and installing your programs.
    To answer your question, go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing system files.

spunk, Nov 8, 2016
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

What files are you talking about?
    System files or your own data files ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 8, 2016
  15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Some of us could call it progress.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Migration vs Clone to New PC - Similar Threads - Migration Clone

2. Disk size after cloning/migrating

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk size after cloning/migrating: Some time ago, I changed from a HDD 3TB to a smaller SSD 512GB. The change seemed to work fine, the desktop works fine. Recently I tried to back up the C: drive and system by creating an image file on an external USB disk. This attempt failed and I started to check what the...
  3. Clone C: 860 SSD to new 970 NMVe using samsung migration tool.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone C: 860 SSD to new 970 NMVe using samsung migration tool.: Afternoon all. Windows 10 pro version 20H2. OS Build 19042.804 So I purchased a new Samsung 970 EVO plus NVMe 500GB drive. My intention was to migrate C: to the new 970 for faster speeds. Initially the migration worked in a fashion. I looked in drive manager to see my new 970...
  4. Samsung data migration software clone

Samsung data migration software clone: Cloning to my new samsung 860 EVO using their software, for one of my 5 PC's Seems very easy. software is saying about ah hour to finish. My spinner drive has gotten slow to the point of why put up with it anymore. Running latest oct update 2020 win 10 2H2O 2OH2 or whatever...
  5. Samsung data migration software clone

in Windows 10 Support
    Samsung data migration software clone: Cloning to my new samsung 860 EVO using their software, for one of my 5 PC's Seems very easy. software is saying about ah hour to finish. My spinner drive has gotten slow to the point of why put up with it anymore. Running latest oct update 2020 win 10 2H2O 2OH2 or whatever...
  6. inconsistant restults cloning / migrating Windows10 system HD

inconsistant restults cloning / migrating Windows10 system HD: My machine is a somewhat dated but reliable Dell T5400, having two quad core intel processors, 8 gig of RAM, and is running Windows-10, 64 bit, and I like to CLONE my system drive for my primary means of backup. I'm aware of other options, but this is what i prefer to do....
  7. inconsistant restults cloning / migrating Windows10 system HD

in Windows 10 Support
    inconsistant restults cloning / migrating Windows10 system HD: My machine is a somewhat dated but reliable Dell T5400, having two quad core intel processors, 8 gig of RAM, and is running Windows-10, 64 bit, and I like to CLONE my system drive for my primary means of backup. I'm aware of other options, but this is what i prefer to do....
  8. Samsung Data Migration: Cloning Failed, An error occurred while reading the disk

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung Data Migration: Cloning Failed, An error occurred while reading the disk: [ATTACH]Samsung Data Migration is a software that allows users to clone HDD or SSD to Samsung branded SSD. It is the easiest way to switch […] This post Samsung Data Migration: Cloning Failed, An error occurred while reading the disk is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Why Won't Samsung Data Migration Clone The System Reserve Partion?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why Won't Samsung Data Migration Clone The System Reserve Partion?: As a part of my maintenance I always clone my SSD periodically to an identical Samsung SSD. I just did so on my new WIN 10 desktop. While the clone works fine its missing the 450mg System Reserve/Recovery Partition (SRP). This was not an issue in WIN 7and I use the same USB3...
  10. A few questions - Win10 migrating to new system and HDD cloning

in Windows 10 Support
    A few questions - Win10 migrating to new system and HDD cloning: Hi all...this will be a bit of a novel, so I apologize. I have done clones and migrations with Windows 7 in the past, but never with Win10, so I was looking for some info and pointers. Now, I know licensing works differently with Win10 and am worried for my brother's...