Windows 10: Millions of IoT devices hit by 'Devil's Ivy' bug in open source code

Discus and support Millions of IoT devices hit by 'Devil's Ivy' bug in open source code in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A flaw in a widely-used code library known as gSOAP has exposed millions of IoT devices, such as security cameras, to a remote attack. Researchers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Borg 386, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Borg 386 Win User

Millions of IoT devices hit by 'Devil's Ivy' bug in open source code

Millions of IoT devices hit by 'Devil's Ivy' bug in open source code library | ZDNet

Borg 386, Jul 20, 2017

2. I've been saying for years that IoT is a horrible nightmare.

It should never have been allowed, given all the security issues with PCs and phones.

Until commercial software is treated the same way as real products we will keep having these problems.

:)

lehnerus2000, Jul 21, 2017
  3. Best license option for Windows 10 single-purpose device

Windows 10 IoT for Industry Devices is what you need:

Windows 10 IoT

• Windows 10 IoT for industry devices

Desktop Shell, Win32 apps, Universal Apps and Drivers

1 GB, 16 GB Storage

x86
    • Windows 10 IoT for mobile devices

Modern Shell, Universal Apps and Drivers

512 MB RAM, 4 GB Storage

ARM
    • Windows 10 IoT for small devices

No Shell, Universal Apps and drivers

256 MB RAM, 2GB storage

x86 or ARM
    Source:
    http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/18/windows-10-iot-powering-the-internet-of-things/

Andre Da Costa, Jul 21, 2017
  4. Millions of IoT devices hit by 'Devil's Ivy' bug in open source code

Meego Announcement - Meego has been Chosen by Car Mfgrs.

The first release of MeeGo for IVI (In-Vehicle Infotainment) has just been made available. The release includes a sample IVI Home Screen and taskbar, using the included Qt framework, and designed with
    Automotive Center Console HMI requirements in mind. It also incorporates some automotive specific middleware components and a few sample applications, including sample navigation program (Navit) and a sample dialer application (BT-HFP Dialer) which
    uses Bluetooth and a paired phone.

The MeeGo IVI Day 1 User Experience includes:

* Kernel version 2.6.33

* Home screen and taskbar for launching and managing applications

* Sample navigation (Navit)

* Sample Bluetooth-enabled dialer application (BT-HFP Dialer)

* UI for managing network connections

* Fennec Browser is MeeGo's Qt based web browser for IVI

* Packages from open source automotive projects are included for audio management, resource management, persistent storage management, CE device management, and system
    health management.

Tizen | An open source, standards-based software platform for multiple device categories.

ceroberts75, Jul 21, 2017
  5. Mystere Win User
    "Allowed"? Who exactly is the arbiter of what can and cannot be placed on the internet?

Mystere, Jul 21, 2017
  6. ericnixmd Win User
    We have 3 Foscam cameras (1 in our 4-year-old's bedroom, her playroom, and one in the basement where we keep our dogs). Initially, I had them set up so that they were directly accessible on the net (I was using an app called Babycam Monitor to access it). I quickly learned of the vulnerabilities and decided to close the cameras. I disabled UPnP and disabled port forwarding on my router (Ubiquiti UniFi USG-Pro). Now I can only access them via connection to my OpenVPN server. The OpenVPN server is the only port open.

I have a ton of IoT devices, which I've separated into VLAN's. Nokia WiFi scale, Chamberlain garage door openers, Samsung washer/dryer, Amazon Dash buttons, Alexa devices, etc. It makes my life much easier, but I'm aware of the risks. I try to keep them as up-to-date as possible and try to keep them from connecting to my main network.

This is just a risk I take in order to make my life more convenient. Sooner or later I'm sure I will be hit despite all the security measures I've taken.

ericnixmd, Jul 21, 2017
  7. The same ones who demand that you obey the law and pay your taxes.

lehnerus2000, Jul 21, 2017
  8. pyramid10 Win User

The same ones who came down hard on the child who was selling lemonade, to protect the child and deter others from taking on such risks. The same ones who issue licenses and certifications to businesses to ensure consumers at the least have an appearance of protection.

Regarding IoT, there is no appearance of protection. Someone like ericnxmd can protect himself to some degree. The rest of us require the governance to protect us.

pyramid10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Millions of IoT devices hit by 'Devil's Ivy' bug in open source code - Similar Threads - Millions IoT devices

2. WinAppDriver open source

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinAppDriver open source: For test automation of Windows applications, there is only one option as far as I know: WinAppDriver. This component is however severely lacking support from Microsoft. Would it be possible to open source WinAppDriver? That would immediately revive it and probably solve many...
  3. XV source code

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XV source code: I am looking for the up to date source code for the xv image viewer software originated by John Bradley many years ago. Does anyone have this code or can supply a link to this code ? Thanks.
  4. Build your IoT devices with Windows for IoT

in Windows 10 News
    Build your IoT devices with Windows for IoT: [img] Embedded computing has been around for a number of years. Recent advances in computing such as artificial intelligence, more powerful sensors, and container technology are unlocking new scenarios and creating new paradigms for device developers. As Artificial...
  5. Storage sense ON is the devil?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Storage sense ON is the devil?: Hello, I wonder what do you think about cleaning junk and old files using storage sense, it is good or it is a mess? *Devil could it replace CCleaner? Thanks Came 133734
  6. Storage sense ON is the devil?

in Windows 10 Support
    Storage sense ON is the devil?: Hello, I wonder what do you think about cleaning junk and old files using storage sense, it is good or it is a mess? *Devil could it replace CCleaner? Thanks Came 133734
  7. Over two million IoT devices vulnerable because of P2P component flaws

in Windows 10 News
    Over two million IoT devices vulnerable because of P2P component flaws: More than two million IoT devices, possibly more, are using a vulnerable P2P firmware component that allows hackers to locate and take over impacted systems. Vulnerable devices include IP cameras, baby monitors, smart doorbells, DVRs, and many others, manufactured and sold...
  8. AllJoyn: Open source (IoT) gets added to windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    AllJoyn: Open source (IoT) gets added to windows 10: Not sure if this has already been posted on the forums, but if you're someone who is intrigued by the Internet of Things then windows 10 might just be the OS for you. *Wink Microsofts Windows 10 Includes Smart Home Features Microsoft announced last November Windows...
  9. Microsoft Solitaire Collection hits milestone: 100 million unique user

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Solitaire Collection hits milestone: 100 million unique user: Today, Paul Jensen, Studio Manager of Microsoft Casual Games announced on Xbox Wire that Microsoft Solitaire Collection on Windows has reached more than 100 million unique users. To commemorate the milestone, we’re sharing a few facts you might not know about Microsoft...
  10. Device to Device Communication with Azure IoT Hub

in Windows 10 News
    Device to Device Communication with Azure IoT Hub: We’ve already seen how to get your devices to send data to the cloud. In most cases, the data is then processed by various Azure services. However, in some cases the cloud is nothing more than a means of communication between two devices. Imagine a Raspberry Pi connected...