Windows 10: mini Tutorial: personalize Tile pictures for Pinned Sites

Discus and support mini Tutorial: personalize Tile pictures for Pinned Sites in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; 9 out of 10 times Edge isn't capable of sticking a good picture icon while creating a Tile for a Pinned Site. A sad "e" is what you only get. IE11... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Macco26, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Macco26 Win User

mini Tutorial: personalize Tile pictures for Pinned Sites

9 out of 10 times Edge isn't capable of sticking a good picture icon while creating a Tile for a Pinned Site. A sad "e" is what you only get.

IE11 is slightly better, yet it uses the small favicon with no possibility to change that.

(Metro IE of 8.1 was terrific in that regard. It was awesome, with the chance to select among several pictures. And they were all-tile wide!

With the following we're able to change the picture in the Tile. NOTE: It won't be an all-wide tile picture though, just a smaller icon; but still:
    - you can choose whatever you want (IE11 doesn't let you decide the pic)
    - you can open it with Edge (or IE11 if you prefer)
    - it stays in the Start Menu

Do that:

1) Pin the site with IE11, not Edge with the "Add site to apps". it will add the Site to the All Apps list
    2) Just pin to the Start Menu as usual from the All App (or recently Added) list
    3) Now open (with Win+R for example) this folder: "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu"
    (you'll find your recently pinned site(s) links)
    4) with Explorer open a Shell prompt with menu File\Open a command prompt
    (we need to rename the extension from .website to .url)
    5) launch the command "ren NAMEOFYOURLINK.website NAMEOFYOURLINK.url" with the real name of each site of course
    6) in Explorer you now can right click each link and select Properties
    7) .url allows you to change icon. Choose whatever you want. I currently use some useful PNG 2 ICO website to have a lot directly from the internet. You choose it and it changes immediately in the Start Menu
    8) if you want Edge to open the Tiles, leave them as .url. Job done
    9) if you want IE11 to open them, change back to .website by using the command prompt. For example for legacy sites that doesn't work with Edge (requires Silverlight for example), or where you still NEED Tracking protection Lists for AD removals that IE11 provids, while Edge not (yet).

Hope it helps.
    Anyone willing to screenshots and tranform the above in a Tutorial is well accepted. *Wink

PS: if any developer could find a solution and let an app to reintroduce the automation process of creation of a all-wide picture of a Pinned Site offered in the ages of Metro IE, it would be awesome. For example let the click of its created Tiles being redirected to Edge. It would be awesome. A lot of Kid's tablets are in the need of such a beauty.

:)

Macco26, Apr 29, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 29, 2016
  3. Marek St. Win User
    Pinning websites on Internet Explorer 11 Mobile

Hi HaakLong.

I understand that you're experiencing some unusual behaviour in relation to the Live Tiles on your Windows Phone and web site pinning.

The functionality you are enquiring about is strictly dependable on the web site your Pinning.

Some web sites will have predefined Icon which will be used as a Live Tile's picture, in other situations where such icon is not available, Live Tile will be displayed as a screen shot of such web site.

There is no way to influence this behaviour from the user side.

Thank You.

Marek.

Marek St., Apr 29, 2016
Thema:

mini Tutorial: personalize Tile pictures for Pinned Sites

1. mini Tutorial: personalize Tile pictures for Pinned Sites - Similar Threads - mini Tutorial personalize

2. not showing mini picture on search icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not showing mini picture on search icon: not showing mini picture on search icon on my pc and laptop but other PCs are showing. it's showing bing ai chat icon. how to return mini pictures? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-showing-mini-picture-on-search-icon/7242ab95-9590-4830-99b0-91736df4a8c5
  3. not showing mini picture on search icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    not showing mini picture on search icon: not showing mini picture on search icon on my pc and laptop but other PCs are showing. it's showing bing ai chat icon. how to return mini pictures? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-showing-mini-picture-on-search-icon/7242ab95-9590-4830-99b0-91736df4a8c5
  4. Pinning Sites to the Start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pinning Sites to the Start: Hello - For the last few days, I haven't been able to pin sites to the Start. I don't know what happened. I can pin them to the Taskbar but when I try to pin them to the Start, the blue square appears and when I click it, nothing happens. Instead of saying the site name, the...
  5. Change tile picture

Change tile picture: How do I change the tile picture on the People tile in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-tile-picture/97c40ecb-4907-4ed7-9105-96e9a5514559
  6. Pinned Web Site

Pinned Web Site: Is there still no way to rename web site I pin to the start menu??? James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pinned-web-site/f92a3f93-c1c2-46d8-a4d5-da9b32de6e6d
  7. Personalizing/Customization of Windows Tiles

Personalizing/Customization of Windows Tiles: Hello Team, I'm having long standing question on customizing Windows tiles that appear on Start menu as tiles occupies entire window, I'm finding for an answer on online which some how related, but I haven't got the answers exactly as how I expect. I'm glad that I ended up...
  8. Picture Tiles

Picture Tiles: Hi I would like to see the actual photos in my library instead of the picture symbol. How can I change this in Windows 10? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/picture-tiles/9be7eaa7-b0f7-47ae-93f5-3471a1d1b37c
  9. Missing pictures in tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing pictures in tiles: How can I fix the missing tile for Google chrome. Using Win 10 home latest build [img] 99021
  10. Pin msconfig as tile

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin msconfig as tile: I tried to pin a desktop shortcut of msconfig system app as tile to the start metro screen but refuses to pin. It doesn't even exists 'Pin to Start screen' selection when i right click the shortcut. What should i do? I even copied the shortcut to the 'All Apps' folder and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows phone websites tile pictures