Windows 10: Minimal Virtual PC for Hyper-V for Network testing

Discus and support Minimal Virtual PC for Hyper-V for Network testing in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Does anybody know of a minimal virtual "pc" that can be installed in Hyper-V for network testing (pinging)? I have seen them used in environments... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by IsaacFL, Mar 3, 2018.

1. IsaacFL Win User

Minimal Virtual PC for Hyper-V for Network testing

Does anybody know of a minimal virtual "pc" that can be installed in Hyper-V for network testing (pinging)?

I have seen them used in environments like GNS3, but I can't find one that installs in Hyper-V. I just need a VM that provides a CMD or Powershell that has the network stack.

I am working with virtual routers on Hyper-V, but installing multiple instances of full blown Windows isn't very practical, when all I want do is just verifying the connectivity between subnets etc.

ipv6 support would be needed too.

:)

IsaacFL, Mar 3, 2018
  2. Andre Da Costa, Mar 3, 2018
  3. hosted network

Do you have Hyper-V enabled? Did you create a Virtual Network connection in Hyper-V?

IJustHelping, Mar 3, 2018
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

you could try I think a trial version of Server 2016 which can (I think) have a minimal desktop installed.
    Windows server 2012 definitely had that type of functionality (i.e just basically power shell) if you can still find a trial copy.

Personally if I just wanted to test Networks using a Windows Host then I'd do it on a Linux VM -- on these you don't need a GUI and can run the whole kybosh from a USB stick !!.

However if using a Linux VM you'd probably need Virtual Box or VMWARE player as the VM program and then use that for running guests.

If you specifically want to test Windows networking on Windows you could create a Windows VM on say a Linux host and only install the components you want for testing the network.

Windows doesn't lend itself to this type of testing scenario - especially if you want to do serious volume testing.
    Windows has strengths in a lot of other areas but in this type of instance I'd use the Linux machine for network testing.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Minimal Virtual PC for Hyper-V for Network testing - Similar Threads - Minimal Virtual Hyper

2. Hyper V Networking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V Networking: Hello I am trying to get my 6 different VLANS to communicate with each other on the same Hyper V Host.In fact my networking skills are very rusty and i am looking for some help and guidance.The below is my setup:i have a Managed Switch with VLANs with an uplink from the...
  3. Hyper V Networking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V Networking: Hello I am trying to get my 6 different VLANS to communicate with each other on the same Hyper V Host.In fact my networking skills are very rusty and i am looking for some help and guidance.The below is my setup:i have a Managed Switch with VLANs with an uplink from the...
  4. Can't enable Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch in Networking

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Can't enable Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch in Networking: I can find the dialog to enable the Hyper-V Extensible Switch for my network card but when I say OK then it says: "Your current selection will also disable the following features: Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch" Yes or No Either way the selection becomes...
  5. Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines

Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi, I was wondering if all I really need to do to backup activated virtual machines but not associated virtual hard drives is just to copy the virtual hard drive folder to another drive (or even one drive) . All I am really interested is in saving the machines which have...
  6. Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V

Virtual network is not created in Hyper-V: Hi guys, I enabled Hyper-V feature in Windows 10 but unable to create a virtual switch. I tried to create private and internal types of virtual switch but every time the process stuck on "Applying changes". What could be the reason of that? Thank you. 61906
  7. Virtual Hard disk created in hyper-v

Virtual Hard disk created in hyper-v: Hi There I am using windows 10 Pro, and had a virtual machine installed using Hyper-V with two virtual HDD in that VM. Recently I had some problem with my Windows 10 OS and had to reset my windows with keeping all the files and settings, and it installed a new windows...
  8. Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network

Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network: I’m not entirely sure if this should be in networking section. Sorry if this is wrong section. First little background. I have Raspberry Pi running Kodi. I also have Windows 10 computer with TV tuner card. I can watch TV on Kodi over the network as the Windows 10 machine...
  9. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  10. Network adapters not appearing in Hyper-V

Network adapters not appearing in Hyper-V: Hello. I'm hoping somebody knowledgeable can help me. I've looked online and I can't find an answer for this problem. I've just recently picked up windows 10 (It's been less than a week so I'm admittedly a noob with it) and I want to create a virtual machine. I've gone...
Tags: