Windows 10: Miracast from PC - minimum requirements and how it's supposed to work?

Discus and support Miracast from PC - minimum requirements and how it's supposed to work? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am an older techie but I do understand most of the newer technology. I do not own a Smartphone or Tablet. I have an older "Smart TV", about 5... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BigRich, Aug 27, 2017.

1. BigRich Win User

Miracast from PC - minimum requirements and how it's supposed to work?

I am an older techie but I do understand most of the newer technology. I do not own a Smartphone or Tablet.

I have an older "Smart TV", about 5 years old. I've been to the manufacturers site but their explanation is severely lacking. My TV is a Sharp Aquos LC-70LE735U. They barely start to mention Miracast to their Smart TV's and jump to casting from an iPhone or Android, and don't mention casting from a PC (unless I missed it). They didn't have a list that I could find regarding Miracast compliant models. The TV is at the latest firmware and so is my Sony Blu Ray player.

I assume that I will need to buy a dongle for the TV so it supports Miracast, is that true or can I Miracast to a Blu Ray player and let the output go to one of the TV's HDMI ports? Or is the Blu Ray player also an unsupported device even though I bought it a week ago?

I can't get my wireless PC to "discover" the TV or the Blu Ray player using Edge's Miracast. I don't know how to put either the Blu Ray player or the Smart TV into discovery mode or whatever they decided to call it.

All my PC's are Win 10 but only one of them is capable of Miracast and has a wireless network capability.

My Blu Ray player is a BDP-S6700. The manufacturers site says that it is capable of Streaming but does not mention Miracast. Again, unless I missed it.

Why doesn't Microsoft maintain an up-to-date list of compatible Miracast devices?

Any thoughts on where I can start? Or do I need to throw everything out and start over.

:)

BigRich, Aug 27, 2017
  2. Nic727 Win User

This PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements to record a clip... ??? (GAME DVR)

I had a driver issue. I disable it and re-enable it and it now work. Maybe there was something corrupted out there lol.

Nic727, Aug 27, 2017
  3. Nic727 Win User
    This PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements to record a clip... ??? (GAME DVR)

Hi,

two months ago I was able to records some gameplay with the Windows 10 Game DVR, but now I'm unable to record anymore. I started playing Fable Fortune, but just have the option to take screenshots and the record option is greyed out. I meet the minimum requirement
    (I have a GTX 960M) which is good and like I said, I was able to record a couple months ago.

Is it a problem with Game DVR version?

Thank you

Nic727, Aug 27, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Not knowing the specs of your TV and Blu-Ray player, my recommendation is to get a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-P3Q...isplay+Adapter

I have one, can wholeheartedly recommend it. Plug it to an HDMI port in TV and start casting. I am using it to allow three displays on my laptop; as you know most laptops can only use two displays, laptop's built-in and one external display. Using Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter I now have three displays available.

5. cereberus Win User
    Personally, I would buy a Chromecast dongle - far more flexible.

cereberus, Aug 28, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Your TV (like my Pannasonic) supports DLNA. This means that you have two choices. You could set your PC up as a media server then you can, from the remote of your TV, browse the network for your media server, select photo/music/videos and play them from the server.

The other option (and the one I prefer) is to cast from your PC to the TV. None of this requires Miracast or any form of dongle. For watching my videos, or a slideshow of my photos I regularly use 'Cast to...' from File Explorer. For videos you can also cast to a DLNA device from within Films & TV.

The TV manuals major heavily on how to request media from a media server, but hardly (if ever) mention that it works the other way round too. Yours says...
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/31...u.html?page=55

Up until the Creators Update, Edge could use DLNA to cast to a TV, but this feature was inexplicably removed in the Creators Update. It can now only use Miracast.
    Creators Update - Edge cannot cast media

The Edge development team have confirmed this as an issue, but as yet don't seem to have done anything about it.
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...sues/11633738/

7. On my Early 2014 Sony TV (XBR 850b), there's a "screen mirroring" option that you have to select first so that it is waiting for the PC to connect. If I click "Connect" on my laptop on the action center, the TV shows there and I can miracast support it.

theveterans, Aug 28, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

I have both, never had any issues with wireless display adapter. In addition, it allows not only casting but also extended desktop (external wireless display in extended mode), whereas Chromecast only allows duplicating either a tab in Chrome or desktop but not extending it.

9. cereberus Win User
    In the end, it comes down to what a user wants i.e. horses for courses.

The real power of a chromecast is when using chromecast friendly programs, as the chromecast takes control of the streaming, and you do not use any pc resources. Indeed you can even switch off the PC entirely.

In fact, I rarely use a pc for mirroring to chromecast. I use an android tablet where it is so much slicker. If I do stream a video from PC, I use Plex or Videostream etc, as these hand off the streaming to the chromecast dongle.

What is quite slick, is you can set a plex session running from pc, switch off pc, and then control the streaming from plex on a tablet etc. i.e use tablet as a remote control

Only time, I mirror from pc is if I want to display pc on TV which is rare. Most users simply want to play videos wirelessly.

Of course, chromecasts do not do wifi direct which may be a limitation in some cases.

Another plus for chromecasts is they work on virtually any pc, from windows 7 onwards.

My laptop is not miracast capable unfortunately.

My tv has miracast built in and I can cast videos via my tablet/phone directly, but I have to leave device powered on and cannot use it for anything else. So I just use the chromecast instead, and can use device as I wish, or put in standby etc, saving battery resources etc.

cereberus, Aug 28, 2017
  10. BigRich Win User
    Thank you all for the many good suggestions and recommendations.

It will take a while to sift through the replies to see which best suits my desired end result. My goal is, well actually was, to stream a cable movie or show from my laptop to the big screen.

After some additional thought, I've decided to go wired. My old laptop supports an HDMI video out and I was able to get the streaming video to work with the big screen. The only disadvantage is the cable running under the rug to where I sit. The laptop's video is not Miracast compliant, so there's no other way with that machine.

My other desktop machine that has 802.11n is Miracast compliant but, as several have suggested, I need to add a dongle to the TV. The downside of that is that if I want to pause a movie, or otherwise control it, I need to get off my lazy behind and go to the desktop machine.

Once again, thank you all.

BigRich, Aug 28, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    MIracast has gone away like the Dodo bird.

bro67, Aug 29, 2017
  12. BigRich Win User
    Thanks bro67. I guess that's the story of my techie life. Oh, did I mention, my TV is 3D, another Dodo.

In this case I never had a need or desire to stream. Then I replaced my cable boxes with boxes I own, then I find out the cable company won't allow them into their database which is required for On Demand. Then I dig around and find this Miracast "solution" which turns into a non-solution.

Problem solved, I'll just watch On Demand using HDMI under the rug until I fall for the next "advancement" in technology.

BigRich, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Miracast from PC - minimum requirements and how it's supposed to work? - Similar Threads - Miracast minimum requirements

2. PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements: I've been trying to get windows 11, but it says "PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements"I already have TPM 2.0 System firmware UEFI and secure boot enabledMy PC meets system requirements, but I still can't figure out what the problem is.I already installed W11 on an...
  3. PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements: I've been trying to get windows 11, but it says "PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements"I already have TPM 2.0 System firmware UEFI and secure boot enabledMy PC meets system requirements, but I still can't figure out what the problem is.I already installed W11 on an...
  4. Windows 11 minimum requirement

Windows 11 minimum requirement: Please I downloaded the PC health app to check if my PC was eligible for the windows 11 upgrade only to realise that the one requirement it failed at was an unsupported processor. This is quite strange to me because I use a Hp pavilion 15 with IntelR CoreTM i3-7100U @...
  5. PC Minimum requirements for Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Minimum requirements for Win11: Hi I have been using Win10 since its launch in 2015 and when Microsoft decided to bring out Win11 I thought I could get Win11 with having Win10. As there is a requirement to have TPM on the computer this is not possible with the age of my machine. I don't seem to be having...
  6. PC Minimum requirements for Win11

PC Minimum requirements for Win11: Hi I have been using Win10 since its launch in 2015 and when Microsoft decided to bring out Win11 I thought I could get Win11 with having Win10. As there is a requirement to have TPM on the computer this is not possible with the age of my machine. I don't seem to be having...
  7. PC Minimum requirements for Win11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Miracast not working on PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Miracast not working on PC: My PC and TV are connected to the same router over ethernet. However, when I go to the notification panel and click project it says "Your PC or mobile device doesn't support Miracast, so it can't project wirelessly". I checked DxDiag and it says "Miracast: Available, with...
  9. Minimum Requirements

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minimum Requirements: I purchased MFS2020 and found that my computer does not meet the minimums. If I purchase a new computer will I be able to reload the Simulator on the new one without additional charge?...
  10. Minimum requirements for rec.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minimum requirements for rec.: What are the minimum requirements for recording with start+g in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/minimum-requirements-for-rec/7c5d4dcc-6eb7-4b62-bce7-ff68052e4a96