Windows 10: Change Quick Access Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Quick Access Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Quick Access Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Change Quick Access Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10 Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by neurogenesis, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Change Quick Access Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10

How to: Change Quick Access Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10

How to Change Quick Access Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10

Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with recent files.

This tutorial will show you how to change the icon for Quick Access in File Explorer to any icon for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Default Quick Access icon in File Explorer

Change Quick Access Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Quick Access Icon for Current User

*note This option will override Option Two.

*note This option will only be applied to the current user, and no other user account on the PC.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\DefaultIcon

*note If you do not have a {679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6} key, right click on the CLSID key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type {679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6} for the name, and press Enter.

*note If you do not have a DefaultIcon key, right click on the {679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6} key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type DefaultIcon for the name, and press Enter.

3. In the right pane of the DefaultIcon key, double click/tap on the (Default) string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Type the full path of the .ico file wrapped in quotes you want to use for the icon, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default icon is: %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-51380

5. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

6. If File Explorer (Win+E) is currently open, close and reopen it to apply.

*note If the icon doesn't change, then sign in to apply instead.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Quick Access Icon for All Users

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If any user uses Option One, it will override this option for their account.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If you used Option One, delete the DefaultIcon key located below. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\DefaultIcon

3. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\DefaultIcon

4. Change the owner of the DefaultIcon key to the Administrators group.

5. Change the permissions of the DefaultIcon key to "Allow" Administrators "Full control" of it.

6. In the right pane of the DefaultIcon key, double click/tap on the (Default) string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

7. Type the full path of the .ico file wrapped in quotes you want to use for the icon, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The .ico file will need to be saved at a location (ex: "C:\Windows" or "C:\Users\Public") that all users have access to. If it's not, the icon may show as a default folder for some users instead.

*note The default icon is: %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-51380

8. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

9. If File Explorer (Win+E) is currently open, close and reopen it to apply.

*note If the icon doesn't change, then sign in to apply instead.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

neurogenesis, Sep 15, 2015
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Hi Bill,

Quick Access is a new feature in Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane which helps users quickly navigate to locations which are frequently used. However, if you're having issues with Quick Access, you can try to disable and enable it. To disable Quick
    Access, follow these steps:

• Type File Explorer Option in the search box.
    • Click on File Explorer Options.
    • Under General tab, choose This PC in the Open File Explorer to: drop down menu.
    • Uncheck Show recently used files in Quick access and
      Show frequently use folders in Quick access.
    • Click Apply an OK.
    • Restart the computer and re-enable Quick access.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Change Quick Access Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10

File Explorer/Quick Access

I recently started having a problem with File Explorer and Quick Access. When I start my computer, all works fine but then gradually the files as listed in File Explorer and Quick Access start to disappear and soon there are none present. I need to
    restart and again they are there but also again they start to disappear. Has anyone else had this problem and any suggestion to correct? Thanks/

Moved from: Windows 10 / Ease of access / PC

William L Hurley, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Why no Quick Access button on Windows 10 File Explorer?

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

It might be that File Explorer is being opened in This PC instead of Quick Access, so follow the below steps to change the same.

Open File Explorer > Go to View tab > Select
    Options > In the Open File Explorer to list, select
    Quick Access from the drop-down list > click on Apply >
    OK.

Once you change the option to Quick Access, File Explorer will be opened in Quick Access with the recent files.

Once you make these changes, let us know the result.

We await your reply.

Shafeeq_Khan, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Jose Est Win User
    File Explorer Quick Access change

Hi,

It is quite possible that your Quick Access is broken or corrupted. As an initial troubleshooting step to try resolve the issue, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer and paste the following folder paths in the address bar and hit
      Enter.
      • %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
      • %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

• Once the folder is opened, press Ctrl+A to select all files. Right-click and select
      Delete, to delete all files in the folder.

• Do the same for both the above-mentioned folders.

• Restart your Windows 10 computer.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Jose Est, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Change Quick Access Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10

1. Change Quick Access Icon in File Explorer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Quick Access

2. File explorer home icon and quick access missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer home icon and quick access missing: Hi Microsoft,Encounter a few problems on file explorer after the recent Windows 11 22H2 update. Please advice on the solution. Thanks.1. Home icon missing dropdown menu that showing the quick access 2. Quick access shortcut are placing in the middle section rather than hiding...
  3. File explorer home icon and quick access missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer home icon and quick access missing: Hi Microsoft,Encounter a few problems on file explorer after the recent Windows 11 22H2 update. Please advice on the solution. Thanks.1. Home icon missing dropdown menu that showing the quick access 2. Quick access shortcut are placing in the middle section rather than hiding...
  4. Quick Access in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access in File Explorer: For some reason my Quick Access in File Explorer stopped working about a week ago. It does not display pinned folders any more. It does show recent files. When I try to pin anything to it it says that the folder already exists. I only had 4 or 5 folders pinned but it gives me...
  5. File Explorer Quick Access

File Explorer Quick Access: I have pinned a folder to quick access, file explorer. Folder shows, no problems. I shut my machine down at the end of the day. When I restart and go into file explorer, the folder I pinned to quick access is not there. I have tried various solutions on-line and community...
  6. File explorer and quick access query

File explorer and quick access query: Hi, I am a Windows 10 user with all updates up-to-date. Recently, my File explorer icons look like a page with the corner turned over - no normal file image and at the same time the quick access search never finishes?...
  7. File Explorer Quick Access Icons ?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Quick Access Icons ?: I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro vers 1909 on a new build. This is my first experience with Win10. I'm not sure what icons are supposed to be in Quick Access. But I have 3 yellow folders that correspond to drivers that I installed, in addition to 5 icons which appear...
  8. In File Explorer Quick Access

In File Explorer Quick Access: Listed is old Firefox > ylzp0n7i.default Is that OK or should I delete? Also, I get a lot of cookies and I enabled block 3rd party cookies Thank you for your anticipated help...
  9. Quick Access Recent Files icons in explorer are blank - no icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Access Recent Files icons in explorer are blank - no icon: [img] Hi, you can see the two white Recent files entries with no icons. I seem to have no other issue with icons. I've tried deleting and rebuilding the icon cache, and clearing explorer history. The problem remains having done the anniversary upgrade. This used to...
  10. Issues with quick access and file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues with quick access and file explorer: Today after starting my computer, I realized that quick access items disappeared and I am unable to pin anything. In addition, all pinned items in the menu that appears when you right click on the file explorer disappeared as well. I am attaching images to clarify the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\DefaultIcon