Windows 10: Mirrored hard drive, from old Windows 10 PC to newer Windows 8.1 PC?

Discus and support Mirrored hard drive, from old Windows 10 PC to newer Windows 8.1 PC? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just got an Ethernet connection between these two PC's working, to transfer data from the older Windows 10 PC to the newer Windows 8.1 PC but I may... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MamaBear, Apr 8, 2017.

1. MamaBear Win User

Mirrored hard drive, from old Windows 10 PC to newer Windows 8.1 PC?

I just got an Ethernet connection between these two PC's working, to transfer data from the older Windows 10 PC to the newer Windows 8.1 PC but I may not have thought this out very well. I checked my old PC's drive and I have 239GB of space used. Some of that is programs but much of it is data that needs to be moved to the new PC now. So the Ethernet connection may just be too slow.

But on the old PC, I have a Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U drive docking station. I've mirrored the drive to it. It's plugged into the ESATA port in the old PC and only has USB 2 in addition to that.

The new PC doesn't appear to have an ESATA port but does have USB 3 ports.

So I'm thinking it might be faster to move all this data by getting a ST0005U-D updated version of the docking station for the new PC. It has USB 3 as well as ESATA III. It could be plugged into the old PC, the drive could be mirrored ( Last time I did that win Acronis, mirroring the whole drive took less than a half hour, if I recall ), then it could be plugged into the new PC's USB 3 port and data could be transferred.

The only potential kink that I'm wondering about, is that the old PC has Windows 10 and the new PC has Windows 8.1. If I mirror the old drive onto a drive in a newer ST0005U-D, and then move the station to the new PC and plug it into the USB 3 port, will the data still be readable and transferrable to the new PC?

:)

MamaBear, Apr 8, 2017

2. WINDOWS 10 DOESN'T RECOGNISE MY 8.1 MIRROR IMAGE FLASH DRIVE

I completed upgrade ok from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I am getting ' message file history drive was disconnected for to long' . Windows 10 doesn't recognise my old USB flash drive for windows 8.1. do I have to start again and download a new windows 10
    mirror image? How would I do this as I remember when I created the original mirror image (8.1) I was only allowed to do it once.

georgeadamsZT, Apr 8, 2017
  3. PeerDr Win User
    Windows 10 - ReInstall ?

Built a New PC (NUC) and successfully Clean installed windows 10 using a Windows 8.1 key that I had from an old (no longer used PC). The new PC has a Solid Stated (SSD) hard drive.

Tomorrow I will be building a Newer Better PC and will be using the SSD from the aforementioned PC.

- Will I need a new Windows 10 key since all but the SSD are new ?

- Will I need to get my current Windows 10 key to use in the new PC and, if so, how do I do that ?"

NOTE the Windows 8 Key that I used was from an UPGRADE Windows Purchase I made in 2013 from Windows 7 Ultimate

#Confused.Com

PeerDr, Apr 8, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes, your data files will be available from the docked drive.

Also, why not upgrade the new Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 10?

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2017
  5. MamaBear Win User
    Because I just went through PC hell since last July with the older PC. I'm going to have to move data from it and throw it in the trash now. I'm not sure if it's the BIOS, the chipset ( which I tried upgrading but it FAILED ) or/and the video card, or all the above, but upgrading to 10 from Win 7 was NOT a good idea on that Asus Essentio with Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 CPU. ( won't go into the long story, but I just need it to be over already. I may have spent 100 hours on trying to save it. )

So I'm interested in sticking to 8.1 for a few years. Plus, I don't think the new PC came with an upgrade offer. It's a refurbed Asus with an AMD FX-8310.

MamaBear, Apr 8, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The free upgrade still works, but if you don't want to chance it, at least the nagging from Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10 has stopped.

Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 cannot physically destroy or damage a computer, but the OS might not run if it isn't compatible with the older hardware.

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2017
  7. MamaBear Win User
    Understood. And if you're a Navy Lt Commander, thank you for your service.

MamaBear, Apr 8, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Thank you! Retiring this year at 33+ years.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Mirrored hard drive, from old Windows 10 PC to newer Windows 8.1 PC? - Similar Threads - Mirrored hard drive

2. Screen Mirroring from Windows 11 PC to Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Mirroring from Windows 11 PC to Windows 10 PC: I have an XPS 15 laptop Windows 11 and an old Surface Windows 10. I am trying to use the surface as a second monitor by using the wireless display app, but I am having trouble connecting. The laptop can find the surface when I have the wireless display app open on the...
  3. Screen Mirroring from Windows 11 PC to Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Mirroring from Windows 11 PC to Windows 10 PC: I have an XPS 15 laptop Windows 11 and an old Surface Windows 10. I am trying to use the surface as a second monitor by using the wireless display app, but I am having trouble connecting. The laptop can find the surface when I have the wireless display app open on the...
  4. Mirror Win 10 hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mirror Win 10 hard drive: Does windows 10 have a mirror hard drive program built in? I have a 1 terabyte USB drive available. I want the data to be portable. How do I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mirror-win-10-hard-drive/fd810406-f21b-4f74-b7eb-3b6bc0ba3839
  5. Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC: I recently built a new desktop PC. I transferred two 8TB drives that were mirrored from my previous PC. In my new PC they show up as one drive. I have put each drive individually and they each show up with all the data. I have backed up this data and wish to use the drives as...
  6. Transferring photos from old camera to newer PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transferring photos from old camera to newer PC: New W10 hp Asus laptop has Memory Card slot that matches the SDHC card from my FinepixZ camera. When I plug it in the icon for it shows in Settings>Bluetooth and Others, but all I see is this icon with no Drive or leads to anywhere provided. A camera store then talked me into...
  7. Files Mirrored on One Drive, from Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files Mirrored on One Drive, from Hard Drive: My One drive exactly mirrors the files viewed on my hard drive. If I add / delete files on my hard drive, so to does my one drive reflect the same. How then can I delete files on my hard drive to save disk space, yet only leaving important files on my one drive not mirrored...
  8. Transfer Windows to a Mac but old PC Hard Drive is shot

Transfer Windows to a Mac but old PC Hard Drive is shot: Hello All and thank you in advance for your help. I recently got a Mac and before I could transfer everything my PC kicked rocks and I desperately need windows on my Mac to run a software that I use for my work. I did do a Carbonite backup from my PC which I can access...
  9. Mirror Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mirror Hard Drive: I am trying to mirror my hard drive with an external hard drive. However the add mirror is greyed out. How can I get it ungreyed out. I have created a volume for the external hard drive that didn't work. I tried creating a pool that didn't work. Why is it greyed out....
  10. 2 Windows 10 Installs, 2 Hard Drives, 1 PC

2 Windows 10 Installs, 2 Hard Drives, 1 PC: Hi, I'm sure this is easy and obvious but I can't find an easy guide of what I need to do. Basically my current set up is a Win 10 PC with the OS on an SSD, another SSD and a HDD. I want to add another HDD with a new Win 10 Licence so I can have the option of which to...